Nikon V1 DXO score vs NEX....

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Nikon V1 DXO score vs NEX....

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

It should come as no surprise to anyone, the NEX wins handily.  
What jumped out at me is the HUGE iso advantage from the NEX-3c.  

If you care about IQ, get a NEX. If you need a fashion accessory, get a 1 series...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Nikon V1 DXO score vs NEX....

Unread post by alphaomega »

Got a NEX-5 and impressed, except for "slow" AF. Even the Nikon chap Thom admitted that NEX-5 beat competition on IQ. Forget about 4/3 and all the rest and focus on NEX for IQ. As far as I am concerned for my photography IQ is KING. Just need some more dedicated E-mount lenses. Thanks in advance.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Lonnie Utah wrote:It should come as no surprise to anyone, the NEX wins handily.  
What jumped out at me is the HUGE iso advantage from the NEX-3c.  

If you care about IQ, get a NEX. If you need a fashion accessory, get a 1 series...
I saw you post this on another web board, and boy did you touch some Nikonian nerves! (Is Nikonian the right word?)

I heard that it was going to be a small sensor a long time ago, and I still think it's an odd choice. It smacks of protecting the DSLR business unless they can make the cameras and lenses a lot less expensive. But they don't seem to be less expensive at all!
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Maybe we should wait for the One system to work out...and sometimes I wonder if DxO mark is that really close to reality. My a850 wins my a77 by a large margin in real world, in terms of image quality.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

From what little I can tell, they seem to be fairly accurate. I'm sure that if two cameras are within a couple of points of each other, it's within the error of measurement and/or perception, but for big number differences, yeah, I think they do a good job. Some of the numbers you have to pay attention to what they're really saying. For instance, with measuring SNR, they have separate numbers to get a more apples-to-apples comparison between cameras of different pixel counts.

The fact that the 1 compare so well to m43 makes me wonder, though, what is going on there. Superior Sony sensor? Nikon processing?

The bottom-line for me is that, all else being equal, larger sensor wins. But if the IQ of a smaller sensor is good enough for the intended purpose, then it might be worth the compromise in IQ for portability. I won't deny that the 1 series could be a good "bridge" system, but wish it was at a more reasonable price point.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

No Sony sensor in the One..
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

This new Nikon is still a interesting camera to bring in your pocket. I'm impress by the good result this tiny sensor is capable of.

This quality image from the camera remember good time I had with my old Canon S45.

There is a lot of not so expensive C-Mount lens on ebay (but this as already started to change on popularity ...). So people interest on playing with cery tiny good F1.2 prime will be able to get small subject isolation experience.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You are right no shocks there.
But didn't they rate the A900 at 1431 rating for low light.
I find that puzzling to say the least.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

InTheSky wrote:This new Nikon is still a interesting camera to bring in your pocket. I'm impress by the good result this tiny sensor is capable of.
Image quality is good (for what it is) but what is really impresive is the AF system: it is REALLY fast an accurate. I hope Sony will catch up with this Nikons on AF speed....
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;