Firmware v2.0 released

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Firmware v2.0 released

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/07/0 ... x-5-and-3/

There is no upgrade to the performance of the Alpha adaptor, or any fix for issues to do with the interface or the audio functions.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Firmware v2.0 released

Unread post by agorabasta »

The Ver.02 FW has solved all the flash out-of-sync problems for me.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

That's great to hear. I am bookmarking some adaptor vendor offers from eBay right now - so far, Leica screw and C-mount may be on my list. I am a bit sorry now that I sold or gave away for almost nothing so many assorted camera lenses in the past. Some would have been very interesting to adapt. At least I do have a C-mount zoom somewhere, I'm going to see if I can find it.

There was once a view camera/monorail made in the UK which took 35mm film in a cut-film holder, frame by frame. It would be easy to make a monorail with full movements to use the NEX as its 'back end'. I think we are looking at a revolution in the use of older optics, as well as new concepts.

I will be seeing whether the NEX can auto-program the Elinchrom BRXi flash heads for sync from the mini flash.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I tried going through the links in the US site, and I keep getting "Invalid Entry" when I select the firmware. Any ideas? Not sure if I want to download the EU firmware....
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Do not try to use the EU firmware. It is only suitable for PAL 50/25 specification cameras and the US model is NTSC 60/30 video. Wait for a US announcement, it should be finalised within about 12 hours of the European one.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Actually, both the EU and the Japanese (NTSC as well) versions are the same bit-exact file. So hardly the US could be anything different; it's just that US is still asleep.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Ok, it's working now! Thanks!
redsim74
Oligarch

Windows Only?

Unread post by redsim74 »

Wow, what's the deal with the huge backward step with the firmware install process? :roll:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I was just a bit knocked back when I realised I would have to fire up a PC to be able to use the firmware update. What if I had been travelling, with just my Mac, and found this update and was unable to use it? Or what if my only computer was a Mac - plenty of people are in that situation. The update process reminded me exactly why I really dislike Windows and all the intrusive rubbish which comes with it; I think it launched three different programs during my install process, un-asked, including launching Firefox twice automatically and repeatedly launching a very domineering 'can't be sent away' dialog from Norton.

The installer says close down all other programs. It should say - and turn off/disconnect your internet connection during the install process. Midway during installation, my netbook announced it had installed some Windows updates and would automatically reboot in 15 minutes unless I asked it the restart immediately. It did not offer me the option of not restarting at all (i.e. - choice of restarting in 15, or now, but NOT of cancelling the restart like you can on the Mac when it installs something behind your back).

Fortunately, the upgrade process only took 5 minutes even allowing for my having the retrieve the active Upgrader window four times from behind other non-dismissable windows during the process (and without getting rid of those overlaid windows, the Upgrader dialog could not be accessed and the process was temporarily halted).

I really do not like the way Windows tried to copy the Mac multiple window concept, but forgot to allow you to grab and move hidden windows even when there's one in front.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Who copied who? ha ha, David, you normally can cycle through all currently open windows by holding 'Alt' and repeatedly pressing 'Tab' normally that is, but a Windows security update is anything but normal normally. :lol:
Greg
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

I don't recall getting a ton of popups. I followed instructions carefully, and it went ok! I don't recall if I had pending installs, but probably not. Any time I do a firmware install, I'm a bit nervous. Even when you do everything right, there's a chance of bricking your device.

BTW, I don't use Norton. Gave that one up years ago.... That sounds like a self-inflicted wound, if you ask me. :lol:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I do not choose to have Norton on the netbook, it's what Emachines install by default when you buy it. Windows has been intrusively trying to force me to 'pick' a web browser (something they are now obliged to do) and although I already have Firefox installed and selected as default, keeps trying to get me to download it again if I want it to be default (while also inviting me to choose from five or six browser alternatives).

Obviously I should have turned on the PC netbook, left it for half an hour to exorcise itself of various demons and settle down to normal operation. The Norton windows do not respond to clicking close, they force you either to say 'remind me later' or 'buy now' - there is no 'p*ss off and leave my machine alone' option. I'll try to find a deinstaller somewhere on the machine.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yeah me too, years and years ago, Nortons is nearly as bad as having a virus, it permeates right through your system and slows the whole thing down something terrible, and difficult too actually get rid of completely. The free Microsoft security system isn't too bad, (they no longer have the Live One Care subcription service), but like David says, there is always the intrusive almost ignorant download and installs, can be irritating at times if you happen to be in the middle of something, but then system security is security, and Windows is a long time favourite of the digital vandals.
Poor old Bill, you'd think they'd get off his back...er, that's right, he's not there anymore, maybe they've given up....then again, maybe not, or maybe the various security services do a little on the side, just too remind us not to forget to keep subscribing... :D
Greg

ps. I saw your post David, lots of luck with uninstalling Nortons and still have a stable machine afterwards, if you do you will then be continually pestered by Windows too get a current virus checker from somewhere.....there is no escape, big brother is watching your every move....
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Windows bloatware issues aside, it seems an odd path to go down.

We already have a perfectly serviceable — and system agnostic — way of updating firmware for A-mount Alphas, why not continue with that?
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

I hardly ever see a popup and annoying dialog boxes on my Windows machine :) of course I take care of it, and the first thing I do is uninstall all the bloatware that comes with a new computer (including Norton or McAfee). The uninstall is in control panel/Proograms.