LA-EA2

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
motor
Heirophant

LA-EA2

Unread post by motor »

Hey guys am I correct in reading that sony just announced a new nex converter called the LA-ea2 that will allow "ALL" A mount lenses to autofocus. They put a shutter in it. I might be out of the loop but I didn't read about this anywhere

Moater
motor
Heirophant

Re: LA-EA2

Unread post by motor »

Forget it I just found it on our main site. I somehow missed it. It still sounds really cool. Will there be a ghosting issue on long exposures or night shots? I have really gotten used to using the MF function but on the fly I might use AF. I have really gotten some cool results with the 11-16 tokina with the Nex5 and adapter shooting 3-6 second exposures of waterfalls.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

motor wrote:Forget it I just found it on our main site. I somehow missed it. It still sounds really cool. Will there be a ghosting issue on long exposures or night shots? I have really gotten used to using the MF function but on the fly I might use AF. I have really gotten some cool results with the 11-16 tokina with the Nex5 and adapter shooting 3-6 second exposures of waterfalls.
Don't be troubled from ghosting, it's NOT something you'll see routinely and as long as you don't pixel-peep... :wink:
As I have mentioned a couple of times previously in other threads, I've experienced ghosting on a non-SLT DSLR (a700) with one of my most used and loved lens (SAL50M28) .
Happy shooting :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I think the new adapter looks very interesting. I will be looking into getting one for my Nex 5. It will make a very adaptable (!), modular system.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I think the new adapter looks very interesting. I will be looking into getting one for my Nex 5. It will make a very adaptable (!), modular system.
Yes, the NEX 5N along with the new EVF accessory and this new A-mount lens adapter could be thought of as a very interesting modular camera. The 5N + EVF is not as sleek as the NEX 7, but for the times when you don't want or need the EVF you can take it off. Also, the accessory EVF might be more comfortable to use for those of us who use our left eye. The 5N also has the 16mp sensor which some might find preferable to the new 24mp sensor in the 7.

The 7 and the 5N (with EVF) both look rather attractive to me. I am looking forward to seeing them in the flesh somewhere. Not interested enough that I would likely order sight unseen though. Also, the prices are high enough (and I have an aversion to accumulating possessions just for the sake of having a new toy) means that like everything else I will decide whether I have enough real use for it before I would buy.

By the way, does the EVF also work with the 3C?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I found the LA-EA2 at Bristol Cameras UK at £285.00 delivered. I immediately ordered one. Since delivery I have had one day with a bit of sun. I fitted the adapter to my NEX-5 (updated with v.5) and placed my Sony 18-250 in front. I must say that I found it easy to hold the assembly placing the adapter in the palm of my left hand and operating the camera with my right hand. After first "switch on" I found that the NEX-5 subsequently switched on instantaneously when being set to on. The AF was as fast as when the lens was fitted to my A580 and I did not really notice the slight dimming that the translucent mirror was supposed to cause. No delay in firing the shutter either. I could not detect any deterioration in image quality compared with A580 output. So I am quite happy with the purchase as it enables me to use the 18-250 on my NEX-5 taking video and maintaining AF. The lack of VR is not a problem here as I will be using a tripod. I will get longer reach compared with an E-mount 18-200 at less than half the cost and increase the usability of my Alpha lenses. All in all this is a nifty device.
I had a quick look through the EVF of the A65 this morning in Jessops. For my purposes it will do and it just strengtens my desire to acquire the NEX-7 in the spring of 2012 (hopefully for no more than say £850 body only).
kaled_201299
Acolyte

Unread post by kaled_201299 »

I just bought a LA-EA2 so that I can use my A-mount lenses on my Nex-5. With 2 young children a lot of my photos are of them and a full size DSLR can be cumbersome to grab and go, and intimidating to them and those around. This was one of the reasons I bought the Nex-5, but the contrast detect AF just does not keep up with my kids playing.....
My first impression of the LA-EA2 is very positive. Fitted with the CZ 16-80, it is clearly a bigger lump than the kit lens, but the handling is really balanced and no one being photgraphed really notices the extra size. In my view, with the LA-EA2, the performance of the Nex is transformed with repect to AF and responsiveness. AF is fast and accurate (not quite as fast as my A77), but it certainly keeps up with moving human subjects. From a picture quality point of view, I simply don't feel I'm missing anything if I cannot take my A77 and have to rely on the Nex/16-80.
My only real headache is that focussing noise is an issue with non ssm lenses and movie mode and this also true of course with the A77 - I'll post in the lens section for thoughts on this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A77, 16-80mm CZ, 16-50mm SSM, 70-300mm G SSM, 50mm 1.7, F43AM, F20AM
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Kaled - welcome to the forum. Interesting feedback on the on LA-EA2. It is a tempting proposition - but I hope it comes down in price just a little bit soon :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I rather eschewed getting an LA adapter because of price and also the combined bulk when used with most A-mount lenses. However, I was tempted into buying the LA-EA1 at £125 from Purely Gadgets for use with my Minolta 50/3.5 macro and 135/2.8 because I am happyto focus each of these manually and they are small lenses. Of course, MF is pretty well de rigeur for a short range macro lens but is less straightforward for a tele, particularly one equivalent to 200mm on a 1.5x crop factor NEX. However, provided the aperture is around 5.6 - 8 the MF Assist through the EVF on the NEX7 allows for quick focusing to within a very acceptable focus range at all bar close distance. I wouldnt want to try it with a zoom, tbough, but then I think that A mount zooms are rather unwieldy on the NEX body anyway.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Welcome also to the forum kaled.

This adapter is in my wish list, but I'm also waiting for a price down. I have got the LA-EA1 at full price when it was announced and I will not do the error a second time (it was near that half the price on ebay a few weeks later ...).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )