Observation and comment on the NEX-C3

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

Observation and comment on the NEX-C3

Unread post by InTheSky »

Well, it is official now :-).

For the moment, I'm really impress by the size, but again deception for the movie resolution.

The memory card slot is a good Idea, and instead some comment, I don't move anymore my SD from the camera, so it is not a problem for me if the card is too close than the tripod mount (thanks to Sony keeping the mount in the center of the lens).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
InTheSky
Viceroy

FULL REVIEW already there ...

Frank
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Observation and comment on the NEX-C3

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Got to say that for this and the A35 I'm not especially excited. I think I'll be writing along the lines of - time to wait for the next launch date if you want the real stuff.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

This is a way for Sony to make profitable the 16MP sensor until they stop the production. I think it is the A35 that is missing more, because it is a A55 with less feature. With this powerful live view, it is a ridiculous choice not having put flip or twisted LCD. (to do macro work ... or movie, I think people will have to invest in a external LCD ... and you reach the price of the A55 if you are doing that)

But the Nex-C3, for those who was looking to buy a Nex-3 is a reasonable upgrade (smaller and little bit sensor resolution). But for video lover like me ... people will have to stay with the Nex-5 until the replacement.

Frank
Frank
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

David Kilpatrick commented on Sony release today
Got to say that for this and the A35 I'm not especially excited. I think I'll be writing along the lines of - time to wait for the next launch date if you want the real stuff.
Just my thoughts. I might have considered the NEX-C3 if reasonably priced as body only, but not available in that configuration.
The A35 leaves me wondering what Sony are thinking not offering a movable rear LCD. I will also wait for the next launch date.
I am re-evaluating my future strategy. I may just stay with my NEX-5 with 16mm pancake, W/A converter and 18-55mm and buy instead the A55 successor whenever that arrives. The weight/size penalty of using A55 successor with say the new Tamron 18-270 compared with NEX-5 with E-mount 18-200 will be marginal and I can get a subsidy towards the camera from the saving on the zoom. In any event I already have the Sony 18-250 and that is performing well. I wish somebody would provide a light and small quality 18-200 zoom for the NEX system or even better a 16-120 or thereabouts.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Regardless of rumors, I will wait for the real specifications of a77.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Waiting for a NEX7 with SEL16-80 - or even just the lens to complement my NEX5.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I am amazed how much smaller it is than the Nex 3 and 5. I am also amazed at how, in my mind, it makes the older models look clunky and old fashioned (from a whole 12 months ago!). I am obvioulsy just a fickle follower of the latest fashions in design :o .

The firmware updates look very promising, especially the focus assist.

Can't believe the 'huge' macro lens - bit disappointing how slowly the Nex lenses are coming out.

Most important thing for me is that this beautiful small object of desire drives down the price of Nex 3s and 5s 8)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Birma wrote:Most important thing for me is that this beautiful small object of desire drives down the price of Nex 3s and 5s 8)
That's what I would be hoping.

If the NEX-5 sees a reasonable discount it might be enough for me to get one. I very nearly bought an Olympus Pen F 38/1.8 lens in anticipation! :lol:

I was able to play for about 20 minutes (unmolested by sales staff) with both the 3 & 5 at Sydney International Airport last week. I didn't like the 3 but loved the 5 in terms of size and handling.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That excellent 16 MP sensor goes a long way towards getting my attention. I was not impressed by last year's 14 MP CMOS, as its output was almost indiscernible from that of my A700, but the new sensor is so impressive as to almost make up for the fact that the system has almost zero worthwhile flash support. What it really can't make up for is the fact that the system doesn't have any lenses that interest me without considering adapters.

Now when that intended CZ lens comes along, maybe I wouldn't mind sticking a 16 MP sensor on the back end of that!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

NEX might grab my attention if:

Sony add a nice range of "good" pancake primes decent quality/cost ratio
They make a "somewhat" higher up body that has appeal to enthusiasts.

Despite my criticisms of NEX it does have a lot of potential if they can iron things out and enhance the product it could be worth a look.
In it's current form the C3 doesn't really grab me much. Yes the 16mp sensor is nice but more to a camera than a sensor on it's own.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a pretty good user report on the C3:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... port.shtml
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Do you think there is a strategy behind not providing too much small prime lens to force people starting using adapter and recycling there good Leica and other historical good and small prime designed for range finder ?

Regards,

Frank
Frank
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

InTheSky wrote:Do you think there is a strategy behind not providing too much small prime lens to force people starting using adapter and recycling there good Leica and other historical good and small prime designed for range finder ?

Frank
No, Sony thought the adapter phenomenon would help sales, but they still want all they can get from lens sales. Like every company, they're in it no make a few buck - or yen!

Dusty
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this sneak preview of the peaking foucs. It's sweet. The coolest part is, the areas that are in focus highlight in red...
http://vimeo.com/24821210