Infrared Filters

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: Infrared Filters

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Here is one I took the same day at about 10 am, clear skies. I like to have the sun at my back whenever possible to illuminate the subject better, and to reduce flare. ISO 100, 18mm, f7.1, 21 sec, RAW Creative Style B/W, contrast increased 50 in IDC and .75 exposure increase, converted to Jpeg and resized. It was November 22nd, so not may leaves left, but you can see on the other trees that still had foliage how white they are. John
Edit Cokin SFX gel filter- should be 720nm....
Attachments
tree resize.jpg
(375.86 KiB) Downloaded 2384 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice one, John.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Juanito200
Viceroy

Thanks, Doc. I was so happy when I found out that my a200's sensor was IR sensitive. I've been itching for Spring ever since.
Birma I came across this:
http://www.dynaxdigital.com/taking-phot ... otography/
I hope it helps.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Juanito200 wrote:Birma- The main problem with your two photos isn't your technique. It is the time of year. When all the foliage around the dead tree is green, then you will get the Woods effect. Dead wood, brown grass all have low IR reflectance. Wait until spring and you will notice a huge difference.
EDIT Sorry Birma- I didn't see the sentence at the bottom.....You are getting close.
As far as the technique I used in my tree shot, I shot RAW ISO 100 or 200 I'd have to look. Creative style B/W. I then played with the contrast, exposure, DRO in IDC to achieve the 'glow'. I am usually at about f7- f11, to negate focus difference, and I just count out the seconds with my manual release cable. (sorry I don't do it more precisely!) I'll post some others with the exposure data. I'm biding my time right now by scoping out locations for spring... Hope this helps- John
That is a great help - thanks John :D . I'm pleased to know I'm on the right lines. I suspected that more "green" was needed. Roll on spring!.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Juanito200
Viceroy

:lol: