NEX-7 announcement in three months time?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

NEX-7 announcement in three months time?

Unread post by alphaomega »

After five tries managed to get in. I think that Sonyalpharumors.com is getting quite excited about possible multiple releases of A and E mount cameras by Sony.
Latest headline runs like this (link) http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-sony ... -sony-a77/
I am not really interested in replacements for A33 and NEX3. Neither can I get worked up over the A77 as I am migrating to NEX gradually. I am beginning to feel the urge to put aside money for a NEX-7 if it is both small and features a 24Mp sensor and the rumoured new EVF built in http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... r-nex-too/
Don't really need it but I will probably not be able to resist the urge as this could be the ultimate camera marrying small size with giant capability. I can imagine that the lens choice will increase as Tamron, Sigma and CZ join in with E lenses that can AF with NEX. Only thing that may make me hesitate a while is if there is a NEX coming out later with phase detection in a capable sensor http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-dis ... -detecion/
Interesting times ahead for the Sony adherence crowd. Might be too early for the restless to migrate (except for those absolutely needing 100% live and on time OVF viewing).
tom power 53
Heirophant

Re: NEX-7 announcement in three months time?

Unread post by tom power 53 »

Yes the NEX and for that matter the SLT cameras are changing the game and bode well for Sony's future.

Some people will not like what they have to offer but IMO most will. Not necessarily most on these forums though.

All you have to do is look at any of the recent sales figures to see this success in gaining market share.You can't forget Sony's huge research and manufacturing power is on their side in building further gains also.

Sony ain't going to be your fathers camera but then we don't drive his old car either - or do you? :-)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I'm sure a NEX7 will have lots of uses, especially if it has 24MP and an EVF. However, to make full use of it as a compact your's limited to the pancake 16 lens and you're stuck at buying into a new lens system. Therefore it's not for me.

If any of the NEX were $250 camera, I might buy one to use my old MD lenses on, but I find it difficult to pay $600 or a P&S camera, no matter how advanced it is.

Dusty
alphaomega
Viceroy

Dusty, I would not view the rumoured NEX-7 as a P&S. From my perspective, my NEX-5 set-up produces as good results as my A580 but with limitations in performance such as shooting speed and lack of OVF & handy buttons. On the other hand it is portable, particularly if you are away on foot for any length of time and a pensioner such as me. Future purchases will be NEX based, but I am still holding on to (and using) my DSLR stuff.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I didn't mean P&S in a quality sense, just in a shooting sense. I more naturally shoot thru a viewfinder, and anything w/o one is a P&S, (view cameras excepted) in my book. That doesn't mean that they can't produce great photos, but what gets me with the NEX is that we have a very high end P&S that takes a different lens system than anything else, and once you move outside the pancake lens you lose the P&S compact-ability advantage.

Add to all that the fact that it's nearly as costly as a DSLR, and I'm scratching my head as to why it's so popular.

Dusty
alphaomega
Viceroy

Dusty, I am not keen on rear screen only viewing either and would much prefer to have a quality EVF as well. I use a ClearViewer with my NEX5 - see my second set of images here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=5005
It works well and cost me $60.00 delivered. I only bought into NEX for portability and weight when out on foot for any length of time. If I photograph from my car and don't have to carry equipment for any length of time I am back on to my DSLRs. The NEX is also handy if you don't want to attract too much attention and you still are looking for DSLR quality. I have enough DSLR lenses and cameras so my investments will go into expanding my NEX lens inventory and invest in a NEX-7 if it also has EVF and can outperform my NEX-5 substantially.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Dusty wrote:I didn't mean P&S in a quality sense, just in a shooting sense. I more naturally shoot thru a viewfinder, and anything w/o one is a P&S, (view cameras excepted) in my book. That doesn't mean that they can't produce great photos, but what gets me with the NEX is that we have a very high end P&S that takes a different lens system than anything else, and once you move outside the pancake lens you lose the P&S compact-ability advantage.
If you want a $250 10x zoom p&s, get an hx5v. If you want higher quality, get somethin with a larger sensor. The Nex is different enough from the typical compact.

As for size, the 18-55 is still not bad - it feels like half the size and weight of my DSLR setup. I can take it places more easily, so it hardly is just as bad as a DSLR. I can put it (barely!) into khaki or jacket pockets. A slightly smaller lens might be perfect.

But I noticed years ago that anything but a dslr was typically called a P&S and moreso just to imply that everything non-dslr was sub-standard. it's a bit unfair to lump them into one category.
Add to all that the fact that it's nearly as costly as a DSLR, and I'm scratching my head as to why it's so popular.

Dusty
It doesn't need to appeal to everyone. For me, it's simple - I didn't get a DSLR because I enjoyed the bulk, I did it because I loved the IQ. Now I can get better IQ in a smaller package. What's not to like? Lack of a VF? I can live with that. CDAF? It's not too bad, but in some situations, I'm sure PDAF would be better. In most use, there's not muchdifference, I don't think. Maybe if I did a lot with sports, I'd notice it more.

But picture IQ... Wow, it has been a real step up from my DSLR. And better high ISO makes the smaller lenses more feasible. And finally, I hink people are sometimes intimidated with a big DSLR.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

alphaomega wrote:...
Don't really need it but I will probably not be able to resist the urge as this could be the ultimate camera marrying small size with giant capability. I can imagine that the lens choice will increase as Tamron, Sigma and CZ join in with E lenses that can AF with NEX. Only thing that may make me hesitate a while is if there is a NEX coming out later with phase detection in a capable sensor http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-dis ... -detecion/
Interesting times ahead for the Sony adherence crowd. Might be too early for the restless to migrate (except for those absolutely needing 100% live and on time OVF viewing).
Personally, I don't see myself getting another camera for a while. What I need are lenses. :-) But I wouldn't blame someone for wanting an upgrade; I just am a bit frugal.

24mp? I hardly know what to do with 14mp. But the PDAF on the sensor seems really worthwhile. Between that and an EVF, what will be the arguments against it? Not bulky enough? ;-)
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I have found the NEX5 to be a revelation as well as a revolution.

For me there are presently three main USPs.

Firstly, it takes, with now widely available adapters, lots of my other lenses, notably Minolta MD, Leica M and Voigtlander VM; I'm not really interested in using A-mount lenses on this body as they are mainly too big (apart from honourable exceptions of Minolta 50/3.5 macro and 135/2.8 ) and, in any case, won't auto-focus apart from SAM and SSM, so what's the point? I have the a700 and a900 for these but they are too bulky to travel with.

Secondly, it's light as a feather, built like a tank and much smaller than my Leica M8 (which is beginning to look like history, except every time I sell any Leica kit I regret it because it keeps on rising in value - maybe not digital cameras, though).

Thirdly, it has an APS-C sensor! This is a big deal for me and a decisive one compared with the M4/3 system

I am really thrilled to be able to use my old MC/MD lenses because not only are they very compact (the primes) but brilliant optics too - I remember in their day they were regular spoken of in almost the same breath as Zeiss and Leica glass. And I'm also delighted to get back to MF, which is vastly easier for my ageing eyes on the NEX, with its clever 7x and 14x previews, which will be even better after FW4.0, than split screen RFs (sadly, another reason to sell the M8).

And, for me, MF is sooo much more involving than AF. Indeed, the care needed takes me back to the days when we actually composed pictures carefully because we had not become used to the promiscuity that cost-free digital photography encourages. Its also considerably more accurate than AF!

Downsides? Sure! I really don't like LCD screens, even if they do tilt. At least this one is usable, just about. Roll on the EVF, hopefully as an add on for the NEX5 as well as the NEX7.

And yes, it's noisy (sound-wise, not image-wise) and slowish - but that doesn't bother me because I'm not a sports or wild-life photographer but I doubt that this camera will in any case find much favour for such photographers because long lenses are inappropriate for this camera ( too big and too heavy but physics requires that) - they will stay with DSLR.

But for travel, its pretty much ideal.

Remember Leica once said it was impossible to do digital RF? Then they managed to do a 1.3x and then FF? Well I bet Sony will have a 24 plus mp FF NEXn within 18 months and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened before the end of the year.

What a travel camera that will be!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:Downsides? Sure! I really don't like LCD screens, even if they do tilt. At least this one is usable, just about. Roll on the EVF, hopefully as an add on for the NEX5 as well as the NEX7.
Did you see the following thread? Until I saw that homemade EVF I wasn't too interested in NEX, but now I am considering it.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=5180
artington wrote: But for travel, its pretty much ideal.
That really depends on what kind of travel photography you do. I like to travel and photograph and a NEX might make a nice second camera, but wouldn't work well for most of my photography while traveling. I do wish for smaller and lighter gear though and things are better, in general, than they were in earlier decades. In the next few years I am hopeful that it will get even better. Photos are here:

http://www.bakubo.com
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Yes, I did but I'm nt really into home made gear; rather wait for the real deal - don't imagine I'll have to wait long, absent quake related supply disruptions.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:Yes, I did but I'm nt really into home made gear; rather wait for the real deal - don't imagine I'll have to wait long, absent quake related supply disruptions.
I hear you. It has only been a bit over a year since the NEX came out on 2010/5/11 so the wait probably won't be too much longer.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I have a Nex 'viewfinder' workaround that works really well for me. I simply put the camera close to my face so that my right eye FOV is almost completely covered by the LCD screen, and the rear side of my left palm then rests on the left side of my face.
I sure cannot focus my eye so close to the screen, but I still can compose quite comfortably with such a defocused view.
The trick works only with AF, though...
alphaomega
Viceroy

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-two- ... 77-sensor/
So the rumour is now launch of Nex-7 and A77 late August and the NEX-7 may look a little like the Minolta A2. I used to think that 24Mp sensor was not for me. Too big for my requirements. Somehow I have had a bit of a re-think. If the lenses can do justice to 24Mp and do better than uprating from 16Mp (A580) then I may now be interested. Reason? I think that somehow the larger sensor "extends" the lens reach. If I can manage with 14 or 16Mp (my NEX-5 and A580) then buying an A77 or NEX-7 will extend the lens reach by 50% or more at the long end if I crop to 16Mp for the end result. This would enable lighter and fewer lenses. Worth thinking about.
If it is true that the NEX-7 will resemble an A2 then it must have an inbuilt EVF. If AF and AE are both much improved over NEX-5 and lenses become available in greater numbers (and IQ good) I may just go for a NEX-7 in 2012. Time will show what this device can do (and not do).
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

tom power 53 wrote:
Sony ain't going to be your fathers camera but then we don't drive his old car either - or do you? :-)
No, but I wish I could have driven my friend's dad's old Ford GT40 or 426 Cobra.

tom