I am trying out the A6300

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: I am trying out the A6300

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Just some more information on the metering
As per previous comments about the multi segment being a bit "hot", some examples of exposure here

As metered
DSC04577.JPG
DSC04577.JPG (127.2 KiB) Viewed 33831 times
-0.7EV
DSC04578.JPG
DSC04578.JPG (120.85 KiB) Viewed 33831 times
I think the ideal exposure is probably about half a stop less v -0.7 (there is like other bodies an option to set half or third stop exp comp)
This is fairly typical but it does vary depending on the subject

Here is another case of clipping highlights
DSC04604.JPG
DSC04604.JPG (92.4 KiB) Viewed 33831 times
Sony never from what I saw provided any indication of the zone layout of the metering mode (not for multi segment metering). It doesn't seem AF point linked, it is aware of faces etc if you have the setting on. For Raw shooters it's probably not an issue, jpeg ones might find it too hot and often too much clipping.
bfitzgerald

One of the reasons I picked this up was to do reviews, this one just came in from TTArtisan, the 7.5mm fisheye F2.0 lens. Also has a screw in filter ND1000 at the back of the lens.
Initial impressions surprisingly good even at F2 (subject to DOF being enough)
DSCF6939.JPG
DSCF6939.JPG (191.09 KiB) Viewed 33358 times
As for the A6300, my thoughts are the same as before. If you want a budget crop body camera and you do a lot of video, I would recommend it. Video quality is excellent (bar the panning), for a stills system I see no particular reason to invest in E mount - not when there are so many options for full frame. However lower cost lenses like this are better than they have any right to be (used the 50mm F1.2 also quite good though CA is a problem), so it has potential on that side if you don't mind using third party/budget/manual focus stuff some of it can be quite good

It's become a necessary item to have purely because I do the reviews, and whist I've done A mount reviews and there is still interest in the Minolta stuff (more than you think), clearly the MILC systems are the ones that get the new stuff v the older SLR mounts. I could of course use a different maker, wouldn't really make a lot of difference - it's just the A6300 was pretty good on price, and there is at least some compatibility with A Mount, even though I am disappointed in Sony's lack of support with the LAEA5, and the limited nature of the LAEA4 - though it's usable in many cases. So the A6300 will likely stick around for the time being. I don't particularly want to invest in another APS-C body, so later on it might be possible I will try a FF MILC - which one I can't say as I have no idea!

I continue to use the A99 as the main system camera
bfitzgerald

My final update is that I have now sold the A6300
It was worth trying I think, as I have said before you can't go wrong if you want an adaptable APS-C video camera.
For me, my primary use it stills, and I can't get along with the odd and uncomfortable body design. It's as if, it was made for use in a gimbal or on a tripod, with no consideration on the body shape or feel in the hand. This is the single most damning mark against the camera.
It's perfectly capable, the sensor is a proven one - yet the end user experience for me is, I don't enjoy or want to use the camera.

It's convinced me, I don't want to be involved in any way with Sony's MILC system (and having tried a few FF bodies same feeling I don't like them at all). It's a shame, but ergonomics matter - and anything you don't want to use, is a non starter. Had Sony wrapped this up in a Dynax 5D type body, with a good grip shape, better more spaced out controls. I would certainly have kept it.
This would not be a system I would buy into, it's a hard NEXt from me :mrgreen: