Bl**dy hell - what on earth is this Sony tripod?

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Bl**dy hell - what on earth is this Sony tripod?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It does not appear to work with the A99 etc - something really incredible - take a look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VCT-VPR1-SONY ... EL:GB:1123

This is Adrian, Photostore, selling this item. I do not have a camera is is supposed to be compatible with. But it seems remarkable - a tripod to control power zoom and all kinds of other functions?

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Bl**dy hell - what on earth is this Sony tripod?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That's the VCT-VPR1, and there are also a new VCT-VPR10 (carbon fiber tripod) and VCT-VPR100 (twin shank tripod).

No, the first two aren't immediately compatible with the A99, but they can be made so, with some limitations. They use the new Multi Terminal Cable system, introduced for the most recent wave of cameras. The port on the remote itself is the most proprietary part of the system, but at least two cables are available with that connector, one adapting to a Micro USB Type B connector (Multi Terminal), and one adapting to the familiar corded remote commander connection (Remote Terminal) for shutter release. Unfortunately, it appears the two smaller tripods only come with the Multi Terminal cable, thus limiting their utility to the A58, NEX-3N, DSC-HX300, and some Handycam models (so far). The RM-VPR1 (smaller remote without a tripod) comes with both available cables, and the VCT-VPR100 (biggest tripod with remote) comes with four cables (Multi Terminal, Remote terminal, A/V R, and LANC) but if your camera has the old remote terminal, it will only be able to use the new remote for shutter release; ignoring all the rest of its special functions such as initiating video capture, toggling grid lines, or controlling zoom.

It is worth noting that the Micro USB Type B port might be present on more alpha models besides just the NEX-3N and A58, but it is just these two models so far that use this port for more than just mass storage or PC connection.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think I saw this on the Sony interview on camera diner. Not sure how useful it will be for most folks, video maybe stills I can't see it offering much over a normal tripod.
KevinBarrett

bfitzgerald wrote:Not sure how useful it will be for most folks, video maybe stills I can't see it offering much over a normal tripod.
For somebody with an older camera, it really can't offer anything over the remote commanders we already know. The new interface only benefits a handful of cameras so far, but for those it offers tremendous benefit with lots of remote control, and the Micro USB Type B connection can be extended with non-proprietary cords. The tripods are still just tripods, but the remotes bundled with the tripods are more comprehensive in their controls than the remote that's sold separately.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

I think the problem might be if the tripod is "decently good" because if it's a built in controller then you are kind of stuck with it. I can't say I've tried any of the Sony tripods so can't really comment much. Looking at the video it looks like a step down on the Velbon I got last year
KevinBarrett

bfitzgerald wrote:I think the problem might be if the tripod is "decently good" because if it's a built in controller then you are kind of stuck with it.
It isn't built-in, only bundled. The remote can come free of the tripod and either unit function independently.

I saw a VCT-VPR1 in a Sony Store the other day as it was being demonstrated for another customer. They didn't have the VPR10 or VPR100, so I was unable to ascertain whether those can be broken down into independent tripods and heads. For $600 and $700, they ought to.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

I assume you can fit this to other tripods not just the sony one. Anyway I think it's a bit of a niche thing myself I can't see too many folks going for that.
Unless one of the far eastern makers clones it at a much reduced cost