David ? -> rolling shutter of the NEX5 vs the Nikon/Canon ?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

David ? -> rolling shutter of the NEX5 vs the Nikon/Canon ?

Unread post by InTheSky »

David,

I know you have tried both the Nikon and the Canon until now for doing video. Your conclusion in the past was that the Nikon has a better movie quality over the Canon (even if it was at 720p). So, what about the rolling shutter effect ? is the Sony is at least equal to a new Camcorder ? or it is not that good ?

I have completely forgot this issue since I saw a comparison on the rumour site of alpha.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: David ? -> rolling shutter of the NEX5 vs the Nikon/Cano

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Dunno. I was taught video/film technique by professionals, and I do not pan so fast that a rolling shutter effect would happen. With Nikon, the video consists of JPEG frames, there is no interlacing problem, and a rolling shutter effect can be easily avoided by selecting a fast shutter speed. Same for Canon.

The NEX does not allow fast shutter speeds to be selected, but I think from what I have seen of my own few clips (wish I had taken many more) it tends to select them by default, instead of the 1/20th-1/50th preferred by traditional video folk.

Sony also offers 1440 x 1080p in MPEG4 form but I didn't test that at all. The jello effect on other cameras is often just a deliberate attempt to induce the fault. For normal, comfortable-to-watch video clips it doesn't happen.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

The 1440 x 1080p sounds interesting. I`m starting to think of probably pre-order one, once it will be available on sony.ca with and alpha mount adapter.

Thanks for your comments,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Browsing Nex comments (elsewhere), I ran into a site that did a comparison. It does have a rolling shutter effect, but it was much more controlled than the other camera that they compared it against. It was some pretty fast panning. I hope it's one of those things that you're probably not going to be able to see in normal use.