Challenge 6: “My Favourite Beverages and Flavours”-Concluded

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge 6: “My Favourite Beverages and Flavours”-Concluded

Unread post by aster »

Hello all, :D

This’ll be so easy...

It’s probably right next to you right now...at the tip of your fingers and its taste still lingering in your mouth after that first sip of satisfaction...its scented vapor still burning in your nostrils...and you feel comforted, at home, happy, bewitching, witty or relaxed for its effects on you.

Show us your favourite hot or cold drink, in any shape or state, just as you love it.

Please send one or more photos for this challenge until 20 April 2009 and we’ll let the forum members decide for the winning-entry.
Forum rules apply for the size of the images. Best-viewed size is around 1000pixels on the longest side.

Thanks
Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david antony
Viceroy

Re: Challenge 6: “My Favourite Beverages and Flavours”

Unread post by david antony »

Good excuse to sample my best, in the early afternoon!

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Nice and very impressive!

I love the texture of the wooden box and the colour of the bottle. '30-years-old' must be a very good age and a pleasure to sample. :)
This challenge thread will be very educating for me for sure, because everytime an entry arrives on the scene I run a search to learn more of its history and making. My father was the good one with Scotch whisky brands and labels so I'm finding this to be a good opportunity to learn from the enthusiasts and experts! :D

To your health David Antony! Cheers...

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Maybe I am just posting this because I am jealous not to have any 30 year old whiskey nearby :mrgreen:
What I wanted to say is that this pic could be much stronger with a better background. The golden figure to the right and the little gnome (Gartenzwerg) are a bit distracting. Maybe try from a different angle with a different background, giving more place to the main 'actors' ?
david antony
Viceroy

Thanks for the advise Bossel, I don't like to contrive too much, but you are right!
I should maybe have had the sofa to the left as the back ground, although that side
is tricky as the wall is all mirrored. Also the rules in say one shot only, photo that is!

Thanks for the informative reply. David A
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I agree with Thomas. It would've been better with a black backdrop and spot lighting. And don't forget those cold water drops all around... hmmm, appetizing :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

david antony wrote:Thanks for the advise Bossel, I don't like to contrive too much, but you are right!
I should maybe have had the sofa to the left as the back ground, although that side
is tricky as the wall is all mirrored. Also the rules in say one shot only, photo that is!

Thanks for the informative reply. David A
Hello David Antony, :)

Actually, you are allowed to participate with as many photos as you like. The starter of the challenge is also the rule maker or breaker; and as the starter of this challenge I made sure that everyone could post as many as they like in my first post. If you wish to improve this photo in any form; you can either delete this photo and upload your new one in its place or continue creating new posts with new images.

Taking into consideration that every country differs for their selection of beverages and that people differ in their choices of favoured-drinks, not necessarilly spirits but maybe coffee, syrups, teas; multiple entries are allowed.

Whatever or whichever drink you think makes life better for you at different times, for different reasons!

Come on everyone! You must be drinking 'something'.... :D Show them off!

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Deleted photo, staggered to the family room and took this!

Last edited by david antony on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi David Antony, :)

I think this composition is better. There are no eye-catchers to distract in the background. I still think that a shallower depth of field would completely isolate the box and the bottle, hence bringing the subject to attention.

Good luck,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

OK, let's revive this challenge a little! :D

Where's everone's drinks? Do you not drink anything during your days and nights? Should I be making emergency calls to the hospital because I am under the impression that our forum members are in a fatal risk of being dehydrated completely ?! :)

And here's my contribution to the challenge: Black coffee & black chocolate

Yildiz

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'll see if I can dig out something capable of showing a mint teabag and some hot water, because that's mainly what I drink all day. Last week I bought some licorice teabags by mistake - YUCCHHH! The most horrible flavour, when hot, imaginable. The entire pack went in the bin just in case I ever accidentally used one again.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Last week I bought some licorice teabags by mistake - YUCCHHH!
David
They would keep you "regular". :shock:
David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Eagerly anticipating your entry David ( Kilpatrick )! :D

And eagerly waiting for yours David ( Breaside ) ! :)

And for yours Olaf! :)

And for all others'... :)

Thought I'd remind everyone... Now, it's time for a break and drink something.. And take a photo of it... :D

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

OK, the teabag is peppermint and nettle, I guess someone has to drink the stuff - I get fed up with just peppermint, so I buy odd varieties to make them taste a bit different. Average day, one large fresh orange juice, two mugs of coffee, two mugs mint tea, two mugs fruit tea, two beers, one whisky. Today I found a Fentiman's Organic Ginger Beer in the pantry after doing a couple of hours gardening in the sun (24C, felt like midsummer, shirt off, getting the sunburn I avoided in Mexico last month!). Strange stuff but thirsty at the time. Could have been quite old. I often find things in the pantry which are at least 10 years old, and today I planted a load of seeds from 2002 packets. Shirley would not let me throw away two expensive restaurant-catering chicken things a bit ago, frozen for at least ten years. They'll be fine.

And this mug is probably 25 years old - chipped, stained (you can't see) and of course I do not use it, but just for Yildiz, I gave it a wash and used it tonight:

Dr Harout can rest assured I was not about to soak the 'ramish' duduk reed in hot tea. I gave one of the Yerevan market duduks to my friend Jack (regularly hikes through Turkey in search of folk music, plays Turkish G clarinet and cumbus) on Friday, he asked for a glass of water from the pub so the reed could have a drink. Sure enough, he got the right sounds out of it. The M-UG will be used with plain water to give the reed a short soak before trying it again!

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you David, that mug is certainly very special. I never had or even seen a MINOLTA mug before. :D

Now, this photo is an authentic David Kilpatrick table top. Everything that David loves and lives to do. I’m very glad that you are rightfully and properly hydrated during your days as you listed David.

Now, let’s see how the others take care of themselves!! :D

The golden cup in the photo I submitted is special for me also. I have many different cups at home that I collected over the years which I use as the mood takes me but this one is part of a set that’s special. My mother and I selected this set when we were shopping in Kuwait city on a touristic trip, in a Japanese china shop which was enormous and full of intricate hand-made silk attires, china, tables, lamps and the like. I was 13 at the time and we had a small tradition of drinking Turkish coffee out of these cups together and small chat. But she’s gone forever now, and 1st April is my birthday so I wished to commemorate her and the memories as I always do on each birthday I had since she’s gone.

Now let’s see those photos!

Yildiz