Switching NEX off - better than sleep

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Switching NEX off - better than sleep

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

NEX-5 takes slightly less times to bring up and focus a live view, and shoot, when switching on from a cold start than the camera takes to wake up from sleep mode by pressing the shutter button. Since turning it off also prevents battery drain caused by the 1 minute minimum period before the camera sleeps (Power Save), it's generally better to carry the camera turned off unless you expect to take more than one picture per minute.

David
OneGuyKs

Re: Switching NEX off - better than sleep

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

David Kilpatrick wrote:NEX-5 takes slightly less times to bring up and focus a live view, and shoot, when switching on from a cold start than the camera takes to wake up from sleep mode by pressing the shutter button. Since turning it off also prevents battery drain caused by the 1 minute minimum period before the camera sleeps (Power Save), it's generally better to carry the camera turned off unless you expect to take more than one picture per minute.

David

You can increase the sleep time from 1-minute to say 5-minute. That works better.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Switching NEX off - better than sleep

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you increase the sleep time to 5 minutes the battery drains pretty fast, as the live view remains active and focuses the lens. That's why I have set mine to 1 min. To really hang on to battery life, switching off is better, and actually works faster when you want to shoot in a hurry. The only problem I can see is that the switch will get too much wear and tear.

David