135 f/2.8 AIS

55 F/2.8 micro AIS

best,

Charlie
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Re: Kipon Tilt Adapter

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

Well, I had a gig today for a magzine ad.

Assignment: Shoot dance instructor, blur students, show motion, landscape orientation:

Tools: Nex-5, Kipon tilt adaptor, Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS

These are straight out of the camera, no PP.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I have never used a Tilt lens. I guess it's a bit tricky to achieve wanted/expected results.
I'm interested in 2 issues:
1-Have you ever tried it on buildings? And how are the results?
2-On an inclined board/table to have focus on all plane (e.g., lots of stuff on a table and you want focus from the nearest part to the farthest one).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

Dr. Harout wrote:I have never used a Tilt lens. I guess it's a bit tricky to achieve wanted/expected results.
I'm interested in 2 issues:
1-Have you ever tried it on buildings? And how are the results?
2-On an inclined board/table to have focus on all plane (e.g., lots of stuff on a table and you want focus from the nearest part to the farthest one).
For that the lens must also shift.

Here is what I crave:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/28pc.html

The tilt only adapters are good to create isolated POF or "miniature" effect, but not for the incredible DOF stuff like:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/28pcex.html
or
http://www.naturfotograf.com/amanita.html
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Charlie - I found the the dance instructor shots an excellent explanation of the 'tilt effect'. It looks a neat little package on the Nex.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The tilt adaptor is perfectly capable of extended depth of field - that's almost all I use it for, the 'miniature' effect etc can be achieved using onOne Focal Point in Photoshop with more control and no need to shoot a crippled original file. If I want a more complex effect, I use the LensBaby (which Focal Point can't imitate).

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am impressed by Charlie Wheeler's pictures. I wish that Kipon or somebody would design a tilt and shift adapter for NEX that would allow architectural photography with my NEX-5 as if I had a real T/S lens mounted. Don't know how this could be done, but I wish somebody would do it. I cannot understand why Kipon focus on making tilt adapters for Nikon, Leica and M42 lenses and not Sony/Minolta AF lenses. I think that such an adapter with a W/A prime would be just fine. I would probably pay £150 for such an adapter.
David Kilpatrick wrote:
The tilt adaptor is perfectly capable of extended depth of field - that's almost all I use it for, the
I wish he would explain how and what lenses he uses. My main concern would be to get an adapter that would enable T/S of Sony/Minolta lenses. That would resolve the long standing problem of the disconnect between Sony and T/S. My experience with my Mamiya 645 and T/S lens (now sold) was that the results beat PS adjustments. Wishful thinking perhaps and apologies for my ignorance.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It would be useful if a tilt adaptor did incorporate shift, because in order to keep the axis of the lens central to the image area, both should be used in combination otherwise you may end up working with the edge of the image field.

I use several M42 lenses on the Kipon adaptor. The main problem is that they need a stop-down setting, the adaptor does not include a pin plate to close down the FAD mechanism. I have for example a very good Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Filtermatic but it has no stop-down mechanism, where a rather beaten up old Flektogon 20mm f/4 does have a stop-down lever (still not ideal).

A perfect tilt mechanism rotates in an arc whose radius hits the centre of the image plane. The Kipon design is not so far off this but the radius is a bit too tight. Even 3mm or so of shift would make a difference to quality.

David