What Lens Type should i get?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
boddz

What Lens Type should i get?

Unread post by boddz »

Hi All,

iv been looking at the options of getting new lenses for my Sony Nex C3. i have seen there are more options if i use Adapters. but would like your option on what lens fitting type should i go with Eg. Canon, Sony, Nikon etc. what will not cost me the earth and give me a good range of lenses.

i will not be looking for top class lenses as i am still a mid class photographer.

look forward to your replys

Cheers
Boddz

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: What Lens Type should i get?

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Boddz, welcome to the forum. If you want to try out some old manual focus lenses on your Nex then you are spoilt for choice. I think you you just have to see what takes your fancy. I chose to look at Minolta's manual focus lenses for my Nex 5. The Minolta MD 50mm 1.4 I have is my favourite lens on the Nex, especially for portraits / people shots.

If you look back through the Nex section of the forum you will see several threads taking about old manual lenses.

The Nex has some nice native lenses now as well. More good choices :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

How about M42 lenses with an adapter for E-Mount :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
boddz

Unread post by boddz »

Hi both, thank you for your replys. I am planning ordering the m42 adaptor in the next few days as it's cheap and I collect old cameras so I have a few to play with.

I was really planning my next move with lens. As I will be playing around with manual ones just thought I might get a new lens (well save up) but when looking around you seem to get more choice with say canon lenses or other makes that fit. Just seeing if it would be worth getting an adaptor or just stick with the nex ones?

Cheers
Boddz
http://retrocamerauk.wordpress.com
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

If you want manual focus, your best bang-for-the-buck is going to be an old manual-focus lens. If you might want occasional auto-focus, I'd go with e-mount first. Otherwise, there are only a couple of adapters which allow AF with certain lens types, and those adapters will be a bit more expensive.

But if you already have some MF lenses, just get a cheap adapter and try it.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Get a Canon FD (old manual) or Minolta (MD manual) lens adaptor. Both these have good ranges of old lenses which perform well, and both these adaptor types also accept a Pentax screw M42 adaptor in addition. Sony/Minolta AF also allows you to use M42 via a small adaptor, and for this, you can get chipped adaptors which at least record the focal length of the lens in the picture's EXIF data.

David