Challenge #62:"Patterns of: Frozen; Dead; Lifeless Forms"-Submissions until 01 November 2016

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge #62:"Patterns of: Frozen; Dead; Lifeless Forms"-Submissions until 01 November 2016

Unread post by aster »

Hello everyone and welcome to the new challenge ! :D

Challenge #62: "Patterns of: Frozen; Dead; Lifeless Forms" - is about patterns we see in nature that have lost their natural life forms, like leafless trees in a pattern or alignment or repeating shapes; frozen lake or sea surface covered with ice crystal patterns; lawns / grass covered in ice spike patterns on frosty mornings or days; icicles etc. Especially patterns of shapes and forms that inspire lifelessness and cold would be a strong approach to this challenge.

The examples can be increased in number but I'd like you to improvise and conform the topic to your findings in nature or otherwise. You can actually challenge us with your own style and eye.

All is up to your will and choices. Surprise us! :D

Looking forward to all entries.

Good luck!

Yildiz

Specifications:
1./ Challenge #62 will run through 24/Sept/2016 - Tuesday 01/Nov/2016
2./ The image dimensions must not exceed 1024*1024 pixels and the file size should be smaller than 250 KB.
3./ You can enter with 3 of your favourite images at the most.
4./ Creative thinking is encouraged. :) Would be nice to see newly taken photos.
5./ Enjoy!
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge #62:"Patterns of: Frozen; Dead; Lifeless Forms"-Submissions until 01 November 2016

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

What about shells of see creatures?
Are they OK for this challenge?
Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Re: Challenge #62:"Patterns of: Frozen; Dead; Lifeless Forms"-Submissions until 01 November 2016

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

This one is actually hanging on my wall:
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D A neat interpretation of the challenge topic, Marcell. Well done!

Very much in the context of the challenge.

And good home accessories too...

Thank you for sharing,

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

3 David Antony-piranha- i-fLpM6rs-L.jpg
(99.85 KiB) Downloaded 4511 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Everyone's photos are great!

I greatly felt the impression of lifelessness when I saw this. KM 7D in Texas, 2005.

Alas, poor Yorick!

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Welcome to the challenge David Antony and Henry. :)

These two specimens look very much 'dead' and intimidating as far as the piranha goes although it lives a shelf life as is seen in the photo .... Brazil must be abundant with them swimming and hunting in its rivers.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, here's something dead with someone live mocking it's tongue hanging out!

This was Elizabeth's deer from the youth hunt in 2013. Emma goes with me this year Oct 29/30, so maybe I'll get to submit another.
Lizzards Deer.jpg
(119.42 KiB) Downloaded 5061 times
Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yildiz, you are like Monty Python entreating us to bring out our dead. Actually, I have more. :lol: Dead insects, snakes, frogs, etc. No one has ever asked for them before though. :)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Bring out your dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91L7LhH-wg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Yildiz, you are like Monty Python entreating us to bring out our dead. Actually, I have more. :lol: Dead insects, snakes, frogs, etc. No one has ever asked for them before though. :)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Bring out your dead!

[...]

:) Do you see trackable visible patterns in those photos, that keep the eye and the brain engaged as though it were an authentic scenery onto itself and by itself, Henry ? Then please submit. The aim of the challenge is to make us, the viewers, feel the isolation and the cold and if there is, to see the patterns these objects and bodies form; like ice-clad trees of a neck of woods and similar.
Dead animals with their vertebrae visible would be a fine example, the small bones forming a linear repetition of similar-shaped-and-sized bones locked into eachother at each end... I don't know if you can quite picture this in your mental eye ? :)

Everyone has some skeletons hidden somewhere in their mental compartments or for real and I guess the challenge can bring that to mind but this was more of a challenge to find a sense of lifelessness or stillness that brought the idea of 'cold' and 'dead' to mind through photography. Winter, especially in cold climates can serve to create such stills through snow and ice formations.

But if you wish to go literally 'dead' and want to submit dead creatures, then maybe it's a good idea to see if these dead bodies have any repeating patterns that are aesthetically comprehensible and also quite visible.
Does your snake have a visible vertebrae? Bones of a snake can make a good pattern. :) The more repeating patterns the better.

But if you wish to use this thread in parallel to Monty Phyton's job and wish to use it as a clearance opportunity, let's see what you have and how you approached the dead !

Hi Dusty; : )

You are raising your girls tough, I see. Starting hunting at an early age and the killing of gentle-looking deers is rather tough in my case but life shapes us in many different ways and some tough decisions are always required to be made. There's certainly a learning curve there: Cycle of Life. Good luck to gorgeously lovely Emma !

Thanks for sharing your photos everyone! : )

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

You will notice in my photo the repetitive pattern of the skull's teeth. :)
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Dusty wrote:Well, here's something dead with someone live mocking it's tongue hanging out!
This was Elizabeth's deer from the youth hunt in 2013. Emma goes with me this year Oct 29/30, so maybe I'll get to submit another.
Dusty
How unpleasant to see a child mocking death - your words - and with the obvious approval of a parent.Image
And I can't see any pattern or repetition in your shot - I hope your next daughter is less successful.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:You will notice in my photo the repetitive pattern of the skull's teeth. :)
Indeed we see the pattern of the skull's teeth, Henry. :) And I did make a note of that as soon as I saw the photo, I assure you. One better take on this carcase would have been a close up of that same area putting the teeth and part of the skull in a perspective ... : )

If you have similar subjects and the time to upload, please do so. This and similar offer reason for thought. : )

Thanks for sharing, Henry.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Cogito wrote:
Dusty wrote:Well, here's something dead with someone live mocking it's tongue hanging out!
Dusty
How unpleasant to see a child mocking death - your words - and with the obvious approval of a parent.[img].....[/img]
And I can't see any pattern or repetition in your shot - I hope your next daughter is less successful.

Hi Cogito;

We're a small forum with a few dedicated members who thankfully always are kind and considerate for others' emotions and have a right to freely expressing themselves, yourself included. Your thoughts, views and feelings for sensitive situations and matters matter to us also but I believe we all need to be more sensitive with the language we use while addressing eachother.

I agree that a lovely small girl overtly showing expressions of triumph next to a hunted and dead nature's creature as lovely as herself is a sight which is awkard and not for everyone's eyes and heart. But we're not judging anyone's parental skills and responsibilities on this forum because once we go down that lane we'll never reach a conclusion that can set anyone's mind at rest nor satisfy their requirements of gratification in the short or long run.

That's why I'll keep my own thoughts to myself on that subject ... but I ofcourse understand your reaction.

Let's hope that everyone will be safe ... since we really can't control everyone and every situation.

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

aster wrote:...
Hi Dusty; : )

You are raising your girls tough, I see. Starting hunting at an early age and the killing of gentle-looking deers is rather tough in my case but life shapes us in many different ways and some tough decisions are always required to be made. There's certainly a learning curve there: Cycle of Life. Good luck to gorgeously lovely Emma !

Thanks for sharing your photos everyone! : )

Yildiz
I realize hunting is not for everyone and they think that the hamburger they eat come from the "magic meat man", :P however I only posted this one as; a) there is something dead, and b) Elizabeth's mocking it's tongue hanging out falls under Marriam-Webster's definition of mock in section 4a - " to imitate (as a mannerism) closely : mimic".

That, in my mind, (corrupted as it may be by doing my own dirty work to procure meat) constitutes a pattern: her tongue, the deer's tongue. I also had a shot of the chest cavity, showing the ribs all evenly spaced in succession, but thought it a bit too gory to post.

Thank you and I'll convey your wish of good luck to Emma.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).