Aftermarket external battery packs.

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
Juanito200
Viceroy

Aftermarket external battery packs.

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Has anyone used any of the aftermarket external battery packs for the HVL-56am and other alpha flashes? The knock-off ones on fleabay etc. are considerably cheaper than the genuine ones. Are there risks to the flash? Thanks in advance. Johnhttp://cgi.ebay.com/External-Flash-Batt ... 518a4ce705
I am also quite leery of buying from Hong Kong....I would try to source something stateside..
Like this one...I've used Opteka before with good results.http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-External-H ... 660&sr=8-1
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Aftermarket external battery packs.

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I use the Opteka unit with good results. Recycle times are fast enough that I almost never find myself waiting on the flash unless I did lots of full pops. If you're doing 1/4 pops, it'll keep up with you all day long it seems.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: Aftermarket external battery packs.

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Thanks Kevin- I couldn't remember if you had one or not. I shot numerous candids during the rehersal and reception for my sister in laws wedding, and was constantly waiting or changing overheated batteries. It was very frustrating! I became quite jealous of the photographer's battery pack, as she never slowed down.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!