tripod lubricant?

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
motor
Heirophant

tripod lubricant?

Unread post by motor »

I have a carbon tripod that has one section of the legs that are sticky. I think it was sap that somehow got on one section and when closed smeared on next etc. I took it apart and wiped it down really good. It is now all clean and works fine accept now I think it needs a little oil on it. I don't want to use anything that could get on my hands and in the future then onto my lenses etc. Any ideas? What type of lubricant do they normally put on tripods fittings? Silicon, oil, peanut or veg oil? I would asume natural nothing like WD40.

Motor
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: tripod lubricant?

Unread post by Dusty »

Any oil that doesn't absorb completely could possible get on your hands and then onto a lens. You might also look at a dry graphite lube, or one of the Teflon based lubes on the market.

Dusty
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Contact the manufacturer.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would use petroleum jelly - vaseline. Very small quantity.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

how about just plain ole candle wax ?
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I would use petroleum jelly - vaseline. Very small quantity.

David
I tend toward silicon grease, far more reliable than petroleum jelly. My favorite for a lot of long term uses is silicon stopcock/high vacuum grease, which does not tend to travel and is immune to just about everything. Also virtually never ages. Apply and spread lightly and then wipe down leaving a almost invisible film.

I do agree with someone else who suggested asking the manufacturer before trying anything. Some modern stuff is pretty delicate.

Walt
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Thanks guys

I did contact Induro and for $6 the sent me all new rings for 2 sets of legs (six in total). I wiped each leg down with a degreaser and then wiped them with WD-40 and let them air dry. They said WD-40 would remove any chemicals I put on for degreasing and then really wiped everything down after dried with water. They really shined an I felt no oil at all. I really cleaned them several times just to make sure it was all gone. I applied the new rings and they sent me a small tube of "you are correct Walt" silicone based lube. I put a small smear of it on each set of three rings and it works perfect again. I am guessing the rings even though I cleaned them still had sap and doggie-doo stuck to them and even though I cleaned each leg I bet their was still scum on them before I cleaned them. I kept the old rings and degreased them. I put them in a small bag with the lube and will try putting them in in the future if I ever have a problem again.

Moater