Sony Ultra wide conversion lens VCL-ECU1 - Any users?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Sony Ultra wide conversion lens VCL-ECU1 - Any users?

Unread post by alphaomega »

My new 16mm pancake is away to Sony to get sorted. Noticed on DPReview that lots of people are complaining expecially about the RH side. Totally unsharp. Some (a few seem to have got good copies) are quite happy. Anyway I still ordered the U W Conversion lens and fitted it to my 18-55 E zoom. Interesting result. A circular image surrounded by darkness. Clearly this converter is for the 16mm pancake only. So I will report on what Sony UK have been able to do with my lens when I get it back. If I get a good result other users with sub standard copies might do the same as me and send it in for adjustment. I must say that I was totally and utterly disappointed that Sony saw fit to send out such an inferior product to so many users. The fact that it is made in Thailand should make no difference. I wonder what kind of QC they employ in that factory. The lens can perform if you are lucky and get a god copy. Maybe they just made too many "pre production" copies.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote:My new 16mm pancake is away to Sony to get sorted. Noticed on DPReview that lots of people are complaining expecially about the RH side. Totally unsharp. Some (a few seem to have got good copies) are quite happy.
The SEL 16f2.8 softness became an Urban Myth because DPR preview said so. Even if it can be a sampling issue, I have no problem with mine, probably because I never use it wide open (but I never use any lens wide open...)

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

The SEL 16f2.8 softness became an Urban Myth because DPR preview said so. Even if it can be a sampling issue, I have no problem with mine, probably because I never use it wide open (but I never use any lens wide open...)
pakodominguez, you are the lucky guy. I saw references to exactly the same problems as I experienced, and the RH unsharpness appears to be endemic. There is definitely a problem and it extends right through the aperture settings, not just F2.8. I await the return of my lens from Sony. Hopefully they will be able to sort the problem.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote:
pakodominguez, you are the lucky guy.
I know!
8)
alphaomega wrote: I saw references to exactly the same problems as I experienced, and the RH unsharpness appears to be endemic. There is definitely a problem and it extends right through the aperture settings, not just F2.8. I await the return of my lens from Sony. Hopefully they will be able to sort the problem.
As I told you, there are definitely a sampling problem (that many people can not be wrong) but the statement "the SEL16f2.8 is soft" ain't true. I think many users don't know how to deal with wide angles and before they improve their skills, it is easier to blame the lens -this is most of the cases I read on DPR NEX forum, from people that didn't even read the manual before start using their cameras.

I hope you'll get a healthy lens this time

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

I think many users don't know how to deal with wide angles and before they improve their skills, it is easier to blame the lens -this is most of the cases I read on DPR NEX forum, from people that didn't even read the manual before start using their cameras.
Pako, I am sure you are right. I also wonder about what some of them actually write about on DPReview and they get an icy response from some of the more seasoned bloggers. Your comments do not apply to me though as I photographed with W/A lenses before you were born. Lucky you again.
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

I think dpreview's test of the 16mm lines up with my experiences. Very sharp in the center at f2.8, but not so at the edges. Corners are okay from f5, and the very, very extreme corners never get really sharp. If I need sharp extreme corners, I shoot at f8 and sometimes crop just a little out. All in all, a very usable lens.

Oddly enough, there is a lengthy user review of the wide angle converter on amazon.com, and the user says the converter actually improves the 16mm???
alphaomega
Viceroy

DouglasF13 stated above
I think dpreview's test of the 16mm lines up with my experiences. Very sharp in the center at f2.8, but not so at the edges. Corners are okay from f5, and the very, very extreme corners never get really sharp. If I need sharp extreme corners, I shoot at f8 and sometimes crop just a little out. All in all, a very usable lens.

Oddly enough, there is a lengthy user review of the wide angle converter on amazon.com, and the user says the converter actually improves the 16mm???
As I intimated above 12 January my 16mm pancake is away to Sony to get fixed. Just got notice that it is now on its way back repaired. So Sony must have realised that there was a problem with particularly the RH side.

I do hope that the performance has been much improved. Interesting about the WA converter. I have bought one and will get it on the 16mm when to hand and report. I think that David Kilpatrick also wrote somewhere about such converters widening the angle of view that actually they also made the prime lens faster when mounted. Must read the Amazon user review.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Front lens converters don't increase the effective aperture, that only happens with a certain type of rear minus-value converter - none so far have been made for still cameras.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Front lens converters don't increase the effective aperture, that only happens with a certain type of rear minus-value converter - none so far have been made for still cameras.
David
Sorry, I forgot that David did state this "improvement" in F stop related to " rear-minus-value" converters only.
In any event I have now got back my 16mm pancake lens repaired. Sony replaced a part entiled "Block,servie - Defect Code A1-Misoperating". I must confess I am none the wiser, but the lens does perform better. Tried in dull weather, but looking for sunshine for a better test. Still not very good at F2.8, but that appears to be common to the beast. Tried on my VCL-ECU1 and it would appear that at 100% there is no reduction in IQ compared with shots W/O the converter. So Sony in Thailand have QC cleared a lens with a defective part. I have seen identical descriptions of my original problem on DPReview so the problem is not restricted to me. My guess is that it is known within Sony as they can turn round a lens in five days. Happy times.