Nex7 noise performance is simply fabulous

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Nex7 noise performance is simply fabulous

Unread post by artington »

Fascinating. Thank you both. So for someone like me, whose primary concern is one shot picture quality (ie no continuous shooting) and not bothered about AF, the NEX-7 would appear to be a better choice than the a77 (assuming lens quality equivalence).

But what about the NEX-5N + ported EVF vs NEX-7 for such a user?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you are happy with the smaller file size, the 5N is cleaner than the NEX-7.

It's better at 1600, but not as good at 3200 as the 7 is at 1600. Sadly, the 55-210mm zoom I used with the NEX-5N was not very sharp at 55mm so any results I have are not fair comparisons.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

David, the 7 is MUCH cleaner than the 5N.

The problem is - they don't sell the thing.

So for now... ,
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Thanks again both of you. It sounds like a close call so I shall wait until I can try them both out together to see which proves the more ergonomic for me. May be a bit of a wait...

(As for file size, the nex-5n at 3:2 raw would give sufficient resolution for a 69x46cm print at 180dpi, which is, I have been told by an Epson instructor, one of the two optimum resolutions for prosumer Epson printers such as my R3000 or the 3880 (the other being 360dpi but impossible to tell the difference except on really big prints). Thus, it would permit a bigger print than either of these can manage. So I would be happy enough with 16 Mp but the N7 may have ergonomic advantages - we shall see)
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

The nex7 shot has so much more detail, David is this due to the lens ? Or is It due to how Sony are using the sensor in the A77? I wonder how the nex7 goes with the slt based adaptor ?

David does the a77 shot show the sort of detail you would expect for that shot and that class of camera ?
I.e is the a77 performing has expected and the nex7 better then expected? or the other way around?
If the same photo was taken with say a 7D. Where would the 7D lie, closer to the a77 or nex7 ?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No, it's due to the poor performance of the 16-50mm f/2.8 - it's not as good a lens as the SEL 18-55mm, that's all. Many of my shots with the 16-50mm samples were worse than this by a long way. I thought it might be down to prototype issues but I hear some buyers have got very poor lenses.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

After PopPohoto test, NEX7 noise control y much better...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=39834089
Attachments
NEX7-A77.jpg
(224.68 KiB) Downloaded 2209 times
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

This means I should not cancel my pre-order and wait :-). Nice feedback ! thanks.

Until this camera can be my best friend in the range of ISO1600-3200 and some ISO4000 for low concert shooting I will be more than happy.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
agorabasta
Viceroy

So the 'Dark Age of Ugly System Camera' is upon us already, or so it should seem if we all have to use Nex+adapter just to get some decent image quality with Sony...

Take a look at some 5N below, the 7 won't be too different - just a bit more unbalanced...
Attachments
NexEA2.jpg
(242.71 KiB) Downloaded 2172 times
NexEA2-4.jpg
(235.3 KiB) Downloaded 2172 times
agorabasta
Viceroy

Seriously, though, those more serious Nexes simply cry for some 'battery compartment with grip extender' if not a full VG.

The batteries could be arranged like that, would fit - I checked -
Attachments
NexEA2-2.jpg
(208.24 KiB) Downloaded 2172 times
NexEA2-3.jpg
(211.12 KiB) Downloaded 2172 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Agorabasta - is that the new Sony LA-EA2 on the 5N? The permanent tripod mounting point looks better than the separate one on the LA-EA1. My LA-EA1 has a small amount of movement when mounted on a tripod, which is not ideal for tripod work :) .

I like the idea of being able to combine the components like this in a system camera, but the result is not going to win any beauty awards ;) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Hi, Birma. Sure it's the EA2, it even says so on the sticker below - see the second adapter pic :wink:

BTW, I'm getting 0.4-0.3EV light loss at the mirror, depending on the diameter of the lens rear element. Some f/1.4 lens get 0.4EV hit, a typical superzoom gets slightly below 0.3EV, the SAL 18250 at 250mm gets exactly 0.27EV loss. That's all from direct measurements using the AEL on 5N, then matching the exposures in Lr.
And there's no ghosting, just like with a77...
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

agorabasta wrote:Hi, Birma. Sure it's the EA2, it even says so on the sticker below - see the second adapter pic :wink:
Thanks Agorabasta! I was looking at the tripod mount so much that I missed the writing next to it :roll: . I haven't seen any rumours yet as to when the firmware on the older Nex cameras may be updated for the LA-EA2, have I missed anything?
agorabasta
Viceroy

Quoth the sticker on the box:
Attachments
NexEA2-5.jpg
(211.63 KiB) Downloaded 2148 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Agorabasta. The Sony UK site is listing all Sony Nex cameras as compatible, it also mentions a firmware being required, but no hint to dates yet. At £270 I am almost tempted.