Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on .."- Evaluations Thread-Winner: Peter / Dewarp

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on .."- Evaluations Thread-Winner: Peter / Dewarp

Unread post by aster »

Welcome to winner announcement; :D

Peter/Dewarp is the winner of Challenge #61 with his shot of “Clouds over False Bay”. Congratulations, Peter !

Peter / Dewarp has been very honest with us on how and when his entries were photographed, not exactly a summer Sun shot with its heat beating down. Since other members also did not submit photos that were taken recently during Summer 2016, the criteria for evaluation rests on how the photos appear to the eye and other technical criteria comprised of Frame Estate Usage, Framing, Presentation and other visually appealing features.

Evaluation on “Clouds over False Bay”:

Colours: Rich warm colours of subtle shimmering gray tones and yellows/oranges that rather unexpectedly create a welcome warmth. This is a photo that I could almost feel the humidity in the air.

The shimmering silver-gray of the ocean water and the converging cloud elements with the contrail focus the eyes on the horizon. It’s a vast and pleasant horizon to look at with no single dull element but a mixture of many good ones.

Atmosphere of the Photo:It’s not an over-crowded photo but a serene one that avoids everything but the ocean and the sky above it. The picture is clear as well as the message; it’s a direct scenery that evolves around Sun and only water and its physical qualities: water, water vapour (clouds), condensed aircraft trails (contrails) which are ice crystals, yet an other state of water.

Post-processing and Presentation: Peter has been kind to us in explaining his workflow which is quite time-consuming and bent towards more artistic ambitions that may or may not stray from the state of the original shot but I’m judging the final visual product and the effects it has on the viewer rather than seeking a true-timing that is relevant to the Sun and its warmth.

I, therefore, thank Peter for his attention to detail and respect for his photography work.

He also presented us with a tutorial that disclosed the secrets behind the look that his second image of a dried lake and barren trees. A huge thanks goes to him for that particular work as well.

Thank you for your contribution, Peter. :D

Yildiz
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on my shoulders.."- Winner Announced

Unread post by sury »

Congratulations Peter.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on my shoulders.."- Winner Announced

Unread post by Birma »

That is a lovely light over the sea and it certainly has a warm glow - well done Peter!

An interesting critique as always Yildiz :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Thanks for the work that went into the challenge and the critique Yildiz.

Thanks for the support Sury and Andy.

regards - Peter
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Congrats Peter.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Continuing with reviews.. : )

The following beautiful image by Peter / Dewarp did not win for the reasons listed below the image.

Peter / Dewarp’s second entry is a work of art, shaped and painted by his desire to reach a certain look in his photo. He succeeds by the use of colour selection and setting of the drama. The mood-setter in this photo are the barren, spooky-looking, dead tree remains, with the background taken over by an apocalyptic pink-blue grazed sky...the scene could have been an aftermath photo of a field burnt to a lifeless state by a nuclear bomb gone off somewhere nearby. Reminded me of the catastrophe Chernobyl, suffered, resulting in radiation-inflicted, lifeless, once-organic life forms...But, in fact, the scene was described by Peter as having resulted from a more innocent intervention: a dam lake's water temporarily submerged these trees that were once-alive and green and altered their appearances in the process.

The photo being a software-manipulated version of reality as we know it moves into the realm of cinematography. It is so well done that the ‘cheating of reality’ is replaced with a curiosity for why the photographer / artist chose this final setting.

Peter informed us that the yellows on the tree trunks were an artistic choice by him. Had he not opened up about the earlier state of reality of this shot, I might have blamed some chemical reaction burning the trunk off of its natural colour.

The Frame Estate Usage: Good. The biggest tree trunk which makes the most visual impact in the photo is positioned -from left- to occupy the first 1/3 of the frame and leaves the other 2/3 to the less significant trees.

Post-production and Presentation: As was explained by Peter / Dewarp, he put a good deal of work into his alterations and succeeds in very impactful final visual products.

Context of the photo against the context of the challenge: The alterations don’t necessarily produce a summer day with bright light that radiates warmth / heat but instead produce more of a chilling evening scene.

It’s a final product that deserves praises. It leaves room for different views and perceptions.

Thank you for your participation Peter. :D

Yildiz

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Yet again you have done it. I am enjoying your reviews as much as the submissions and I see the images in a different light after reading your interpretation. It is helping me to see them altogether in a different light (no pun intended). Thank you.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Cool photos! Congratulatons!

Also, great work, Yildiz!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Cool photos! Congratulatons!

Also, great work, Yildiz!
Thank you, Henry. :D

Yildiz
dewarp
Oligarch

Re: Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on .."- Evaluations Thread-Winner: Peter / Dewarp

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi Yildiz

Thanks for your additional comments on my skeletal tree image. I nearly missed seeing this!

Normally our dams hit their peak around this time of the year, and Theewaterskloof is currently only 53% full, which is the worst in many years.

regards - Peter
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge #61:"Summer Sun-I walk with Sun on .."- Evaluations Thread-Winner: Peter / Dewarp

Unread post by aster »

dewarp wrote:Hi Yildiz

Thanks for your additional comments on my skeletal tree image. I nearly missed seeing this!

Normally our dams hit their peak around this time of the year, and Theewaterskloof is currently only 53% full, which is the worst in many years.

regards - Peter

You're more than welcome, Peter. :)

There's a unique richness added to the challenge with each participant's entry and motives for shooting the particular photo. The views on the other photos are about to be uploaded as well.... : )

Hope the dam reservoirs soon reach a more satisfying fullness. Water that is clean and well-processed is our prime source of life and there's smaller amount of good things on our planet by every passing second.

Yildiz