need a new laptop or tablet or something

All the funky stuff which turns your 550 gramme DSLR into a 5 kilo bag...
the_hefay
Viceroy

need a new laptop or tablet or something

Unread post by the_hefay »

I have a on older Dell Inspiron 17" laptop that weighs a ton. It's huge and is beginning to suffer from old age. I'd like to "put it down" but not until I have its replacement. I don't need a 17" screen. What I need is something when I travel store my photos and possibly do some cataloguing and or minor processing to them. Any ideas?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: need a new laptop or tablet or something

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Tablets wont really help you much for storing, cataloging or editing (if you shoot raw)
There are some windows tablets that are quite powerful but no storage friendly (you'll need and external HHDD)
My laptop is not that old, but I'm thinking on replacing it soon -what happen is that Windows 10 will be introduced in few months, I prefer to wait until new hardware is introduced with it.
How much is your budget?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the_hefay
Viceroy

As far as storing, cataloguing or editing goes, it's only while away from home. All photos would be transferred to my pc for permanent use, storage and backup. Any editing done on the notebook/tablet will be minimal. The notebook/tablet doesn't need a large amount of storage capability, just enough to get me through until I'm back home. I don't really want to carry an external hdd so perhaps that rules out the tablet option. As far as budget, I'd like to spend $500 or less. I don't have a problem with purchasing used from ebay. That's where my last 3 notebooks have been purchased and I've done pretty well by each of them. Currently I'm using Win7 at home but most of the notebooks seem to be Win8. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or not. I don't mind waiting for Win10 but I'm planning a trip in a few weeks and really didn't want to haul my overweight and dying Dell with me this time.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

When I went to Japan I knew I'd have a lot of images so I took my wifes cheap notebook.
An Acer Aspire V5-122 11.6" touchscreen but 500Gb harddrive and built in SD card reader.
Ok for storage and viewing but rather slow if I wanted to play with some images in the evenings.
I also took a 320GB portable USB hard drive which I had lying around.

Every evening I copied the days images to the notebook and then backed up to the USB drive. I kept the full cards aside as well but was well prepared with 8 x 32GB cards. 11000 images taken and safely shipped home :)
Kept the notebook in my case and the USB drive in my camera bag.

Worked fine if a little slowly.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
the_hefay
Viceroy

I'll have to look into that. I'll probably never use it at home for much of anything so I'm willing to sacrifice some on performance, but need the storage and small size for sure.
artHarris
Initiate

Unread post by artHarris »

I have always taken my MacBook with me and if I expect the need for extensive back-ups, also a small Hard Drive (the old one out of the MacBook when I upgraded it, in a new case). But with some tablets, one should be able to use such a Hard Drive for back-up with the correct cabling. It all depends upon having the appropriate apps.
Kit: all Sony now:
RX-100/3, A6000, A7R. Lenses:FE16-35, FE24-70, SonyF10-18,SonyF18-200, FE35/f2.8, F16/2.8, Minolta APO 100-300, Nikon 135 macro, Nikon 50/1.4, various extras.
the_hefay
Viceroy

I ended up purchasing an ASUS laptop. It's no power house, but it's smaller and lighter. Should be a lot nicer for traveling. It has 8Gb ram and 500GB of storage.