NEX cameras are in more stores now

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

NEX cameras are in more stores now

Unread post by Danjojo_Resurrected1 »

Yesterday at the Fry's Electronics here in San Diego, took a quick snap of the NEX-5 with a crappy cell phone before I left...they also had the NEX-3 with both kit lenses...NEX-5 with 16mm arrives on the 11th.

It was fun to watch a few people come check them out and listen to their comments. Not as fun as having an employee rush over to tell me all about the NEX cameras though, the usual onslaught of false facts. He had a good pitch on why I should get the zoom kit if I get one but I don't recall what exactly he said.

Anyway, it is how I thought it would be once they arrive in major stores and the cameras are placed right there beside DSLR cameras. Guys saying to friends and family, "Dang, look at this one!" Watched one girl start to purchase a NEX-3 and two others tell their husbands/boyfriends they want one.

It's going to get very interesting once the television ads start up.
Attachments
NexInStock.jpg
NexInStock.jpg (174.86 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: NEX cameras are in more stores now

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Last week, I bought my Nex-- the camera store got 3 kits (Nex-5 and 18-55), and had already sold one. The local Fry's had a Nex-3 at that time. I went to Fry's because they have really good prices on the flash memory. Anyway, yesterday, I went to Fry's again, and they had multiple kits. I visited a different camera store (same chain) and they said that they hadn't sold any yet. They didn't see much interest so far, but one guy said that he thought it'd be popular in the fall, when people start buying for the holidays. One old-timer (that worked there) said that he thought this was the modern-day rangefinder; I don't think he necessarily meant that as a complement. He didn't exactly say what he thought of it, but he didn't seem interested in a conversation about it, while the other salesman was much more open to it. Let's face it, Sony still doesn't get a lot of respect in some circles.

Although, I will say (and I told them this), that I don't think Nex replaces DSLRs, particularly for pros. But I see it being really great for enthusiasts.

Anyway, yeah, if you want one, or just want to look at it, you should be able to find one.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here in the UK most deliveries sold out within hours. I got the last NEX-5/18-55/16mm kit at Cameraworld, and no-one else had any kits. Apparently silver is not popular so there was one left. I wanted silver - it's far more practical, black marks so easily, and in Arizona my A900 got too hot to touch just from carrying round my neck!

Nikon's general manager in the UK departed his job yesterday after many years. No explanation has been given. I know him well enough, nice guy. However, Nikon's entire summer campaign is based on Coolpix and I fear that Coolpix just ain't cool any more - Micro 4/3rds put a dint in sales, NEX is hammering them. Wait until you see the figures. NEX is going to cause an industry shakedown, it's selling out of stock on first production in most parts of the world, in the middle of the worst recession we have (recently) seen.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Same thing is happening in Canada. Sony has cut the store inventory allocations because the preorders are so strong. The Henry's staff are furious. this could be a big problem if Sony can't allocate enough production to this.

I should explain. the staff make some comission money and they were expecting some good bonus money from a push on these. this won;r do them any good if there are no cameras in Canada people will buy them on line. The US is always flush with excess inventory even though Sony does everything to discourage cross border sales... everything except enforcing the warranty (they will apply the Canadian 2yr to the US cameras)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Javelin wrote:The US is always flush with excess inventory even though Sony does everything to discourage cross border sales... everything except enforcing the warranty (they will apply the Canadian 2yr to the US cameras)
Clearly Sony needs to make the U.S. version with a Swahili menu and no ability to change the language. That might discourage Canadians from buying it. If it discourages people in the U.S. from buying it too, well it is a small price to pay. :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ha! now you're getting some 21st Century logic and commonsense Henry, I'm still a little fuddled myself.... :lol:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Danjojo_Resurrected1, where have you gone?