NEX purchase - a difficult decision

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: NEX purchase - a difficult decision

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Ed, Paul Genge confirms that right now, with the firmware as it is, there is no MF confirmation - I asked that question specifically during the Q&A session. His Japanese colleagues confirm that since there is no AF, there is also no MF confirmation; if they could confirm MF, they could equally well AF. Or so he claims.

Sony has potential problems if the Alpha system (mainstream not NEX) is to offer video. One is the lack of stabilisation. This could be tackled using pixel shifting on the sensor during filming.

Paul also said that NEX cameras with the adaptor would not support Sigma or Tamron lenses with IS. I do not believe he actually knows. I'm going to test in-lens OS with the adaptor when my order arrives. Why should it not work, if power is supplied through the standard connections?

David
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

Then perhaps I need to move slowly with the NEX and see how the 18-200 performs. One problem I've had is I'm not very good at judging focus on an LCD, even after donning reading spectacles which I'm not apt to do in the field anyway. Live View was sort of wasted on me and I've often thought the camera body could be a bit more compact without the hinging LCD contraption. I missed my A100 in that respect. Compromises...

I was not aware that Sigma and Tamron lenses had IS available in Alpha mounts and was immediately amused at the prospect of a vibration war between an Alpha CCD and the lens anti-shake, the camera just buzzing right out of your hands, and couldn't get past that spectacle to figure out how it might actually work. Is one or the other turned off when one of those lenses is mounted to an Alpha? Just curious. It will be interesting to see what you find when you yours arrives.

Also, I considered that if I did get a NEX it would be a 5, but the more I look at it, the more I realize that the only real differences I can find are the polycarbonate/metal bodies and the 720/1080 video resolutions. Since I rarely do videos (just occasional ones of my dogs) and that I'm not that bent on videos, that I might finish up by sticking the cheapest body on the most expensive lens (18-200). I wonder if they will sell the bodies only or offer the 18-200 as a kit.

Ed
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

edrice wrote: Also, I considered that if I did get a NEX it would be a 5, but the more I look at it, the more I realize that the only real differences I can find are the polycarbonate/metal bodies and the 720/1080 video resolutions. Since I rarely do videos (just occasional ones of my dogs) and that I'm not that bent on videos, that I might finish up by sticking the cheapest body on the most expensive lens (18-200). I wonder if they will sell the bodies only or offer the 18-200 as a kit.

Ed
Nex-5 also has infrared remote control port. Nex-3 doesn't.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Paul also said that NEX cameras with the adaptor would not support Sigma or Tamron lenses with IS. I do not believe he actually knows. I'm going to test in-lens OS with the adaptor when my order arrives. Why should it not work, if power is supplied through the standard connections?
It might not work if Sony does something special to ensure it doesn't work on non-Sony lenses. :) Probably they won't, but it is always a possibility.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The OS within the Sigma lens is completely independent of body control. It's all within the lens. So if there is power, it should function.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The OS within the Sigma lens is completely independent of body control. It's all within the lens. So if there is power, it should function.
Yes, I thought so. I was mostly just being facetious. Still, I bet Sony has some clever engineers who could figure out some way to make Tamron and particularly Sigma lenses have problems if the marketing big-wigs gave them the go-ahead. :)
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

David Kilpatrick wrote:...
So I think I am not going to buy the 18-55mm, just the 16mm and the adaptor.
You know, I read a comment that there was a "digital zoom". Now, before everyone groans, if you get just the 16mm, I'm curious to know if it's worth using a digital zoom, and how smart is it? (Does it up-size and give you a blurry, interpolated photo, or does it save it as a smaller file?)

I like your plan, except for the lack of stabilization. That is going to be disappointing, but adapted lenses probably wouldn't stabilize well anyway.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Digital zoom just crops the JPEG. Not of interest.

David
Allam2009
Initiate

Unread post by Allam2009 »

Had a play with both the 3 and 5 last week and I really like the 5. The 3 just didn't feel right as the body is too light and so the weight of a larger lens on the front would be really odd.

A few other comments that I would like to make are:

Adaptors screwed on the front of the 16mm will not register in exif data.
Battery life is supposed to be around 350 shots but as soon as you start to use the panoramic mode this gets eaten up very quickly.

Can't fault the rest, but then I am just an amateur so comments about things like IQ fly straight over my head.

Now all I really need is a small windfall to justify buying one! If I really had the cash I would replace my 700 with a 900 and get an NEX5 as a carry around anywhere camera (anyone want to give me a hand with the lottery numbers this week).
A700 - 18-200 - 70-300G - 28F2.8 - 30M2.8