Sony 16-80mm zeiss

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Tenbears10
Acolyte

Sony 16-80mm zeiss

Unread post by Tenbears10 »

Is anyone using this lens with their nex? I am wondering if I can buy a nex with just the pancake lens any get the adaptor to use the zeiss instead of the kit zoom? I realize it won't auto focus even after the firmware update.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony 16-80mm zeiss

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Tenbears10 wrote:Is anyone using this lens with their nex? I am wondering if I can buy a nex with just the pancake lens any get the adaptor to use the zeiss instead of the kit zoom? I realize it won't auto focus even after the firmware update.
Welcome Tenbears.
Unfortunately you'll be restricted to manual focus with the ZA 16-80 but you'll still have very good quality, much better than NEX's kit lens.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
ctyankee
Acolyte

Re: Sony 16-80mm zeiss

Unread post by ctyankee »

Are you in the US ? If you buy the two-lens kit, you save $150 ... so you basically buy the NEX/16 kit and pay only $150 more to get the zoom. It lacks the range and edge to edge quality of the 16-80, but it AFs, it's compact, and it's stabilized.

If you're seriously considering the 16-80 and it's likely to be used frequently, I'd take a hard look at the a33. I'm actually about to order both - an A33 and a NEX-5 kit - to play with them and see which suits my needs better.

- Dennis