Nikon 1 System

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Nikon 1 System

Unread post by agorabasta »

KevinBarrett wrote:I think that button probably unlocks the collapsing zoom. Notice that the zoom ring has focal length markings as well as an "L" marking.
That button is there on all the zoom lenses they announced, not on the collapsible only. That rubber ring may simply detach from the metal part with markings on the button press.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

DPReview wrote:The 10-30 and 30-100mm zooms, meanwhile, have locking buttons on the zoom ring to prevent you from retracting them accidentally. Unlocking the lens will also switch the camera on if the power has been turned off.
Ah ha! The button is depressed to enable the collapse of the lens from it's shortest focal length setting. But there's still no apparent focus ring except on the existing and proposed prime lenses.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

KevinBarrett wrote: But there's still no apparent focus ring except on the existing and proposed prime lenses.
Looks like the dumbest design decision on their part...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

pakodominguez wrote:Help Thom: http://lanb.it/wy2h
http://bythom.com/
Question 1: Do you own a mirrorless camera? 2461 no, 639 yes. That's 21% of those surveyed owning a mirrorless camera. I'll bet that's a higher number than you expected.

Question 2: Which mirrorless camera do you own (assumes yes in first question)? 552 m4/3, 138 NEX, 16 NX, 6 X100, 12 other. Of the 21% that owned a mirrorless camera, 86% owned an m4/3 camera. Given that I've reviewed and covered the three major mirrorless cameras, that m4/3 number is a bit higher than I expected, but it could be readers mirroring my own preference at the moment.

Question 3: Will you buy the new Nikon 1? 2692 no, 408 yes. That's 13% yes. I suspect that's a higher number than you expected, too. It's significantly higher than the result on the Nikon Rumors poll, for instance. Given that we have serious photographers coming to my site and that the Nikon 1 is targeted at a different user, this is an eyebrow raising statistic. Yes, it could be somewhat jaundiced by my reporting of the Nikon 1, but based upon email and Google+ comments by poll takers, I'm not sure it is. (By the way Nikon, your choice of brand name is really, really bad. You can't effectively Google the term Nikon 1.)

Question 4: Which is the most compelling recent mirrorless camera? Hold onto your horses folks: 995 (32%) NEX 7, 802 (26%) Nikon 1 V1 model. Do I need to go further? The next best showing was the Olympus E-P3 at 385 (12%). Everything else (J1, E-PM1, E-PL3, GF-3, G3, GH2, NEX 3C, NEX 5N, NX200) was down in the single digits, and way down in the single digits, including the Nikon 1 J1 model (ugh, that name just grates).
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Pako,

There's one specific aspect of the Nikon system that we didn't really discuss here. It's the AF speed.

Personally, I think that the Nex is totally inadequate for any kind of action capture. Heck, you cannot even shoot a beer party with the Nex unless you simply flash that party really hard!

So if Nikon really delivers here, all the relatively small image quality imperfections of the new sys readily pale before the advantage of fast action capture capabilities.

So I'm not surprised a bit with Thom's results.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

agorabasta wrote:So if Nikon really delivers here, all the relatively small image quality imperfections of the new sys readily pale before the advantage of fast action capture capabilities.
Thom is missing the tiny little fact that in the burst modes, the AF locks. So his idea works only if you have static subjects. That's isn't a very good fast action capture solution.

Of course with the Depth of Field generated with this sensor and the announced lenses, it might not matter...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:Pako,

There's one specific aspect of the Nikon system that we didn't really discuss here. It's the AF speed.

Personally, I think that the Nex is totally inadequate for any kind of action capture. Heck, you cannot even shoot a beer party with the Nex unless you simply flash that party really hard!
I can say anything about because I only have the SEL16f2.8mand I don't use it that much... I mostly use manual focus lenses. I'm planning to buy the NEX7 with the Kit lens because I'm planning to use it for some events (I know some of my clients will get scary if they see me shooting with the NEX7, but for old clients that already know my work will be OK) at that time I'll be able to answer this.

What is interesting about this "dual AF system" is quoting Mr Hogan again "Phase detect sensor. Think DSLR. Think Nikon having their own sensors for half their DSLR lineup. Think Nikon getting rid of the mirror in future DSLRs. A better solution than Sony's, IMHO." So Nikon is testing solutions for their own EVF DSRL...
agorabasta wrote: So if Nikon really delivers here, all the relatively small image quality imperfections of the new sys readily pale before the advantage of fast action capture capabilities.

So I'm not surprised a bit with Thom's results.
I'm surprised because I expect that people that are mostly in accord with Mr Hogan, reading his blog and answer his poll. And Mr Hogan is not really fond on Sony, the SLT or the NEX system -He'd been making remarks specially about the 24MP, and about the other updates and "features" the NEX5n and NEX7 have. Even then 32% of his readers choose the NEX7 as the "most compelling recent mirrorless camera"...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

agorabasta wrote:Personally, I think that the Nex is totally inadequate for any kind of action capture. Heck, you cannot even shoot a beer party with the Nex unless you simply flash that party really hard!

So if Nikon really delivers here, all the relatively small image quality imperfections of the new sys readily pale before the advantage of fast action capture capabilities.
Thinking about this further, the V1 will have no advantage over the NEX-7 in this arena. Here's why. In order to use that F-mount lens that Thom talks about, you are going to have to use nikon's f-mount adapter. Well guess what, if you consider that if the LA-EA2 gives the NEX-7 continuous phase detect AF for A-mount lenses, and we are back to square 1 (no pun intended...)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Lonnie Utah wrote:
agorabasta wrote:Personally, I think that the Nex is totally inadequate for any kind of action capture. Heck, you cannot even shoot a beer party with the Nex unless you simply flash that party really hard!

Thinking about this further, the V1 will have no advantage over the NEX-7 in this arena. Here's why. In order to use that F-mount lens that Thom talks about, you are going to have to use nikon's f-mount adapter. Well guess what, if you consider that if the LA-EA2 gives the NEX-7 continuous phase detect AF for A-mount lenses, and we are back to square 1 (no pun intended...)
I don't think Agorabasta is comparing performance with the adapters, but with the dedicated lenses
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote: I'm surprised because I expect that people that are mostly in accord with Mr Hogan, reading his blog and answer his poll.
Mr. Hogan is renowned for creating a lot of hogwash 'info' out of the thin air. This way he tries to be 'controversial' aiming at attracting traffic to his site. And it adds quite a bit of lively idiocy. So 'an accord' with the readers is not his purpose at all, it would seem.
As a result, his readers are not only his admirers, but also his critics and haters. And I wouldn't guess who makes the majority...
agorabasta
Viceroy

Lonnie Utah wrote:Thom is missing the tiny little fact that in the burst modes, the AF locks.
It so does in the fastest mode only.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:
pakodominguez wrote: I'm surprised because I expect that people that are mostly in accord with Mr Hogan, reading his blog and answer his poll.
Mr. Hogan is renowned for creating a lot of hogwash 'info' out of the thin air. This way he tries to be 'controversial' aiming at attracting traffic to his site. And it adds quite a bit of lively idiocy. So 'an accord' with the readers is not his purpose at all, it would seem.
As a result, his readers are not only his admirers, but also his critics and haters. And I wouldn't guess who makes the majority...
Well, Mr Hogan (like many other bloggers) write for a public, and write what his public wants to read. Still, I can only understand his grippe with Sony unless Sony is eating more Nikon's than Canon's Market share.
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:Well, Mr Hogan (like many other bloggers) write for a public...
Sure. And I'm not one of them 'public' he writes for.
But I voted in the poll you've linked. And I bet you may readily guess all my answers :wink:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:Well, Mr Hogan (like many other bloggers) write for a public...
Sure. And I'm not one of them 'public' he writes for.
But I voted in the poll you've linked. And I bet you may readily guess all my answers :wink:
Are we buddies?
:-p
Yeah, but you and me together won't make 32% of 3000 voters.
Anyway. I guess I'll have the chance to see the NEX7 and the Nikon 1 (I already played with the Pentax Q the other day at the Adorama store) at the PhotoPlus Expo, late October, and I'll have a better idea about AF speed, etc.

BTW, another test on the Nikon 1 (in Spanish) including the 10mm pancake
http://www.dslrmagazine.com/pruebas/pru ... ensor.html
Pako
------------
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

For what I can see so far the Nikon looks a very good and interesting camera. Probably with killer lens like the one find in the LX5 it will be a no brainer for Panasonic user.

I would say the the real need to buy a NEX instead of the Nikon is the same for a A700 compare to a A900, it is a matter of what kind of photo you like. If you are deep of field addict ... the Nikon is really not for you. And probably you will buy a A900 dreaming of a medium format ...

Nikon has the ability to build fantastic lenses and I cannot wait to see what they will offer to serious user ... or probably they will stay with the stupid f3.5 and more for the moment and tell everybody that they can focus very fast... I'm sorry, but the challenge to have good focus subject on this kind of infinite deep of field is really not a challenge. When they will put a ultra wide angle on this camera, if they want to save cost they can even put a fix focus on it :-).

But for sure, I will have to tried the camera too. The body and the metal on it feel like you need to play with it.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )