MD to E-Mount and A-Mount Adapters

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
artington
Imperial Ambassador

MD to E-Mount and A-Mount Adapters

Unread post by artington »

Having been focused elsewhere for a while the NEX system passed me by so I hadn't appreciated the virtues of the E-mount until recently. As a long-time owner of several fine old Rokkor MC and MD lenses, including the famed 58/1.2 and 85/1.7, it is a thrill to read that I can now use them digitally (and I see from some comments here that it is also now possible to do so with the A-mount but that too had passed me by). Having tried out the various focusing options on the NEX with the 16-55 kit lens I am delighted to say that I actually find the MF mode the best one in use thanks to the excellent MF assist - certainly much easier than the focusing on my old SRT 101-b, so this should not be an issue.

I have seen David's video, which was tantalising, but on attempting to seek out suitable adapters I am bewildered by the sheer range on eBay, most if not all of which appear to be made in China (and probably identical) and in a wide band of (cheapish) prices to boot.

Rather than take pot luck I thought I'd check out views here for a suitably reliable choice of MD to E-mount and also MD to A-mount which do not have issues with infinity focusing (I am not clear whether the offenders focus short or long of infinity - clearly the latter would be easy to fix, unlike the former) and which are solidly made. I am aware that Rayqual and Novoflex are well regarded but they are rather expensive and Rayqual is hard to source in the UK. Kipon seems to be mentioned by some although I am not clear that it is any better than any others in the rump.

I should really appreciate it if anyone with experience here could point me in the right direction. Thank you.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: MD to E-Mount and A-Mount Adapters

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Best quality - Novoflex (German), Voigtlander (authorised by Sony, made by Cosina). Next best - Kipon, Hama, and Russian or Ukrainian made adaptors. Next best - generic adaptors from Hong Kong or China.

The differences are partly cosmetic, and I have a cheap Chinese one for MD. It works fine, it looks a bad match to both the camera and lenses (it is designed like a 1960s Steinheil screw thread lens with milled bright alloy revealed through black coating). More expensive ones will be a bit smoother in operation and look better, that's all. There are no mechanical linkages involved.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I got my first adapter from a "shamino123" (eBay seller). It doesn't allow me to focus to the infinite and, actually, I can not focus farther than 5 meters with a wide angle lens. Seller didn't answer to my request, so i have a useless adapter on a shelf...

I got my second adapter from "gobido.cn" and it works perfectly. I was tempted to buy a tilt adapter but the only one I found from "sm-camera" for Minolta MD have a piece of glass on it "to help rectify infinity focus." so I didn't bought it.

Results are quite good with this old lenses, I'm really happy with it. i was thinking about the e-mount Zeiss 24mm that Sony shown as mockup, but if the price is to high, I'll stick with my Minolta MD 24mm f2.8.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks, David and Paco. I had actually ordered an adapter for Leica M to NEX - a Metabones, MIJ and seemingly well constructed but they don't do an MD to NEX so your replies are very helpful.

The adapter works well with a Summicron 50/2 but I thought I'd let others know that in order to use such adapters you need to set the camera to allow shutter release without a lens attached as it does not recognise this type of combination - clearly this would not apply with the Sony Alpha adapter but I imagine it will with all others. It was not immediately clear to me so I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else has the same problem on first usage.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

As I have some rather good MD and MC lenses I decided to cough up for the Novoflex MD-E adapter and I'm pleased to say the build quality is excellent although not apparently better than the Leica M-E adapter made by Metabones, yet twice the price! That said, it works well and I am happy with it.

I thought I'd post a test shot taken with my MC-Rokkor PF 58/1.2 shot wide open (ISO400, 1/400 f/1.2) over a distance of about 1.5m.
I think the resolution is pretty impressive - note, I have applied no sharpening. Below is the original shot and a crop at 100%.
Attachments
Chair as shot.jpg
(208.64 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times
Chair as shot - 100%.jpg
(222.78 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

You will love the 58mm 1.2 on the NEX body. It is not just good for picture, but a killer for movie too. The focus ring of the lens is so smooth that it's perfect to create good atmosphere on film.

At F1.2, and the low noise generation of the Sony NEX sensor, it become the best lens for low light movie too.

At F8.0, I'm pretty sure this lens will not even be challenge by the new coming APS-C 24mpix sensor. The lens is sharp corner to corner on the Nex at this aperture. http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/image/1276 ... iginal.jpg

Enjoy :-).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )