How to make panorama with moving elements?

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: How to make panorama with moving elements?

Unread post by bakubo »

Okay, I will try Hugin again. I searched and couldn't find a way to reorient the images, but maybe I just missed it. For this particular panorama, which I took as a test to see how different software handles the extreme ghosting, I just used the out-of-camera digicam jpegs so they haven't been rotated. Also, I took them right to left.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

This is the Fisheye soution that I was talking about: Sunex. Alas, only on Nikon and Canon mount...
http://www.superfisheye.com/
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have been working with Hugin 0.7 now for a total of about maybe 8-10 hours in the last couple of days. Here again is the original from Autostitch (I made one using Panorama Factory too, but it looks pretty much the same):

Larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/kuhio_beach_pano.jpg

Here is the result from Hugin:

Larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/kuhio_b ... _hugin.jpg

Take a look at the larger images -- they are not huge (just 480 pixels tall and less than 250kb). Notice that Hugin fixed the ghosting pretty well! Also, notice that the horizon is jagged in places and is wavy.

I have to say that Hugin is one of the most frustrating pieces of software that I can recall using in years. First off, there is essentially no documentation and the tutorials on the site often contradict each other. It seems extremely buggy and stuff doesn't work like the tutorials say. I don't mean stuff is just different, but stuff that is completely flaky. A miserable experience. Maybe the 0.8 experimental version is better, but there isn't a Windows version yet. Considering how well it handled some really tough ghosting though I am hoping that by the time it gets to version 1.0 it will be in much better shape!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I know Daniel likes Hugin, but as a non-tech software user (no compiling, etc) I find both this type of open source software and the obscure/dismissive attitude of developers - voluntary but contemptuous of all who do not understand the stuff in depth - a poor second to paying for shareware or commercial programs with civil support for mere humans.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

No offense meant to Daniel. He is using 0.8 though and it is probably in much better shape. Often at these stages of development (prior to version 1.0) each iteration is a major improvement over the previous version. Unfortunately, Hugin 0.7 is so flaky it is almost unusable. Lots of things just don't seem to work. The interface is buggy too. Also, sometimes you get just really totally crazy results. I found it close to unusable, at least for this test panorama of 10 images. I spent a couple of hours carefully doing a bunch of control points and thought that it was going to be worth it. Unfortunately, the rest of the software after doing the control points needs a lot of work and I spent many hours working with it and trying different things. Oh well, it is only version 0.7. It is not 1.0 for a reason.

Autostitch preparation time: 10 seconds
Panorama Factory preparation time: 2 minutes
Hugin preparation time: hours and hours

Even with the ghosting the Autostitch and Panorama Factory results are better. One of these days Hugin is probably going to be pretty good though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a new panorama I made yesterday at the Kapahulu Groin:

Here's a larger version (236kb, 480 pixels high):

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/kapahulu_groin_pano.jpg

Instead of 10-15 images I decided to make just 3 using the Sony 11-18mm at 11mm so that I would have fewer overlap regions. That would reduce the chance of ghosts, I hoped. Years ago I read that for panoramas you should use an effective 35mm+ focal length so that is what I always try to do. I decided to violate that advice for this one though. Autostitch and Panorama Factory stitches had some ghosts, but I decided to try Hugin 0.7 again and this time it worked much better. The panorama above was the one made with Hugin. It seems that Hugin doesn't work well with the 10 8mp images in my earlier panorama but if you give it only 3 that were resized to just 1200x800 pixels it worked!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Maybe I'm judging from Wordpress - the forums associated with it have always contained a lot of 'if you don't know how to adjust the heat, stay away from the stove' posts from the co-operative developers. Some are very helpful, others are not.

David