Challenge #52: birds in flight! Winner: Artington

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
Omega892
Oligarch

Re: Challenge #52: birds in flight! Ends April 30th

Unread post by Omega892 »

I had only just mounted the BigMa (Sigma 50-500) to my then new A700 and this was amongst my first test pics. I saw the Magpie on the aerial and the Pigeon coming in and quickly adjusted to manual focus and had to shoot quickly to catch the moment. Not one of your classic close ups of larger birds but it captures a moment which I have titled Coming & Going. Alternatively it could be dubbed 'Here come the peasants, I'm off!'

'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Nice capture indeed.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

here's my entry, thanks sury :)

a550 + min300/2.8 + 1.4xtc
.....it's all about timing"
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

and a whistling kite
.....it's all about timing"
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

aa los banos wrote:here's my entry, thanks sury :)
Nice one.
Now if only I had one of those lenses but...
...as it is I have added a 2x to my 80-200m f2.8 APO G HSS which is as much as my weakened frame can manage to hold. I have a few disabilities which slow me down and can longer use my Bigma (Sigma 50-500) with any comfort.

What I would like is a good 2.8 tele' with the weight of a kit lens.

This is one reason why I like flash for macro, I can only hold on for a fraction of a second and the flash helps to stop movement. If some consider flash harsh too bad.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

aa los banos wrote:here's my entry, thanks sury :)

Nice. Definitely a contender!

Thanks,
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

This challenge has now ended. Voting will start later this week.

Mark
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark, :)

This has been a great example for a very prolific challenge with an influx of photos so rich in details and bird subjects. :)

I wish to congratulate you on the way you handled the multitude of images as that part is the most time-consuming of all the process when setting up a poll.

Well done! :D I hope your challenge encourages many more of the members to start challenges of their own creation as well.

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Hi Yildiz,

Thank you for your kind words, but it's too much credit. Although numbers of contributors kept falling and some critique poked it's nasty head around the corner, you kept on going on inspiring yourself and others with the challenges you started.

If someone deserves the credits it's you, not me.

Mark
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Mark, you're truly crafty at turning the tables around and loading off the well-deserved credits all in my direction. :)

Thank you but I meant every word and I will not retreat.

You know, the amazing thing was, I never felt disheartened by any of the criticism, especially the so-called nasty ones. Even that happening is a challenge by itself. :)

One can't please everyone at the same time even if one tried very hard and even if the demands were reasonable ones.

I never felt sorry, not once. :) I found it pretty humorous that partcipation decreased but even that is subject to change since change is the only reality that won't change; it's bound to happen either for the better or for the worse.

Don't be discouraged with such things yourself. :) You are better than to take such things as bad signs. It's mostly because the world out there is not at the same place as you are mentally or physically the but it doesn't define who you are or all that you know you achieved or can achieve. : ) It's about life and photographing life around you and challenges are just as good excuses to see some new photos that can take the challenge of a little contest.

If I had more time on my hands, I surely would start a couple of others with just as much enthusiasm.

With my complements.... : ))

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

aster wrote:Mark, you're truly crafty at turning the tables around and loading off the well-deserved credits all in my direction. :)
What can I say? It's a gift ;-)

There is a lot of wisdom in your words. Life is too short for worrying about non-essential things.

I have some ideas for next challenges, so maybe we can combine our ideas for the next one?

Mark
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D A very useful gift!

Thank you! I try to think on a wider basis than meets the eye at tight time frames. :) No need to worry over non-life-threatening matters ....

You're doing great on ideas at the moment but I'd love to share ideas from time to time. :) I think a good "Spring" title might have been a success also, with all the new natural life popping around...Soon it will be summer.

Ideas from all members are welcomed as well, as no one is an outsider to the challenge forums!

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #52: birds in flight! Ended

Unread post by aster »

Hi everyone, :)

Due to the majority of votes in the final poll, our winner is Artington with his photo entitled "Kites Scrapping".
Congratulations Artington! :D

A big thank you to all that contributed, making this a very successful challenge. Mark, thank you for this lovely, energetic challenge. :)

Yildiz

Final Poll
Winner Of Challenge 52.jpg
(109.76 KiB) Downloaded 4595 times
The winning photo: "Kites Scrapping" by Artington