Practical Photography's NEX-5 report

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Practical Photography's NEX-5 report

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I intended to write a forum post about this, but changed my mind and despite the risks of being shot at by PP guys, thought it belonged more in the public eye:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/07/1 ... rdict-810/

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Practical Photography's NEX-5 report

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Look on the bright side "What Digital Camera" have given the NEX-5 a 90% score and a "Gold" rating. Unfortunately they often rave about a lot of cameras so that takes away from things somewhat.

I've never really found a magazine that I feel gives good reviews and balanced scores it's a bit hit and miss and Practical Photography are no exception. Even Amateur Photographer can be very patchy at times. There's another digital magazine cannot remember the name I browse the odd time and that seems to instantly rubbish any other maker bar the big 2 (Canikon) for compacts or DSLR which is odd as Nikon have many mediocre compacts on the market.

The word "Discerning" means different things to different people. I'm sure the NEX range won't appeal to folks who desire lots of on body controls and customisation. I'd consider that a very important aspect of camera design. I'll still have a grab of one when I get the chance, but it's just not that exciting when I think of how it "could have been" (design wise)

Amazon UK now have a sales ranking for "compact system cameras" how accurate this is no idea. Market seems dominated by Olympus and Panasonic at the moment. Samsung seem to be having little impact (possibly the look or maybe not competitive enough) maybe a tad early to judge NEX as it's just starting shipping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_ ... d_i=560834
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think my issue with the word 'discerning' is what I know PP thinks it means to readers - if you know anything about cameras, don't buy this. They are using the word to mean, if you are in the know, if you have values, if you are upmarket, advanced, etc.

To use it as a key word in the final verdict on a camera - 'would not recommend to discerning photographers' - is pretty strong, and as I say, they don't actually discuss any alternatives or attempt to set the features of the camera in context. It's a very, very badly done review.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I don't know about the U.K., but that sounds just like much of the "journalistic" news writing these days in the U.S.. The "reporter" has an agenda, sometimes barely hidden, and rather than just reporting the news he/she carefully crafts the wording, fails to mentions some things, highlights others and all intended to put the desired spin on the subject. The result is just plain dishonesty. If the news or a camera review, which the reader expects to be as objective as possible, is just used to further the writer's ulterior motives then it is really shameful. If the writer is upfront about it all then it is an editorial opinion and most of us are fine with that.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Maybe Practical Photography magazine is having budgetary problems and can't afford too pay for actual real reviewers. :roll:
Greg
Danjojo_Resurrected1
Initiate

Unread post by Danjojo_Resurrected1 »

It's a toss up between this and dpreview's for my favorite now :evil:

I really wonder what the criteria is for being writer or editor with either one. Where I went to grade school this wouldn't be a passing grade for a report turned in by little Charlie. It is almost painful to know there is monetary compensation involved. I can understand the foolish, irresponsible comments within these reviews but dear God, at least let the facts be facts before this doggie-doo is released.

I guess we would be lost without them, they let us know what is advanced enough to appease our wants and needs. Some how discerning photographers can't decipher photographs and spec lists, we are morons who expect the NEX to be a transformer and turn into a900's once you whip it out of the pocket, we should thank them for enlightening us that this isn't so.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I regularly read two or three of the UK monthly photo mags, including PP, and echoing Barry's comments the camera / lens reviews are not their strong points, although I'm sure that they have a huge influence on people's buying decisions. They are normally pretty inconclusive, just really describing the feature list. I've always assumed that they don't want to offend any manufacturer because of their reliance on advertising. Their reviews of Sony kit always seem especially poor but that is probably as I know more about the subject in those cases :) .

In the previous month's issue of PP they reviewed the Panny G2 and gave it a very positive review. It was "tested by" Darren Harbar (is this the same as reviewing it? did he write the words?) again, and the conclusion was that the G2 was "the best CSC to date". The major thing they seemed to like was the tiltable LCD with touch screen features. They think the G2 "will appeal to the photographer who owns a large DSLR and wants a more convenient casual camera but still have creative control." I was surpsised by this statement as the G2 is by no means pocketable in my opinion. There is also a confusing section where they say that the 4/3 sensor sits between compacts and aps-c dslrs in terms of "detail", but then says the 4/3 sensor is "comparable" in image quality to aps-c sensor cameras. Very confusing.

It could be that the Panny G2 is preferred by PP to the Nex and the result is the recommendation for the discerning to avoid the Nex. I am still surprised of that final PP comment on the Nex - sounds to me suspiciously like the DPR conclusion, i.e. the camera is ok but if your are advanced/discerning then best to avoid.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

There is a certain similarity in tone. Wouldn't be surprising for someone to take their lead from dpr and play it safe. I had a discussion over there just a few days ago about the fact that the very good sales of nex in japan mean that at least some people are ignoring their advice to not buy it. In conversation afterwards with one of them it really does seem that they think it's perfectly Ok to make a blanket 'don't buy' comment on the nex, for ALL users, failing to point out that it can be great if you don't change iso and wb all the time. The DC resource review seems the most useful review to date, pointing out the deficiencies but highlighting that not all users will suffer. There is clearly some agenda at dpr, the reviewer Richard Butler systematically finds a weak spot in a sony camera and then fixates on that. It was the same story for high iso for the A350.
Birma wrote:It could be that the Panny G2 is preferred by PP to the Nex and the result is the recommendation for the discerning to avoid the Nex. I am still surprised of that final PP comment on the Nex - sounds to me suspiciously like the DPR conclusion, i.e. the camera is ok but if your are advanced/discerning then best to avoid.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Hey there Mike,

You know what - those punk-reviewers must really have a sorta feelin' like 'the sky is falling', even if they never repent that deep :lol:

I now can't but remember those makers of inexorably expensive cassette decks from early 80's that got decimated in that particular business by the sleek all-metal-bodied nearly-CC-sized Walkman player thingie. Half of my Hi-Fi friends then got rid of HUGE stationary decks 'in a wink of the eye' (the other half didn't really care to bother).

So let me say once again - a P&S property when delivered with true quality (and in a sexy body) is a huge 'plus' in the eyes of majority. And let the geeks to their devices, afterall...
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

bakubo wrote:I don't know about the U.K., but that sounds just like much of the "journalistic" news writing these days in the U.S.. The "reporter" has an agenda, sometimes barely hidden, and rather than just reporting the news he/she carefully crafts the wording, fails to mentions some things, highlights others and all intended to put the desired spin on the subject. The result is just plain dishonesty. If the news or a camera review, which the reader expects to be as objective as possible, is just used to further the writer's ulterior motives then it is really shameful. If the writer is upfront about it all then it is an editorial opinion and most of us are fine with that.

Thats because they all want the comentators job. Beat reporters don't earn much but they get to keep their souls and can look their children in the eye sometimes thats not enough
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Danjojo_Resurrected1 wrote:It's a toss up between this and dpreview's for my favorite now :evil:

I really wonder what the criteria is for being writer or editor with either one. Where I went to grade school this wouldn't be a passing grade for a report turned in by little Charlie. It is almost painful to know there is monetary compensation involved. I can understand the foolish, irresponsible comments within these reviews but dear God, at least let the facts be facts before this doggie-doo is released.

I guess we would be lost without them, they let us know what is advanced enough to appease our wants and needs. Some how discerning photographers can't decipher photographs and spec lists, we are morons who expect the NEX to be a transformer and turn into a900's once you whip it out of the pocket, we should thank them for enlightening us that this isn't so.
Danjojo_Resurrected1, did you EVER get a NEX? You were everywhere on multiple forums using multiple ids during the NEX launch with extreme enthusiasm and then when the NEX was available you just suddenly disappeared into thin air. Where are you?