Challenge #56:"Spring Patterns"-Winner Announced

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Re: Challenge #56: "Spring Patterns"

Unread post by ValeryD »

Just to keep Challenge running. :)
Spring color in Winnipeg. :)
Winnipeg Lake by Valery_RW, on Flickr
Everything in the life unusual!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Yay! Long Live The Challenge ! :D

Thank you, Valery. You've just provided a life insurance for the challenge! : )

It's a beautiful image by the way. Those spiky ice crystals are very unusual for someone like me who's used to warm waters like the Mediterranean Sea's.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

You are very welcome! :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Saved by Valery's beautiful Spring ice crystals the challenge deadline has been extended until May 20th, 2015. :D
A big thanks to Valery!

The other small reason for the deadline extension was that Spring in the Northern Hemisphere was taking its time...

Yildiz
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Last edited by Cogito on Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hope you can accept a late entry. I took the picture last weekend, so within the month, but I only just got around to posting it :oops:

New fern fronds opening up in the bluebell woods.

Image2015 The Knapp - Fern Fronds by Birm, on Flickr

A99 and Tamron 90mm
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Cogito, : )

Thank you for your contributions. Nice subjects in all three. The first photo showcases a good example of pattern that is in coherence with the Fibonacci sequence, the other two don't display any repeating pattern I'm afraid. : )
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Birma; :)

I've extended the deadline to May 20th in my initial post already. Notified the forum in my latest messages but you must have been away. No worries!

That is one lovely fern! : ) There're both the Golden Ratio curve and the repetition of the leaves on a shaft... Good work and worth the wait.
Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Yildiz, fair enough! I've deleted the 2 that you deemed inappropriate. try this for size....

and this.

Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you for your understanding, Cogito. :) Much appreciated.

These two, latest submissions, have patterns and repetitions of similar parts. They fit in nicely.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi everyone, :)

Last call for submissions before the deadline, May 20th.!

See you after the deadline, when I'll be back with the announcement of the winner. : )

Yildiz
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

"Hot" Spring in Manitoba (Canada) May 18 2015 :(
18 May 2015 in Winnipeg by Valery Dyck, on Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge #56:"Spring Patterns"-Winner Announced

Unread post by aster »

Hello everyone; : )

Andy's a.k.a. Birma's photo entitled "Fronds" was selected as the winner of this challenge. Please take a look at the comments below to read why and how.

Thank you all who participated. :D Your contributions were most welcome!

For this challenge we had to look for the evidence of repeating patterns in nature, like the ones we find in plant growth: The Fibonacci sequence or the Golden Ratio. It is evident in the individual design of almost all creatures. Visually more recognizable especially in plant growth, both vertically and 3 dimensionally. It's nature's very own efficient design to accommodate more branches, leaves and seeds in a tighter space, to ensure the perpetuation of the species.

Having explained this, I'd like to thank every single participant for their photo contributions. :)

There are photos that fulfill the requirements and there are those that are less descriptive of what we were aiming for, and, I hope I offend nobody as I comment on each photo and also announce the actual winner and why it was selected.

1./ The starter photo by Yildiz/Aster (actually myself) is a good example of a Fibonacci Sequence on a cactus. By using the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens, I tried to emphasize the Fibonacci spirals. Apart from requiring a smoother background bokeh, the shot is good and the tiny water droplets hanging onto the needles add an extra spectacle of freshness.
Because I'm also the starter of the challenge, hence hosting it, the photo is excluded from the contest. :) So, we move on to the other submissions...

2./ Of Henry Richardson's/Bakubo's three submissions, the last one of the fronds falls more fittingly in the lines of requirements. Nicely shot to display the details with an autumnal measure, with the fallen brick-coloured leaf on top. This photo displays a portion of the Fibonacci Sequence on a fern shaft.

3./ Valery's "Winnipeg Lake" which was also submitted to keep the challenge on the go, was a nicely fresh addition to the challenge. The spiked ice crystals, accumulated to form little islands of their own, like crystal flower beds on icy water, are eye-pleasers. But, since they are situated away from the camera and display no regular and easily recognizable patterns, the photo did not win, but, was a welcome scene.

4./ Cogito's photo of a red-leafed new plant, taken from the top is a good example of Fibonacci Sequence in vertical form; you can see how the petioles are alternatingly spaced on the plant shaft. Had Cogito shot the photo at 90 degrees from the top, with no angles, he might have gotten a better shot of the alternating distribution of the leaves. The photo did not win for its tiny size and for the existence of a better photo in the challenge.

**5./ Andy's/Birma's shot entitled "Fern Fronds" is a good shot in many ways: It covers the requirements of the challenge; the Fibonacci Sequence/Golden Spiral is clearly visible in the shapes of both the shaft where the fronds are situated and the fronds themselves. The photo is shot vertically to accommodate a full view of the growth; proportionally pleasing to the eye; has nice warm colours; bears signs of new growth hence conveying freshness. The photo was also taken especially for this challenge within the allocated time frame.
Andy's "Fern Fronds" was selected as the winning entry for this challenge. Ferns and their growth patterns are good and easy-to-find examples of Golden Ratio, hence going for a fern also was a smart move.

Congratulations, Andy! :)

6./ Cogito's second entry of two submissions which showcase starbursts are also associated with the Golden Ratio/Fibonacci Spiral. Had the subjects been selected better, displayed more freshness, framed better to show signs of decisiveness, the patterns could have been more easily traced by the eye of the viewer. The subjects are correct, but cut short of their true value for pattern-displaying. A different lens or angle might have worked better.

7./ Valery Dyck's "18 May 2015 in Winnipeg" is fresh in every aspect possible; the promise of Lilac blossoms half-hidden under fresh, late May snow make for a wonderful shot. I can even imagine the intoxicating fragrance generated by the Lilacs. Lilac blossoms do have a pattern of growth that displays the Golden Ratio in general but there's no sign of it in this lovely, cool shot. Nicely framed with pleasing proportions, the shot also has a neat background bokeh that blends into bright light in the distance. Unfortunately, the photo did not meet the particular requirement of the challenge.

Thank you all,

Yildiz

Andy's/Birma's winning photo: "Fern Fronds"
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: Challenge #56:"Spring Patterns"-Winner Announced

Unread post by the_hefay »

Congratulations Andy!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Yildiz, I'm very honoured :D and thanks for the congrats Jeff.

I'm glad you connected why I chose a fern as a subject. Truely amazing plants.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations, Birma! :)

Nicely observed about ferns indeed; they are truly ancient plants dating back even before the dinosaurs walked the face of the earth. Their survival story is a testimony for using the Golden Ratio as the efficient design to perpetuate the species.

" Ferns are a very ancient family of plants: early fern fossils predate the beginning of the Mesozoic era, 360 million years ago. They are older than land animals and far older than the dinosaurs. They were thriving on Earth for two hundred million years before the flowering plants evolved."
quote from: FERN HISTORY

Thanks for participating, :)

Yildiz