hiccup!!!Disappointed with LA-EA1!hiccup!!!

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: hiccup!!!Disappointed with LA-EA1!hiccup!!!

Unread post by pakodominguez »

robin_castree wrote:I know that no-one promised me, but I just presumed that, as in the old days of Minolta, stuff would remain compatible.
But after buying the adapter and applying the firmware upgrade my lovely Minolta/Sony Primes don't autofocus - if anyone is in any doubt it's:

35mm f1.4 G
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.4 G
also the old Minolta 75-300 kit zoom.

ah well, the autoexposure works so I should be grateful but it seems that I'm too oldschool. I just hope that things with the new SLTs are not the same.
robinc
Hi,
Didn't you read the manual?
Only SAM and SSM lenses will autofocus, Primes or Zooms.

In other hand, if you are "old school" what's the problem with manual focusing?
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

robin_castree wrote:I spent a lot of money on these lenses and tied myself into a system. I don't think its unreasonable to expect some consideration in return. and no I didn't read the rtfm - I don't have any Sam missiles or any SonofSamMissiles :roll:

And I also hoped that I was helping other people by spelling out in no uncertain terms about what does and doesn't!

robinc
I don't get it: how do you know the terms on the manual are "uncertain" if you haven't read it yet?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

robin_castree wrote:I've no doubt that you consider that very witty.
I'm sorry I'm spoiling your "rant moment".
Pako
------------
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I know that no-one promised me, but I just presumed that, as in the old days of Minolta, stuff would remain compatible.
But after buying the adapter and applying the firmware upgrade my lovely Minolta/Sony Primes don't autofocus - if anyone is in any doubt it's:

35mm f1.4 G
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.4 G

ah well, the autoexposure works so I should be grateful but it seems that I'm too oldschool. I just hope that things with the new SLTs are not the same.
robinc
RobinC, I have the Sony downloading instructions here in front of me and you must have read these to upload the firmware for your NEX.
If you use Alpha lenses in combination with your camera using the LA-EA1 mount adaptor please update the LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor....
and then the instructions go on to list all the SAM and SSM lenses supported. It is quite clear and it is difficult to understand how you could think that your old minolta lenses (without inbuilt motors) could AF with the NEX. The SLT models have inbuilt motors so your lenses will AF with these.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

robin_castree wrote:35mm f1.4 G
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.4 G
Well, since they are of no use to you anymore, if you wanted so sell any or all of those a deeply discounted prices, I'm sure someone here at PCA would be glad to take them off of your hands....
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

robin_castree wrote:yes I can see that taking advantage of someone's misfortune would be a trait of people on this site.
I still don't understand, did you bought those lenses because you want them to work with the NEX and LE-AE1? or you bought the NEX + adapter because you already had the lenses?

In any case, I think that you have to take responsibility on what you did; you bought into a system expecting it will work without reading the literature wrote about it -or a couple of post on this forum.

You are not stupid, as you stated on a previous post, but why do you expect empathy? I think you have a wonderful system that, alas, doesn't AF -the only thing I can say is: try manual focus, it is not that hard, even if Minolta lenses are not manual-focus-friendly (the focus ring on the older Maxxum lenses is far from ergonomic...)

Regards
Pako
------------
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

robin_castree wrote:yes I can see that taking advantage of someone's misfortune would be a trait of people on this site.
And nobody is EVER sarcastic on the internet either... :roll:
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

robin_castree wrote:ah well, the autoexposure works so I should be grateful but it seems that I'm too oldschool. I just hope that things with the new SLTs are not the same.
robinc
With the adaptor, you can also control the aperture of your old lenses from the camera. If you buy a cheap $40 adaptor from China, you can't. Though I understand your deception, having expected AF to work...

The SLT does AF with older, screw drive lenses. But most of us think future Sony cameras might not, so we'll have to carefully study the specifications (me as well, I have no SAM/SSM lenses either).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Robin has asked to be deleted from this forum.

David
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

^^ You might as well kill this thread then.

I didn't understand the OP original complaint. If the NEX and adapter didn't work to her satisfaction, why not just return it and buy one of Sony's offerings that would support those lenses (all of which are awesome and by my rough calculations worth about $2,500US).

This was a typical case of the consumer not doing their homework and then blaming the company for things not working like the company clearly stated like they wouldn't in the first place. Excuse us for having the common sense to educate ourselves before we made a purchase. If there was any doubt at all, she should have tested the setup before purchase. I know my local camera shop let me bring in and fit up all my A mount lenses to a nex5 (the owners personal one) and adapter in the store before I made my purchase (that's good customer service). As the old saying goes, buyer beware. :roll:

It all reminds me of this old joke...
A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost.He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below. He descended a little more and shouted, '"Can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am.

The woman below replied "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist." I am," replied the woman, "How did you know?"

Well answered the balloonist, "Everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."

The woman below responded,"You must be a politician."

"I am" replied the balloonist. "But how did you know?.

"Well" said the woman, "You don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, its all my fault."
edit: if you google those coordinates, it's in the middle of the north Atlantic, about 400 miles off the east coast of Nova Scotia. No wonder the guy is lost...

L
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Aww thats too bad. But even in the "old days" Minolta broke compatability and left people stranded so maybe that's really what should be expected? (Barry ?)
David Kilpatrick wrote:Robin has asked to be deleted from this forum.

David