Wide and Fish adaptors

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Wide and Fish adaptors

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I received the missing wide yesterday, and today had to cover a seminar held at a hotel 60 miles away - the sun did come out briefly during lunch, but the place was far from photogenic. I can tell you now that for reporting, general uses the converters on the 16mm are fine at f/3.5 - it just takes half a stop to clean up the image really. Around f/8 to f/11, they are almost as good as you could ever expect a converter to be. Also, the ACR correction profile for the 16mm works well with the converters fitted, and to remove excess CA, it's only necessary to ramp the CA removal up to 200.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/133240552 for full size

The geometry, as above, with 12mm (18mm equivalent combo) is pretty much up to architectural standards and the sharpness of detail is incredible, just like the bare 16mm. Look at the stone texture on the hotel. This is f/11 but that's what such a pic needs in any format.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/133240605 for full size

Again, fantastic sharpness, and the rendering the of the car park stone into the extreme corners is perfect.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/133240689 for full size

ISO 1600, not that this really bothers the NEX-5 in the slightest. Fisheye converter, camera propped on hands on bar. Great close focus. Great lack of flare. Superb sharpness.

I do hope the photo press/websites does not launch into these quite amazing tiny bits of glass (three elements only... and it works!). If they do, they have never used other converters, where quality like this always means HUGE size.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Wide and Fish adaptors

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Also, the ACR correction profile for the 16mm works well with the converters fitted, and to remove excess CA, it's only necessary to ramp the CA removal up to 200.
Yep, I had experienced the same. I had only processed some pics with the fisheye converter, but I've been really happy so far and the LR profile really helps.
David Kilpatrick wrote: ISO 1600, not that this really bothers the NEX-5 in the slightest.
Yep (again) I'm not a fan of available light when I'm shooting events, but I'm using the NEX for that kind of shots and I think I'm ready to add this camera to my "events kit" bag. I only need the next NEX to be the same size, but with EVF.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

It wasn't quite clear. Are you saying there are 2 converters for the 16mm and that one converts it to an 18mm and the other converts it to a fisheye?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

That's correct Henry. There is a VCL-ECU1 which has a 0.75% factor and converts to a true wide-angle, and also a VCL-ECF1 with a 0.6X (ish) factor which converts to a slightly over 10mm fisheye. They both have identical cases and caps and are almost exactly the same size and appearance apart from the visible curve on the fisheye front element.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Very interesting, thanks a lot. To my surprise, so far I haven't seen too many pic done with the 2 converters, they don't seem to be very popular. :?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Any word on an EVF for NEX? How about any word about some more small lenses? Sony brand or 3rd party?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I brought the wide angle converter for my NEX5 and was greatly impressed by the performance of this 18mm (35mm equivalent) device. I have only really had one opportunity to use it but I was greatly impressed by the images taken at 100%. I could not see any image deterioration. I uploaded a trio here some time ago (18-55mm, 16mm and 16mm with converter.)
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=5005
and below the NEX images bakubo (and others) can see my (surrogate) EVF called ClearViewer mounted on my NEX5. This really is an excellent device and everything is clear and greatly enlarged. Reading all the settings is simply easy as well.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

alphaomega wrote:I brought the wide angle converter for my NEX5 and was greatly impressed by the performance of this 18mm (35mm equivalent) device. I have only really had one opportunity to use it but I was greatly impressed by the images taken at 100%. I could not see any image deterioration. I uploaded a trio here some time ago (18-55mm, 16mm and 16mm with converter.)
The NEX has a 1.5x APS-C sensor just like the DSLRs so 18mm would be equivalent to 27mm, not 35mm. So it seems that with the 16mm and if one uses the converters one can have a 16mm (24mm fov), 18mm (27mm fov), and a fisheye.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Henry: NEX lens is 16mm = 24mm on 35mm
With 0.75X converter, ultrawide, becomes 12mm = 18mm on full frame
With 0.62X converter, fisheye, becomes 10mm = 15mm fisheye for full frame

I've got a stack of shots today ready for tomorrow's talk to the Photoworld Open Day in Edinburgh (Edin Photo Soc, Great King Street).

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow David.
David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Had a good meeting today in Edinburgh (Photoworld Day).

David Kilpatrick did a good job extolling the virtues of the diminutive NEX-5, though I'm still not sure it would suit me. I have recently got a used Leica rangefinder for work where I cannot carry a lot of heavy gear and lenses on holiday. I'm really liking the freedom of a small camera with simple controls and excellent lenses.

I was knocked out by Brian Clark's photo of Crail (I think) in particular - just a terrific scene. I have been doing a wee project myself, going round various places in Fife rephotographing places that were photographed by Erskine Beveridge in the late 1880's. I even used a tripod to try and get a feel for how the originals were made. (Something I rarely use, like John Peter said today, I have a tripod in my car, but that is where it stays most of time!) John's photos were impressive and even more so his success on Alamy.

Kenneth Martin is quite a character, and he obviously has a good business head on him. A completely different type of photographer to most of us, yet still obviously enjoying his profession and retaining his enthusiasm for the hobby of photography.

Lastly it was most interesting to hear about Duncan's Delhi 2010 adventures. He got a lot of very nice shots despite the obstacles put in his way. It must have been a fantastic experience.

As always there is never enough time to chat to everyone, but I did manage to meet a few of the regulars and a couple of new folks today.
David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Reference braeside's account of the Photoworld day in Edinburgh last Sunday, I also enjoyed the gathering and much admired Duncan McEwan's pictures from New Delhi. Getting a sharp image of fast moving action under difficult circumstances is a feat. Kenneth Martin is a class act and I never cease to wonder at David Kilpatrick's knowledge about all things photographic and also publishing. And he is always prepared to share his knowledge. Getting together with likeminded individuals is always a pleasure.
I also enjoyed showing my landscape pictures of the West of Scotland and Hebrides. Scotland is such a beautiful place (more so when the sun is shining at least in between the clouds).

John Peter
braeside
Grand Caliph

alphaomega wrote:Reference braeside's account of the Photoworld day in Edinburgh last Sunday, I also enjoyed the gathering and much admired Duncan McEwan's pictures from New Delhi. Getting a sharp image of fast moving action under difficult circumstances is a feat. Kenneth Martin is a class act and I never cease to wonder at David Kilpatrick's knowledge about all things photographic and also publishing. And he is always prepared to share his knowledge. Getting together with likeminded individuals is always a pleasure.
I also enjoyed showing my landscape pictures of the West of Scotland and Hebrides. Scotland is such a beautiful place (more so when the sun is shining at least in between the clouds).

John Peter
Hi John, Thanks for showing me the magnifier for the NEX, I may get one of those for my small TZ10 point and shoot.
David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

last minute job: taking pictures of someone office space. I only had the small bag with NEX5; 16mm and Fisheye; 24mm f2.8 and 85mm 2.8.
Client was amazed the quality of the small camera -I told him it is all about the lens(es)
;-)
SEL16mmF2.8 @f10
SEL16mmf2.8 + fisheye converter @f10
process on LR and SEL16 profile applied
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pilar Church, Buenos Aires, Argentina. NEX5 with 16mm and Fisheye adapter.

Pako
------------