Sony HEIF: Why no Adobe RGB?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony HEIF: Why no Adobe RGB?

Unread post by bakubo »

Is anyone still on this forum?

Last month I bought a Sony A6700. I still have mostly m4/3 gear and still mostly prefer it, but I was sort of bored and felt like trying something else.

Anyway, I have been playing around with HEIF photos. Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. these days produce 3 types of photo files: raw, 8-bit JPEG, and 10-bit HEIF.

With the A6700 the HEIF choices are: 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

And you can select among 4 compression levels (same as for JPEG): Extra Fine, Fine, Standard, Light.

With Sony HEIF you can use sRGB or HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) that uses BT.2020 color, but not Adobe RGB (choice is grayed out). With JPEG you can use sRGB or Adobe RGB.

I wonder why Sony HEIF does not allow Adobe RGB?

I have been playing around with HEIF 4:2:2, Fine, sRGB. Lightroom Classic supports it.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Re: Sony HEIF: Why no Adobe RGB?

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I'm here. Check it every day. Most of my older photo software doesn't use Heif. My iPad uses Heif so I changed it to Jpg. All my older photo software products don't recognize Heif files. Canon originally used Heif files. I'll stick with Jpeg. I have a A6500. The A6500 doesn't work with Nissin MF18 macro flash and the 50 battery drains faster. The Sony A6600 works with the MF18 flash. I don't know about the A6700. It's not listed at Nissin. The a6700 has the larger 500 batteries. I have 6 smaller Sony 50 batteries none have gone bad. I had several Watson 50s that all went bad after barely 2 years. I also have Sony 500 batteries, one has started to go bad, it only charges to 94% I'd get the a6700 over the a6600, if I knew it would work with the MF18 flash. The a6700 has a better sensor and software upgrades. I worry about knock-off batteries. I have a Watson 400 in my KM 7D.
The battery is just hanging and draining too fast. The older the cameras get, the harder to find the OEM batteries. IMO
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have been finding several things about the A6700 that not a single written or video review bothered to mention. No surprise. Every time I buy a camera it is the same. :)

I have searched and still not found an answer to my question so today I asked ChatGPT. It gave this answer which is just speculation on the reason(s), but good stuff:

The discrepancy in color space options between JPEG and HEIF formats in Sony cameras could stem from several factors:

1. Technical Limitations or Design Choices: It's possible that the implementation of HEIF support in Sony cameras is more limited compared to JPEG. Developing support for multiple color spaces in HEIF format might present additional technical challenges or require more resources, leading Sony to prioritize other aspects of HEIF implementation.

2. Workflow Considerations: Sony might have made the decision based on typical user workflows and preferences. While Adobe RGB is commonly used in professional photography and printing, the majority of consumers may not require it for everyday photography. By offering Adobe RGB only for JPEG, Sony might be catering to the needs of photographers who specifically request this option for certain types of work.

3. Market Demand and User Feedback: Sony may have gathered data indicating that the demand for Adobe RGB in HEIF format is relatively low among their target customer base. If the majority of users are satisfied with sRGB for HEIF images, Sony may choose not to allocate resources to implement Adobe RGB support in HEIF format.

4. File Size and Compression Efficiency: HEIF is designed to offer better compression efficiency compared to JPEG while maintaining high image quality. Using Adobe RGB in HEIF format could result in larger file sizes due to the wider color gamut, potentially undermining the benefits of HEIF's compression efficiency.

5. Compatibility and Standards: While Adobe RGB is widely used in certain professional workflows, sRGB remains the standard color space for most consumer electronics and online platforms. By defaulting to sRGB in HEIF format, Sony ensures broad compatibility with displays, printers, and online services.

Overall, the decision to offer Adobe RGB for JPEG but only sRGB for HEIF in Sony cameras likely reflects a combination of technical considerations, user preferences, market demand, and compatibility requirements.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I don't own high-end screens. My two Samsung 24" screens don't show any difference between JPG and Heif files.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.