Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

Unread post by aster »

Hello and welcome to our Winter challenge, "Winter Through my Lens". :D

We end 2016 and start 2017 with our 64th challenge ! Wishing everyone a very happy and delightful Christmas and of course a new year. May love and joy of life surround and be in us all ! :D

Winter already is prevailing in all its frosty and snowy conditions in the many geographies in the Northern Hemisphere. Please share with us your winter scenery photos that you have taken as you fitted into your view frame.

Here's a short slideshow merely for inspiration: Snowy Winter Scenery

Looking forward to your submissions. :)

Good Luck,

Yildiz

Specifications:
1./ Challenge #64 will run through 20/Dec./2016 - 21/Jan/2017
2./ The image dimensions must not exceed 1024*1024 pixels and the file size should be smaller than 250 KB.
3./ You can enter with 3 of your favourite images at the most.
4./ Creative thinking is encouraged. Would be nice to see newly taken photos.
5./ Disclaimer: The calender of the challenge may be updated later depending on the season's requirements and should you wish to take new photos.
6./ Enjoy!

Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: (New) Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

Unread post by Birma »

Sadly no snow here, but we have had a few frosty and misty mornings.

Image2016 Malvern - Mist and Frost by Birm, on Flickr

Sony A7II with Sony FE 24-70/4
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: (New) Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

Unread post by the_hefay »

Lovely winter scene. I now feel like having a cup of hot cocoa.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Jeff :)
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

Unread post by sury »

Nice shot Andy. I will take Jeff's suggestion of hot cocoa and fortify it with something stronger :lol: .

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
sury

Re: Challenge #64: "Winter through My Lens" -Submissions-20 Dec.2016-21 January 2017

Unread post by sury »

The challenge says "Winter Through My Lens". Though the implied elements are snow and frost, and since I don't live anywhere close those key elements, I took the license of interpreting the challenge literally. This is the winter through my lens (taken on Dec.27).
Pismo Beach, California. For better or worse, some of us live where winter does not mean snow and frost. :D

Then I went through my archives and found these two that would meet the spirit of the challenge. :)
Lake Tahoe, California.

the_hefay
Viceroy

Sury, I really like the last one. As far as winter goes, I'm actually moving into summer and so my winter photos are of the beach also. :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Good morning from 2017 ! May it be a much better year than its predecessor 2016 ; :D

Andy and Sury, thank you for your lovely and relevant contributions.

:) Jeff, unfortunately, scientifically and climate-wise, when scientists speak of 'winter' and 'winter climate conditions' they usually point to the weather and scenery changes that take place in the Northern Hemisphere, hence the samples slideshow of snowy scenes, I'm afraid. For such reasons, we, humans tend to overlook the fact that winter period usually juxtoposes with the summery conditions of the Southern Hemisphere, with highs like 20+ Celcius degrees and above.
If you believe that some scenes or beach conditions you may be experiencing over where you are, are of interest, first to your mind's eye and then to us, I think I'm all for it. : ) Beauty is everywhere.

Thanks again for participating with such neat shots and taking the time to upload yesterday, at such a busy time of the last year ! :D

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Sury and Yildiz :)

Sury, I like the 'lines on the beach' picture it has a very graphic quality. Lovely to see proper snow pictures too!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Yildiz, I completely understand what you're saying about the predominance of northern season ideologies. My comment was mostly a way of spewing out syllables over the internet. :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

the_hefay wrote:Yildiz, I completely understand what you're saying about the predominance of northern season ideologies. My comment was mostly a way of spewing out syllables over the internet. :D
:D

Looking forward to your reverse-challenging photo submissions, should you care to share some. :)

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Very nice Birma, you captured more than a photo.

I’ll take Pismo Beach sury, looking good. Been quite
while since I was there.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you David.

Sury
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

South Surrey White Rock, Nicomekl river area today Jan 12. Not much snow but really cold.

Pineapple Express on its way for the week-end. (っ◕‿◕)っ

Stephanie cleaned out many of her galleries including my PCA. gallery.

Consequently my photos are all gone!

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice winter-related shots, DavidAntony. :)
Easy to imagine how cold it is out there.

I also reuploaded all of your photos that I was keeping safe in my 'evaluations folders'. Deletion of photos in your PCA gallery won't affect the entries in the challenges after all. Take a look if you like... :)

Thanks for sharing your neat photos.

Yildiz