That Fuji X100 got me thinking

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: That Fuji X100 got me thinking

Unread post by alphaomega »

You are welcome to purchase this Fuji camera with just an equivalent of a 35mm FF lens. No thanks. Could not think of a single use for it. Mostly I use wider or narrower settings that 35mm and all that money for such a limited use object. You are welcome to fork out but count me out. NEX is developing but searched in vain for even a limited hint of an optional EVF.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I reckon it would take the market by storm if it had an extra few lenses, nothing too long say a max of 50mm or even 70mm so as too make it still possible to sync the ovf with the lens, but most likely that would raise the price by a big margin. That and three lenses on a trip somewhere sounds a lot more compact and less weight than a DSLR kit and probably nearly as functional for general photography, but as it's a 23mm fixed lens cam I think I'll pass, desirable as it is. That's the kind on design thinking the rest should be concentrating on for photographers...they might even do that too if it sells.
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like the fixed lens concept. I could do quite a lot with a fast 35mm lens.
This isn't going to make you dump your DSLR and lens collection, but it could be pretty neat for some types of shooting.
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

For sure a cool camera if you have the disposable income to justify owning it. I would love to have one but unless my economic circumstances change - zero chance.

A NEX with the new UI though is a possibility for me.
ctyankee
Acolyte

Unread post by ctyankee »

Hi Agorabasta,

I wanted to reply to your question about the modified ILS setup. First, I have no idea if such a thing is feasible :) But when Mike Johnston wrote his now-famous article describing his ideal "DMD" (decisive moment digital) he proposed a 24/2 (for APS-C ... classic 35mm FOV) with dedicated .7X and 2X converters for a 25/35/70 triplet.

I don't know why the idea of something like that has a strange appeal ... the concept of a system with a small number of presumably high quality lens options that make sense together. Like the limited lenses available for the Mamiya 7. It's probably silly; certainly less flexible than a system that offers you zooms & primes in entry level & pro flavors, fast, slow, big, small. But it gives you the idea that the designers envisioned this synergistic system, that they foresaw the whole thing up front, that you can buy any of the lenses and know what to expect.

Anyway, I found the idea interesting :)

- Dennis
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Now that Fuji has explicitly declared that no rangefinder-type focussing system is employed in X100, I think it's about time to 'predict' that they will have quite a set of converters to modify their fixed lens capabilities.

P.S. I have absolutely no insider info on the matters discussed here. So it's not a rumour, just a fair speculation.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The X100 does have an optical finder though, hybrid with digital overlay. I don't know how that would work with converters.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

David, one could imagine many ways to arrange that hybrid VF to work with a limited number of adapters. Good implementations are not cheap, though.

The thing that is not quite clear to me is how could they avoid the effect of rangefinder base that is physically present there anyway, given that it's a 'hybrid' VF...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The X100 does have an optical finder though, hybrid with digital overlay. I don't know how that would work with converters.
Is that sort of like what Minolta had in my 707si, 7xi, and 9xi?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote:David, one could imagine many ways to arrange that hybrid VF to work with a limited number of adapters. Good implementations are not cheap, though.
Well, this beautiful camera is everything BUT cheap... Even if I like it very much, and it proves to have an excellent quality, and I by any chances have a spare $1000+, I won't buy it :-/
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:... I won't buy it :-/
Neither would I, if it's stuck at that stupid sole fixed FL.

Had it been 16mm, or better yet 14mm with higher Mp for cropping - that would be another story...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I still think 35mm is a fine focal length for the type of shooter who would use this. Sure you could do high mp and crop but why spoil the fun? Def a candid shooters product but also could be useful for landscapes, though a bit wider would be nice I've had some nice shots at this focal length too

I wouldn't pay the RRP either but prices come down over time. It's still a very interesting offering and we really needed something a bit different in a market full of me too products. If it lives up to most of the potential it could be a surprise hit
rush2112
Initiate

Unread post by rush2112 »

This camera is already a hit. In the world of instant gratification, its a camera that reminds us that a classic proven design has much appeal and practical use. There is a reason rangefinder styling has been so popular for so long, throw in some modern guts and now you have a near perfect blend of current and older proven technology- at least in theory.

Analog controls, digital advantage, wonderful. Reminds me of one really nice DSLR in a way, the Maxxum 7D.

C
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Rush2112, how can the Fuju X100 already be a hit? It is not even for sale yet. What good is a camera with a fixed 35mm lens (35mm camera equivalent)? It may have "appeal" but what practical use is it of with that lens restriction?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote:Rush2112, how can the Fuju X100 already be a hit?
Some reading:
http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/01/ ... -a-camera/
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;