Rube Goldberg contraption for NEX

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Rube Goldberg contraption for NEX

Unread post by bakubo »

NEX users might find this guy's Rube Goldberg contraption of interest:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=38139127

It looks like it would work pretty well and sort of makes me a bit more interested in the NEX.
Last edited by bakubo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: NEX Rube Goldberg contraption

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is someone else's idea about trying to get an EVF on NEX:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=38143093

This one just seems way too big and awkward to me though. If the camera is mounted on a tripod then it would be okay though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Rube Goldberg contraption for NEX

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is someone else who has found yet another way to sort of get an EVF:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=38155287
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Henry, I have this feeling that you're up to buy a NEX for you... :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

All interesting solutions, but they do seem a bit clunky. They wouldn't get me to buy a Nex, but I think if I owned one then I would consider these as options. It is interesting to have a coimpletely modular camera were you start with a sensor and basic controls and then add to it from there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Henry, I have this feeling that you're up to buy a NEX for you... :roll:
Well, from the beginning I have wanted one -- if it had an EVF. Small size is the attractive thing for me along with the APS-C sensor. Being able to mount all kinds of old lenses isn't that important to me, but still cool. The only old lens I still have that might be interesting to use on it is my old Minolta 50mm f1.4 MC. Too bad there is no IBIS, but I know that would have made the body a bit thicker. Still, I am not sure how much thicker it would have been. Maybe 5mm? I keep watching to see if anyone comes up with a reasonable EVF workaround. The first one I posted seems to be the most promising so far since it collapses and is small. One guy reported that he received the hood a day or two ago and within an hour or so it was already broken though. The company is sending him a new one. He said it is very flimsy plastic.

Even if Sony decides to come out with an accessory EVF (ala Olympus and Panasonic) it will probably be a big, ugly wart that catches on everything and make it difficult or impossible to just put the camera in a pocket. Yes, I am still wishing for a new pocket camera. :)

I wonder if Sony is going to come out with any more lenses for NEX? It has been a long time since the earlier stuff came out. The 16mm is nice, but I can't see that as a lens to use all the time. I am familiar with the 24mm fov since I have used it for 20 years and for a general use pocket camera it is just too wide for me. Maybe a 24mm (36mm fov) pancake lens would work out okay. With the old pocket digicam I have now I take most photos at the 35mm fov setting of the zoom.

Yes, Doc, I am trying to figure out a way to make the NEX work for me. :) Probably I will just have to wait to see if Sony addresses things with a new model and new lenses though.