For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
OneGuyKs

Peaking

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Peaking

Unread post by Javelin »

well illustrated. I got to use Sony's new screen on my A700 when I was using my bellows. it can only show peaking after the shot is taken but it's hugely usefull tool for macro. especially in high magnification shots and such a shallow DOF. the direction the DOF extends is unpredictable and it's very interesting to see.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Javelin wrote:well illustrated. I got to use Sony's new screen on my A700 when I was using my bellows. it can only show peaking after the shot is taken but it's hugely usefull tool for macro. especially in high magnification shots and such a shallow DOF. the direction the DOF extends is unpredictable and it's very interesting to see.
That is very interesting Javelin. I woul have assumed that the camera's processor would need to determine where to show the peaking. If the screen attachment can do it then, as you say, this makes it a very interesting proposition for macro on the A700.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Nearly all the higher-end video monitors have built in peaking. Marshall, etc. The cheap Lilliput which I use does not show peaking on its own (as far as I am aware) but will show the camera-generated peaking when attached to the NEX. It sounds as if the Sony 5" monitor incorporates peaking from any source, which makes it an extremely valuable device for all kinds of digital SLRs with live manual focus and HDMI output.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Can't wait to retest my MDs once I have the peaking, it sounds like a great feature!
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

There's one bad caveat with Nex5/3 and a55/33 cams. Their live view HDMI feed is actually half-res 960x540 dumbly upscaled to 1920x1080. So all the external peaking is too rough, at best.
They all only deliver real FullHD through their mini-HDMI socket at playback of stills, not even at video playback.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

agorabasta wrote:There's one bad caveat with Nex5/3 and a55/33 cams. Their live view HDMI feed is actually half-res 960x540 dumbly upscaled to 1920x1080. So all the external peaking is too rough, at best.
They all only deliver real FullHD through their mini-HDMI socket at playback of stills, not even at video playback.
Another great Sony trait: "Let's come up with a good idea, and then implement it badly!"

Dusty