Will this allow me to use Tamron 18-200 on my NEX ?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vaughan Brean
Heirophant

Will this allow me to use Tamron 18-200 on my NEX ?

Unread post by Vaughan Brean »

I am assuming this will work with a Tamron 18-200, but I suppose I would have no AF right ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Will this allow me to use Tamron 18-200 on my NEX ?

Unread post by agorabasta »

Vaughan, that would be a totally manual lens on that adapter. You could calculate the aperture from the measured shutter speed change at a fixed ISO by first setting the lens wide open, then closing it to the desired DOF. No info is communicated from lens to camera at all.
Vaughan Brean
Heirophant

agorabasta wrote:Vaughan, that would be a totally manual lens on that adapter. You could calculate the aperture from the measured shutter speed change at a fixed ISO by first setting the lens wide open, then closing it to the desired DOF. No info is communicated from lens to camera at all.
thanks for the reply, I wont bother with that then :? I have an A100 with a Tamron 18-200 now, I had forgotten how good the A100 was, I would like such a lens on the NEX, but the E-Mount version is way more money than I am prepared to pay, so I will just stick to the A100 combo as it was not at all expensive
...thanks again
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Vaughan Brean wrote: I have an A100 with a Tamron 18-200 now, I had forgotten how good the A100 was, I would like such a lens on the NEX, but the E-Mount version is way more money than I am prepared to pay,
get the Sony adapter?
It'll be dearer & you still won't have AF with that lens but it'll pass exposure info & if you buy any SAM/SSM lenses in the future you'll get AF with them.
Vaughan Brean
Heirophant

Heidfirst wrote:
Vaughan Brean wrote: I have an A100 with a Tamron 18-200 now, I had forgotten how good the A100 was, I would like such a lens on the NEX, but the E-Mount version is way more money than I am prepared to pay,
get the Sony adapter?
It'll be dearer & you still won't have AF with that lens but it'll pass exposure info & if you buy any SAM/SSM lenses in the future you'll get AF with them.
Are you saying that the sony adapter with a Sony (say 18-250) lens, fitted to the NEX would work with both AF and exposure ?....if so, that is quite interesting
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

the Sony adapter will pass exposure info from any Alpha mount lens to a NEX afaik.
Additionally if that lens is SAM/SSM rather than screw driven it will AF (albeit slowly atm).
So, in the case of your 18-200mm it won't AF but if Sony bring out a SAM/SSM 18-250 or 18-270 then they should AF as well.

Remember that the E-mount 18-200mm is video optimised & include OIS so comparing it to the Alpha 18-200mm is apples to oranges.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The Sony LA-EA1 has no screwdriver, so AF is possible with the Sony SSM/SAM lenses and also with some Sigma HSM ones. Most Sigma HSM lenses still can't focus even with that adapter.

I'd say that the Sony adapter, despite being expensive, still makes a lot of sense if you consider all those cheap new SAMs that are pretty good optically.
Vaughan Brean
Heirophant

agorabasta wrote:The Sony LA-EA1 has no screwdriver, so AF is possible with the Sony SSM/SAM lenses and also with some Sigma HSM ones. Most Sigma HSM lenses still can't focus even with that adapter.
I'd say that the Sony adapter, despite being expensive, still makes a lot of sense if you consider all those cheap new SAMs that are pretty good optically.
Thats very helpful info, thanks for the reply, will get the Sony one and then I am covered
VBB
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sony adaptor and SAM 55-200mm is your best choice for the NEX, but remember - no stabilisation. You absolutely must use fast shutter speeds around 1/500th at 200mm to be certain of sharp pix.

The 55-200mm SAM not only costs very little, unlike your 18-200mm it will autofocus as well as autoexpose on the NEX, and it will give you 1/3rd of a stop more light at 200mm - along with rather better optical performance.

David
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony adaptor and SAM 55-200mm is your best choice for the NEX, but remember - no stabilisation. You absolutely must use fast shutter speeds around 1/500th at 200mm to be certain of sharp pix.

The 55-200mm SAM not only costs very little, unlike your 18-200mm it will autofocus as well as autoexpose on the NEX, and it will give you 1/3rd of a stop more light at 200mm - along with rather better optical performance.

David

Why not simply use the excellent 18-200 Emount, which is by far the sharpest of the emounts and of course has the OIS for the nex.

Yes it's about 800USD, maybe 400 more than the 55-200 with adapter, but you could sell your kit lens for 200---well maybe it's just too big to have on all the time.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

harlieWebster wrote
David Kilpatrick wrote:
Sony adaptor and SAM 55-200mm is your best choice for the NEX, but remember - no stabilisation. You absolutely must use fast shutter speeds around 1/500th at 200mm to be certain of sharp pix.

David

Why not simply use the excellent 18-200 Emount, which is by far the sharpest of the emounts and of course has the OIS for the nex.

Yes it's about 800USD, maybe 400 more than the 55-200 with adapter, but you could sell your kit lens for 200---well maybe it's just too big to have on all the time.
The E-mouont 18-200 is heavy and there is a third option, namely wait for the rumoured E mount 55-200 supposedly to be released in 2011. I have the 16mm as well as 18-55mm so a light 55-200mm would suit me.