It's on the shelves!

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

It's on the shelves!

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I found it in the local stores and picked up a Nex-5 with the 18-55. It's pretty much what we've all been expecting. Unusual UI, but I found it easy to use so far. :mrgreen:

I think the kit lens is a bit limiting, as I took photos in low light. Good think ISO 1600 looks decent. It's probably at least a stop better than my A100, so in a way, that makes up for the lens to a large extent. Although, I can't help but feel that "Auto NR" is intruding a bit. I'll have fun experimenting with the various settings to see what they do.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: It's on the shelves!

I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Just post some photos!" :lol: Well, by the time I got around to using the camera, the light was low enough to make it less than ideal. Although, it's good to know how it handles in less-than-ideal situations, when someone posts less-than-ideal photos, it just causes conflict, so I may wait until I can try again. Unless you want to see a photo of my cat, but then some people complain about cat photos too.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to use ISO 1600 all the time, but if you need it, it's nice that it's there. It's quite usable, but it is not noise free, of course. Will be nice to try it in RAW....
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Could you please check if flash functions properly in 'fill' and 'slow' modes? On my copy the flash fires obviously out of sync resulting in dark pictures.
My came with FW1.03, it's stated only in the EXIF info, the cam menu states ver 01.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

agorabasta wrote:Could you please check if flash functions properly in 'fill' and 'slow' modes? On my copy the flash fires obviously out of sync resulting in dark pictures.
My came with FW1.03, it's stated only in the EXIF info, the cam menu states ver 01.
hi agorabasta,

there are many on getdpi forum with Nex

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17553

try posting it there too to better resolve this issue?
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

I took seven photos using flash, utilizing the different flash modes. All came out with visible flash. I tried a couple of different focal lengths as well.

My FW is 1.04 (according to the EXIF).
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

To all of you NEX haters out there :wink: I have some fuel to add to the fire. Here are some things I don't like about the NEX.

When I choose Hand-held Twilight mode, I can't adjust the aperture. Why not? If I want to, I guess I need to be in aperture priority mode.

The shutter is crazy-loud. Maybe they wanted it to sound like a DSLR, but this is probably my biggest disappointment with the camera. I think this might be a deal-killer for some who want a discrete street camera. Use one of the special modes (HHT, etc.), and it's even more obnoxious/intrusive.