Challenge#60 Evaluations Thread-Ended

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge#60 Evaluations Thread-Ended

Unread post by aster »

Evaluations and Winner Announcement of Challenge #60: “We’re Going Autumnal !”

Hi everyone; :)

Thanks for your kind participation in the challenge our 3 three contributors Sury, Cogito and Tom/UrsaMajor. :)

*..Sury contributed with multiple shots that show saturation of colour bursts mostly -as he aptly pointed out- in layers, that mostly closed in on the subjects, the trees.

*..Tom/UrsaMajor worked his shots around the same neighbourhood where he was born, focusing on the same gorgeously magestic orange tree and the intense fog.

*..Cogito surprises us with his willingness for post-processing and divergence from the the natural colours or context of autumn.

...................................................................................................................

Winner is UrsaMajor and the reasons can be found below:

Evaluation: Apart from frame-usage deficiencies, what the presented frames show is that the actual scenery had a lot to offer in context of Autumn. When there’s such a singular/solitary, huge and spectacular tree that almost devours the larger part of the frames, the viewer is left wondering what difference would a wider and horizontal take on the neighbourhood make; since the fog is mystic and beautiful but also taking the most of the background of the neat houses and the tree is occupying the vertical half of the frame, there’s not much estate left to enjoy a full autumnal joy.

The scene comprises everything an autumn context and atmosphere would beg for but Tom’s singular takes constantly hides what we may have enjoyed with an uninhibited panorama of the neighbourhood. Regarding the walkway that alignes the waterbank that gently curves to converge with the street on the right, a little more of what is to the right would have been good; we would have liked to see the convergence of the bending walkway and street and also what lies ahead.

In this challenge I did not select a single shot as the winner but the overall body of work the participant presented to us. All of the shots by Tom/UrsaMajor are qualifying him as the winner but one shot that panned the same scenery would have been much better.

Sought Colourfulness and context: The huge orange tree against the softness of the fog and the town houses all provide the atmospherics of autumn colours.

Frame usage: Very tight. Everything appears to be cut short of their potentials.

Technique; Sharpness; Post-processing: Orange for Sony Alpha cameras, very much like reds, is a difficult colour to process in-camera. The first tree on the walkway by the water bank suffers from loss of colour distinction; the leaves are almost hard to identify in their clutters but appear more like a blend of various shades of orange water colourings. The trees further ahead are in better condition of being distinctive and sharp. As mentioned before, a wider take on the chosen scenery portions would be more helpful. There’s no over-saturation done during post-processing. Smart move because the lovely orange of the tree suffices for all that is required in a tree that’s going through the changes of autumnal phenomena.

Layers: are evident on the water bank shot, by the curvilinear lining of the the trees and the gorgeous fog on the water but more could be made visible if the shot was wider.

Same assessment applies to the shots of the row of houses and the big tree: layers are present horizontally but are cut short.

Thank you Tom/UrsaMajor. And congratulations !

Yildiz

(to be continued)

Tom's contributed body of work:

Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Evaluations and Winner Announcement of Challenge #60: “We’re Going Autumnal !”

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - spectacular autumn colour - well done Tom! :)

My apologies as I must have missed this at the time due to impending/recent birth of daughter number two. I like the amazing colours in the trees, as well as seeing the trees within the street scene. Looks a great place to live.

Thanks to Yildiz as well for running the great challenges. :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
dewarp
Oligarch

Re: Evaluations and Winner Announcement of Challenge #60: “We’re Going Autumnal !”

Unread post by dewarp »

Congratulations Tom - wonderful autumn display there.

(As a Subaru fan, I particularly like the choice of automobile featured :wink: )

regards - Peter
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Congratulations Tom. Wonderful depiction of Fall colors.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Sury; :)

Thank you kindly for participating in this challenge ! These submissions open a new window in the evaluations: photos that look as though they could also be oil paintings. :)

Your photos comprise of inter/counter-acting colour patches that actually are real plants. I like how you observed the sense of colour at close ups rather than finding a whole scenery. There are striking geometrical shapes that come with bright and glittering appearances under a bright sunlight. The big red tree on the curving road and the ‘layered’ photos being the most eye-catching to this experimentation.

My favourite is the fifth entry with all the joyous geometrical forms coming in so many different bright and deep colours; glistening green, burgundy, mahogany and red in the distance. You were right to describe the capture as layered; not only do the colours contribute to this but the geometrical forms that appear to come one after the other. These geometrical forms and colours could have been painted on a canvas and it would look great as well.

Sought Colourfulness and Context: The colours are all very nice and natural. The chosen subjects are very pleasant to look at, if a little cropped here and there contributing to a loss of focus and concept. I understand where you were heading with the close-ups but I think you could have created better frames if you went a little wider in some.

Frame Usage: Tight. In some of the five photos this works better but in most it causes cropped subjects.

Technique; Sharpness; Post-processing: The ‘Busyness’ photo, 4th entry, is my favourite in the close-ups. It actually can benefit from a bright blue sky in the background but the overlapping leaf and seed clusters blending in and out with a little blurriness is delightful and good on the eyes.

The second entry has purple-fringing problems against the blue of the sky. The sharpness in the required areas in all photos are good.

Layers: Layers are more present in the fourth and fifth photos and contribute a great deal.

Note:
This challenge could have gone to a tie between your and UrsaMajor’s photos because of your layered shots (4,5) but since Tom submitted a more autumnal scenery with the background mist, fired-up orange tree he was closer to the context of the challenge.

Thank you for your contributions. And congratulations for being a tight contender !

Thanks
Yildiz

Sury's submissions:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Cogito; :)

Thank you for your contributions to the challenge. You definitely have an innate love for elaborate colouring in post-production. Your photo shot on the way to Yosemite (#4), reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock’s movie ‘Psycho’, the frame could easily have made the background for some of the generics of the movie. :)

We were in search of a more ‘natural look’ that wouldn’t be concealed behind randomly thrown-in purples or pinks. When you do that we can’t see how the true colours of the natural surroundings were. This challenge was more about catching and capturing the season’s true colours.

The glorious tree taken in Alonquin lacks sharpness and requires more space vertically to help us see where the tree trunk actually meets the ground and how. Also, for some reason the blue of the sky is bleeding to the right of the frame (#3). The reason for such smudging of blue could be examined further and eliminated.

Thank you for your kind participation.

Thanks,
Yildiz

Cogito's submissions:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you, Birma. :)

Yildiz
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

aster wrote:.

Hi Cogito; :)

Thank you for your contributions to the challenge. You definitely have an innate love for elaborate colouring in post-production. Your photo shot on the way to Yosemite (#4), reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock’s movie ‘Psycho’, the frame could easily have made the background for some of the generics of the movie. :)

We were in search of a more ‘natural look’ that wouldn’t be concealed behind randomly thrown-in purples or pinks. When you do that we can’t see how the true colours of the natural surroundings were. This challenge was more about catching and capturing the season’s true colours.
Yildiz, as I mentioned, all of these images were shot on film. If you want, I'll send you the negatives so that you can determine how much "randomly thrown-in purples and pinks there is. The amount of elaborate colouring in post processing is ZERO.
aster wrote:The glorious tree taken in Alonquin lacks sharpness and requires more space vertically to help us see where the tree trunk actually meets the ground and how. Also, for some reason the blue of the sky is bleeding to the right of the frame (#3). The reason for such smudging of blue could be examined further and eliminated.

Thank you for your kind participation.

Thanks,
Yildiz
Even in Algonquin the wind blows. Mea culpa. I must obviously enhance my post processing technique to eliminate wind.
But thank you for your comments.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you for your commentary and feedback. It is always a delight to read your interpretation of the photos and analysis.
I have always enjoyed your perspective and to say the least they have been educational. They have helped me both in reinforcing
my current thinking and often open up new doors. Once again, your time and effort are much appreciated.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Tony/Cogito; :)

I have read your comments on the photos and was/am aware that they were shot on film. But as a photographer of our digital photography era, in the most recent sense, I'm sure you also are aware of the number of software that make possible any type of photo/image editing to any preference. Having seen the purple and pink tinted areas in the photos, I naturally assumed that you had the photos scanned and processed to your heart's desire. :) I have to admit my film-era photo-shooting period wasn't that long and I almost am a digital-era photographer. I really don't know how film produces these tints and not capture the natural colours. Probably specially manufactured film types?

No, you don't have to send the negatives. :D I believe you 100% but I hope you understand how it looked to my eyes as well.

Digital era, digital post-processing changed all of us. We now know that everything is possible with a couple of buttons and touches of what a software can do. :)

Thank you for enquiring an explanation. I hope you never stop shooting and sharing with us! We're ready to receive your best shots, how about you ? See you, hopefully, many times more in the photo threads.

Thanks,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Yildiz,
Thank you for your commentary and feedback. It is always a delight to read your interpretation of the photos and analysis.
I have always enjoyed your perspective and to say the least they have been educational. They have helped me both in reinforcing
my current thinking and often open up new doors. Once again, your time and effort are much appreciated.

Sury

Dear Sury; :)

A kind personality always is generous, as yourself, with words and appreciation. Thank you. :)

You may have realized that 'educational' goes both ways; I learn about the possibilities of perception and understanding when I have to look through so many differing photos myself. All participants are so different... :)
This challenge about going 'Autumnal' really sort of made me reluctant to write any assessments at all, since none of the entries fully addressed my expected 'autumn scenery' but posed portions of it in single shots, I finally decided to make the final decision by evaluating 'the submitted body of work' by the photographer. Partially the reason for being late... I just didn't want to out-rule anyone or anything.
I guess I was expecting photos like the ones we used to see being shot a couple of years back, when I started the challenge. Times change. :)

Yildiz