Video - Summertime in Union Square, NYC

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Video - Summertime in Union Square, NYC

Unread post by pakodominguez »

shoot with #NEX5 and Minolta Rokkor lenses
Edited on Sony Vegas (but I couldn't export it in HD, probably because is a trial version?)

http://bit.ly/9vXpHK
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Video - Summertime in Union Square, NYC

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Pako - I like the initial video with the wide angle lens. An interesting view of the hazards of busking - I especially liked the little girl running up and attempting to play the cymbals, before she was removed :D . It didn't seem as "smooth" (I don't know the correct technical term) with the telephoto. The lighting seemed good for the evening/night-time - much better than I would expect with a consumer camera / video cam.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Birma wrote: It didn't seem as "smooth" (I don't know the correct technical term) with the telephoto. The lighting seemed good for the evening/night-time - much better than I would expect with a consumer camera / video cam.
Hi Birma,
I blame first myself (I have to spend time on some how-to videos online before I try another "editing") then, I blame the version of Vegas I installed... I think it is version 9, I'll try Version 10 and see if I can get something better.

I start shooting at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden last week, some nice footage. But the tripod I got didn't work the way I expected -I need a different support for NEX + teles without tripod-collar...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Pretty good overall - built-in mic not the accessory? If anyone tried to busk with a drum kit and two improvisational sax players in Scotland I suspect they would get a clip round the ear from a policeman and instructions to learn something proper and come back next year. I don't think the drum kit would be allowed (or at least, not that kind of drum kit - they seem very tolerant here towards djembe etc 'ethnic' drum groups regardless of the volume, but I've never seen anyone try a regular stage drumkit in the steet).

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:Pretty good overall - built-in mic not the accessory? If anyone tried to busk with a drum kit and two improvisational sax players in Scotland I suspect they would get a clip round the ear from a policeman and instructions to learn something proper and come back next year. I don't think the drum kit would be allowed (or at least, not that kind of drum kit - they seem very tolerant here towards djembe etc 'ethnic' drum groups regardless of the volume, but I've never seen anyone try a regular stage drumkit in the steet).

David
Hi David,

Built-in mic, yes (pretty good, eh? I have a video of the Million Dollar Quartet playing at Union Square last month I have to upload also, nice sound...)
regarding the drums: I think NYPD knows that they have better to do than bother 3 guys playing at the park... in other hand, summertime eves are usually great in NYC and no one wants to kill that mood.

The Union Square is a pretty commercial area, north of the NYU district, so lot of people all day long, mostly young people. I don't think there are people "living" by the park -a half block away you don't get to know what's happening at the Square.

In the Subway you will never see a drum set, probably a Djembe or a "plastic bucket" set (I'll try to upload another band I shoot the very same evening, but lighting and sound is not this nice...) some 12V Amps for guitars and Basses...

of course, don't even try to put a tripod on the street without a permit!
Pako
------------
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I see you've got an MD 24/2.8! After some reading I found this seems to be one of Minoltas (worlds?) best 24mm lenses ever, if we believe some forums. Won one on ebay yesterday :D (though the seller didn't react to my contact efforts after the sale :? ). It makes 36mm on the NEX, that should be a good length! Anyway, it'l ltake probably another 1 or 2 weeks before my adaptor arrives from HK and I can try any lens.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bossel wrote:I see you've got an MD 24/2.8! After some reading I found this seems to be one of Minoltas (worlds?) best 24mm lenses ever, if we believe some forums. Won one on ebay yesterday :D (though the seller didn't react to my contact efforts after the sale :? ). It makes 36mm on the NEX, that should be a good length!
Salut Bossel,

I'm using the Minolta 24mm f2.8 as a main lens -one of the latest versions with the 49mm filter size. Supposedly, the one with 55mm filter size are the great one -not just the 24mm, but all the Rokkor with 55mm filter size are the "professional grade" lenses... But Olaf or DK will be able to help you better on this kind of information.

Quality is great, really sharp, good geometry, little CA... the pic on the blog was taken with that same lens.

I'm using too a Minolta 58mm f1.4 -not because the f1.4 cuz i never take pictures at 1.4 unless I'm looking for a "dreamy effect", but because the focal distance, perfect for portraits. The problem with this (old) lens is that is prone to flare. Otherwise I have use the 50mm f3.5 Macro for macro stuff and everything else because event wide open is sharper than the 58mm at f3.5...

I was using a Minolta Rokkor 135mm f2.8 until I saw the 105 f2.5, that is more compact and light (and some people said it is way better than the 135mmm) and it's focal distance works better for me. I'm planning to use a 200mm f4 and a 300mm f4.5 for video, but I need a support for it: i bought a Optera PRO 460 (http://www.adorama.com/TPTTO460.html) but it doesn't work the way I want, So I just ordered a Manfrotto Tele Lens Support (http://www.adorama.com/BG3420.html) that I think will work better.

Now, the "problem" is the new SAM 85mm f2.8, that I'm really tempted to buy: I'll have the perfect (for me) focal distance for portraits, it will AF with FW V3... I don't know yet what will be my standard NEX kit!
Pako
------------
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 55mm MC/MD thread version is the Minolta which is also the original Leica Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 (same lens, exactly). The best version of this is the VFC MC 24mm f/2.8 with Variable Field Curvature, it has a custom designed mount to float the elements involved and is very accurate assembled.

The later 24mm f/2.8 49mm thread has slightly more distortion, but the greatest difference is vignetting wide open. It has much more fall-off to the edges of the frame, and slightly softer corners at f/2.8.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

pakodominguez wrote:... But Olaf or DK will be able to help you better on this kind of information.
Hehe, I was reading through tons of Olaf's old posts on mi-fo, it seemed he owned, tested and compared zillions of the MC/MD lenses.
Concerning 85mm/100mm my conclusions are that the MD 85/2 must be incredibly sharp at the cost of a bit worse bookeh, and it's really really light and tiny (around same size as 24/2.8). The 100/2.5 is said to have a better bookeh. At 200m, there is the latest 200/4 at only 410 grams and 11.5cm long - but I won't buy any of the long stuff until I see how I get along with MF!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bossel wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:... But Olaf or DK will be able to help you better on this kind of information.
Hehe, I was reading through tons of Olaf's old posts on mi-fo, it seemed he owned, tested and compared zillions of the MC/MD lenses.
You can check on the archives of the Manual Minolta Free group at yahoo.com : http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ManualMinoltaFree/ there are very knowledgeable people in there. The Minolta Group is good too http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minolta/
bossel wrote:Concerning 85mm/100mm my conclusions are that the MD 85/2 must be incredibly sharp at the cost of a bit worse bokeh, and it's really really light and tiny (around same size as 24/2.8). The 100/2.5 is said to have a better bokeh. At 200m, there is the latest 200/4 at only 410 grams and 11.5cm long - but I won't buy any of the long stuff until I see how I get along with MF!
I was talking about the Sony SAM 85f2.8...
Pako
------------