LA-EA1 Lens supported

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Johnc
Initiate

LA-EA1 Lens supported

Unread post by Johnc »

Hi all
Have had a look around the forum and can't seem to find a post or a sticky on what lens the NEX LA-EA1 adapter will or will not support, or degree of support. Could be my bad eye-sight :D

Would it not be a good ideas to start a sticky on this.

I an looking at acquiring a NEX and wondering which of my lens will I be able to use.

Many thanks
John
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: LA-EA1 Lens supported

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Johnc wrote:Hi all
Have had a look around the forum and can't seem to find a post or a sticky on what lens the NEX LA-EA1 adapter will or will not support, or degree of support. Could be my bad eye-sight :D

Would it not be a good ideas to start a sticky on this.

I an looking at acquiring a NEX and wondering which of my lens will I be able to use.

Many thanks
John
Hi,
All the A-mount lens (but the Xi) will work with the LA-EA1 adapter. The SAM and SSM lenses will focus with the firmware upgrade Sony brought last month.

You can control F-stop and the camera will work on A mode. Focus distance and f-stop are recorded in the EXIF data.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

Thanks Pako
I was under the impression that very few lens would AF and that at best, they would only work in MF mode.
Outside of the Sony brand, I guess there will be greater incompatibility. (ie with Tamron, Minolta and Sigma)
Thanks again
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Johnc wrote:Thanks Pako
I was under the impression that very few lens would AF and that at best, they would only work in MF mode.
Outside of the Sony brand, I guess there will be greater incompatibility. (ie with Tamron, Minolta and Sigma)
Thanks again
Because of this reason, you should be careful in lens selection. I ended up having a 70-300G for Nex camera. It is able to focus automatically, once you press the shutter. :mrgreen:
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

pakodominguez wrote
The SAM and SSM lenses will focus with the firmware upgrade Sony brought last month.
So if I bought a NEX-5 and then the new Tamron 70-300mm with built-in motor it would not AF because Sony have made sure that the LA-EA1 converter will only AF with SAM and SSM lenses. That is odd and a bit short sighted by Sony. Considering Tamron's record of making lenses for Sony one would have thought that Tamron lenses with built in motors would also AF with the upgraded LA-EA1.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Just noticed David Kilpatrick's entry on the Sigma 150-500 thread
Contrast detection AF has real problems with focal lengths in that range. I can't get my 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM Sigma to lock focus more than one try in twenty maybe. It can do it, it just lacks the gradual refinement of the E-system motor to home in on the right point. The slow SAM motor works rather better.
So following that the new Tamron may AF on the NEX-5 with upgraded LA-EA1 converter, but slowly and with some hesitation unless Tamron has installed a more suitable motor. Not really realistic to think that.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I believe the Tamron motor will work as it'\s basically similar to SAM. No chance to try it though.

David
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

this thread has some info:
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=4615
e.g.
David Kilpatrick wrote:I do not have the Tamron here but can confirm:
30mm f/2.8 SAM macro - scary slow and noisy, works
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM G - perfectly fast and silent, within parameters of focus method
70-200mm f/2.8 Sigma HSM II - ditto, works well
70-300mm f/4-5.6 Sigma OS - OS works, focus works, similar to SAM 30mm it's noisy and slow
18-55mm SAM - similar to 30mm

In-lens motors like SAM work, but they are clunky. SSM works surprisingly smoothly. All take some time to settle into focus; slower than the Pentax K-5, but a similar search and refine focus cycle.

David
The legacy lens binge on nex is OOC worldwide, but most are using MF and fewer have LAEA1 which is nearly 10x cost of, say, an FD or M to nex adapter--these are going for 25USD and work fine--but no wires of course.

I am surprised we don't have a good list of third-party AF lens compatablity by this point. The sigma HSM II 70-200 proves some will work pretty well--but which others?

The list of lenses which allow aperture control but won't AF must be quite large--and many of these would be attractive to some.

I have ordered both LAEA1 and sigma 8-16mm after David was kind enough to verify aperture control.

I have all the emounts, including 18200, and probably the only other modern lens i will buy at some point is the 70400 for wildlife/nature.

Leagcy primes I use are FD 20, 24 f/2, 35 f/2, Kiron 28 f/2, konica 40 f/1.8, pentax-m f/1.4, FL 55 1.2, tokina 90 atx, kiron 105, and soligar 135 f/2, all specially selected for the nex-5 and vg10. All work outstanding.

I travel alot in the backcountry and normal DSLRs are just too big. I can take the nex and one or two lenses and day gear in a small pack. It's a revolution for me.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

CharlieWebster wrote:I travel alot in the backcountry and normal DSLRs are just too big. I can take the nex and one or two lenses and day gear in a small pack. It's a revolution for me.
This is the point that many canikon users are missing. In conversation, I've had them dismiss sony saying "they are the red headed stepchild in the camera world", "they don't do anything well", their optics are "doggie-doo". With the nex and the A33/A55 I really think sony IS changing the game, and their statements are simply made to justify their own decisions in a changing camera market...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

CharlieWebster wrote: The legacy lens binge on nex is OOC worldwide, but most are using MF and fewer have LAEA1 which is nearly 10x cost of, say, an FD or M to nex adapter--these are going for 25USD and work fine--but no wires of course.
well, those wires make quite a difference, like lens information and AF (limited, we know that)
I had mixed experiences buying adapters from eBay, the first MD to NEX adapter I got doesn't allow me to focus to the infinite, specially with wide angle lenses (the Minolta MD 24mm f2.8 focus barely 6 to 8 meters, and even stepped down does not gave me a sharp image, I use it on teles only) the second adapter I got, from a different seller, works fine.
CharlieWebster wrote: I am surprised we don't have a good list of third-party AF lens compatablity by this point. The sigma HSM II 70-200 proves some will work pretty well--but which others?
This is a clever idea, David, don't you want to create a "3rd party compatibility" page? I say page and not thread because threads can get a lot of pollution or been kidnapped by one of those deaf lions loitering around... Not now, because I had too much work to do, but I can commit to go to Adorama and try as many lenses I can, early January.
CharlieWebster wrote: I have all the emounts, including 18200, and probably the only other modern lens i will buy at some point is the 70400 for wildlife/nature.
I'm not interested yet on e-mount zooms, and I'm waiting for the primes Sony showed as mock-up at Photokina, otherwise I'm happy with the SEL 16f2.8 and I just ordered the fisheye lens for it. For the rest of my needs, I use Minolta MD/MC lenses and I have pretty much all that I need -my 'everyday kit" includes MD 24mm f2.8; MC 58mm f1.4; MD 105 f2.5 and SEL 16f2.8

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Lonnie Utah wrote: This is the point that many canikon users are missing. In conversation, I've had them dismiss sony saying "they are the red headed stepchild in the camera world", "they don't do anything well", their optics are "doggie-doo". With the nex and the A33/A55 I really think sony IS changing the game, and their statements are simply made to justify their own decisions in a changing camera market...
Sony's G and CZ lenses are world class, and their sensors are good enough for Nikon and Pentax to use, so I wouldn't say "they don't do anything well"!

Dusty
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Dusty wrote:Sony's G and CZ lenses are world class, and their sensors are good enough for Nikon and Pentax to use, so I wouldn't say "they don't do anything well"!
Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out some of the ridiculous comments from that crowd.
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

pakodominguez wrote: This is a clever idea, David, don't you want to create a "3rd party compatibility" page? I say page and not thread because threads can get a lot of pollution or been kidnapped by one of those deaf lions loitering around... Not now, because I had too much work to do, but I can commit to go to Adorama and try as many lenses I can, early January.
Regards

This would be a great service to all users

Another unanswered question is AF in video with both the Nex-5 and vg10. Do any non-emounts have AF that works while using video?

So please check video, both by simply moving the frame around and pressing photo button. Note speed and noise.

If that fast CZ zoom would AF in video that would be very usefull to know.

Another aspect where the Nex-5 kills all DSLRs is the stealth factor. Low light ability combined with small size and tilt screen means that candid shots can be taken without offense in alot of places where even having a DSLR on your lap will draw eyes.

And last is the the question: What IS a DSLR? Does it have to have a mirror? No? Then it has to have an EVF? Some pros consider the nex a DSLR others are scandalized by this heresey.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Not to steer people away from Dave's site, but it think the GetDPI forums have a list started already...

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

CharlieWebster wrote: Another unanswered question is AF in video with both the Nex-5 and vg10. Do any non-emounts have AF that works while using video?

So please check video, both by simply moving the frame around and pressing photo button. Note speed and noise.

If that fast CZ zoom would AF in video that would be very usefull to know.
it does AF in movie mode, but not continuous AF like the SEM lenses -I konw, it would be soooo beautiful
Pako
------------