NEX-5 zipwire ride video - our visit to Italy

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

NEX-5 zipwire ride video - our visit to Italy

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

On Sunday, after obtaining permission by email as visiting journalists (but paying for the ride, we didn't try to blag the place) Shirley and I did the return 'flights' of the longest zipwire ride in Europe (2.9km in the air, going up to 120km/h) the Volo dell'Angelo. It is between Matera (where we were based in the amazing hypermodern Hotel Nazionale, not the old historic sewer-smelling Sassi resorts) and Potenza, running between Pietrapertosa and Castelmezzano.

http://youtu.be/PVCVxNJirNQ

Once the 1080p video is fully processed, tomorrow, I'll do a main article page link on the site. It may take a while, not sure, to appear at full resolution (1GB video file).

You are not allowed to use cameras on this zipwire ride, other than hired helmet-mounted video of normal resolution and angle. We wanted to use the fisheye and ultrawide converters on the NEX with 16mm, and were able to explain this to the operators, and obtain clearance subject to their staff making sure our rig was safe. Originally the plan was to use a Sunsniper strap and the regular camera strap to position the NEX, but my bag for this trip (as usual) was the wonderful LowePro Sideline Shooter giant beltpacl/bumbag which is now discontinued (boo!). I realised that the top access zip with its corded pull tags could be used to make an exit point for the lens, keeping the camera inside the 'blimp' of the bag - meaning sound was possible (naked, the sound would have been impossible).

So the beltpack was strapped round my ribs, lens aimed more or less forwards, and they agreed we could do it. I think it's the only HD1080 video made by a 'rider' on this zipwire - anything else has been TV crew stuff etc.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: NEX-5 zipwire ride video - our visit to Italy

Unread post by Birma »

Wow DK :shock: pretty exciting looking 'flight' . Landing looked like you had to stop pretty quickly. Fantastic views.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Very impressive!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Here's the HD link:

http://youtu.be/PVCVxNJirNQ?hd=1

My only error was to let Shirley follow immediately after me - I did not have time, each time, to get out of the helmet and jacket, and be ready to shoot her 'touchdown' though I tried twice. We should have said - someone else go after me, you come two flights later, or something like that. So we missed getting that.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

WOW and WOW David, exciting and amazing work you done :-).

Even on the laptop screen this movie give feeling with the fish eye lens and also the wide angle. I cannot wait to watch that on the Cinema screen in the basement tonight (probably try to watch it with the little Evan).

This is a very good publicity for the place, because now, I have to put that on my list to visit when I will have the possibility to be not for far from this place.

I'm surprised that there is not too much vibration effect on the movie, have you use a anti-shaking filter on the post processing or it is because the position in the human hang system on the wire has provide enough stability.

With this kind of view and detail, this is where the limited bandwidth of the recording power the camera can affect compression effect on the tree in the ground, I think the cloud sky has help to limit a little the effect. I have done a movie taking the NEX camera about 10 inches from the water level on a speedboat the result is near unusable because the compression algorithm was not able to follow all the detail in the time lapse.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Frank - no stabilisation, nor any processing to remove jitter. I guess being padded inside the bag, and strapped round me and the 'cradle' you ride in, cushioned some of the high frequency vibration which can be felt.

I think the first section (fisheye) was shot using A as the setting and may have had a fairly 'normal' video shutter speed as the lens was stopped down a fair amount. For the second ride I switched the camera to P, which on the NEX produces a high shutter speed for video (which of course video makers don't like as it gives less of a cinematic effect). But it handles this sort of speed well. I am not entirely sure about this, I'm only going on what the camera displayed when I press the Movie button.

David
Kenneth Sky
Acolyte

Unread post by Kenneth Sky »

David,
Thanks for an exciting use of the NEX. Can you show us the actual setup in the bag and of course mounted on your spectacular torso? BTW, could it have been strapped to the helmet?
Ken
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

That is so cool! I just watched the HD version. I want to do it! Looks like it was the perfect time of year with everything so green.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Ken, I have decided against showing the rig in case anyone tries to copy it and turn up expecting to be allowed to use it. It's very simple and any large enough belt-bag could be adapted by cutting a hole for the lens (say in the top of a cheap vinyl one). Just look on line for the LowePro Sideline Shooter and you will see its shape and size (bigger than needed) and also that it has a top access zip. The staff actually wanted to see how I had secured the zip tags to prevent this unzipping from wind pressure. Once I showed them the cords tying the two zip tags together, they were happy.

This morning I was about to set up in the studio to show the rig but I won't do so with this article. However, it could also be used when motorcycling/cycling, rafting or canoeing (etc) and I may revisit this. The Sideline Shooter has, inexplicably, been discontinued by LowePro. This bag has been my travel companion now for many years. It will actually hold my Alpha 900 with 24-85mm, plus 70-300mm and 12-24mm either side. It doesn't look big enough but it's just a very efficient design.

There is no way at all the NEX could have been helmet mounted without making an expensive custom cradle, it could well be light enough but it's much bigger than the tiny all-plastic helmet camera you can hire to make very small size, poor quality videos.

David
Dave Russell
Acolyte

Unread post by Dave Russell »

What a spectacularly innovative way to show off the video prowess of the Nex 5.
That must have been a brilliant experience for you both :shock:

Where did the idea for that come from, had you been there before?

I showed the video clip to my daughter Jayne, her words, Wow...that looks so cool I would love a go on that. Then she went on to say that she was more immpressed by your composition and playing as she plays guitar also. She says to tell you, you are very good :)

So a big thank you to you both :D

Davy.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Shirley saw the ride on 'Coach Trip' TV programme - but also saw the Sassi of Matera - and we decided to go to this area on the basis of what the TV show was able to do.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Great video, David! Now it's on my list of "Yeah, someday when I strike it rich...." ( I just have to find the next internet craze - or build a better mousetrap!)

Dusty
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Exciting trip! Btw I googled the volo dell'angelo and you're now on their homepage! :mrgreen: