Nex7 noise performance is simply fabulous

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Nex7 noise performance is simply fabulous

Unread post by alphaomega »

I bought the SEL55210 and it is a v. good lens. Not good for the kind of video I like to record, so I have resolved to purchase that LA-EA2 converter for my NEX-5 when the firmware update becomes available. I plan to use it with my Sony SAL18250. That lens is just ideal for my purposes and using the NEX-5 instead of my A580 will provide for full AF. Just release the firmware update Sony.
I am really in a quandary over my next camera. Fortunately I don't actually need one. I thought I would buy the NEX-7 but then I read the comments about the noise at higher ISOs. Then the noise if as good as the NEX-5N as long as you downsample, but you get better detail. Then the 18-50 F2.8 lens is not as good at the 18-55 (my 18-55 copy is V. good). No it is good. I will simply buy the LA-EA2 when the firmware is available and sit back until the spring as in any event the NEX-7 will be in short supply anyway until then. I want to know how good the images are when taken through the 16mm pancake, 18-55 and 55-210 zooms with that NEX-7. I would also like to see a quality wide angle zoom for the NEX system.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I imagine that most of us, as enthusiasts, had our appetites well and truly whetted by the August Sony announcements. Ironically it has been the apparent gem of the bunch, the Nex-7, which has been most affected by the Thai floods and the unsatisfied desire is palpable, as is the list of questions unanswered by the reviews that have appeared so far. For example, will it's flash trigger other Sony flashguns wirelessly? (I'd be interested in the answer to that one!) How does IQ compare with the Nex-5N? And so on. Questions which could be resolved instantly with hands-on experience. So the appetite remains unassuaged and people start to look elsewhere to the new cameras which are available. Maybe the Nex-5N with the EVF accessory would be better? But no flash! Or the A77, now my a700 has gone and I really need an APS-C alpha mount? Of course it's an ill wind,etc, and maybe Sony has avoided having sales of the A77 cannibalised by the delayed availability of the Nex-7, which on balance still seems to me to be the most desirable all-round solution when partnered with the LA-EA2.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

A full 'System' would be an a77+Nex7+EA2. Only then all bases are covered.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

A full 'System' would be an a77+Nex7+EA2. Only then all bases are covered.
For my purposes I still think my second NEX would be the NEX-7 next spring and then I would maintain I am fully covered with my NEX-7 (and back-up NEX-5) plus A580 (and back-up A550). I see no need to add the A77 however good it may turn out be when all problems are ironed out. I am impressed by the NEX-7 upper ISO noise performance v. the A77 for whatever reason. I am resolved to purchasing the LA-EA2 converter when the firmware becomes available. That will be it until a decent E type wide angle zoom becomes available. A compact quality 12-24mm (18-36mm) will do me fine.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

artington wrote:For example, will it's flash trigger other Sony flashguns wirelessly? (I'd be interested in the answer to that one!)
Yes, but not with the on-board flash. What is not clear yet is if the HVL-F20AM can be use as controller (Rep told me yes, but Brochure doesn't mention it...)
artington wrote:How does IQ compare with the Nex-5N?
At low Iso, I don't think you'll find a big difference. Apparently, the 16MP Sensor on the NEX-5N have an edge on anything else on the market now...
artington wrote:So the appetite remains unassuaged and people start to look elsewhere to the new cameras which are available. Maybe the Nex-5N with the EVF accessory would be better? But no flash!
Not me. I'm just waiting for the NEX7, that is the camera that fill my needs.
artington wrote:and maybe Sony has avoided having sales of the A77 cannibalised by the delayed availability of the Nex-7, which on balance still seems to me to be the most desirable all-round solution when partnered with the LA-EA2.
I understand your anxiety, but I have to say that you "conspiracy theory" about the delay in distribution of the NEX7 is plain silly. Sony must be suffering seen how the holiday season is approaching and they can not sell the camera they know will be a Hit....

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

pakodominguez wrote:
artington wrote:For example, will it's flash trigger other Sony flashguns wirelessly? (I'd be interested in the answer to that one!)
Yes, but not with the on-board flash. What is not clear yet is if the HVL-F20AM can be use as controller (Rep told me yes, but Brochure doesn't mention it...).
A contributor to one of the dpreview forums was quite categorical that it does with the HVL-F20AM. I had hoped the onboard flash did too but clearly it doesn't
Last edited by artington on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

artington wrote: and maybe Sony has avoided having sales of the A77 cannibalised by the delayed availability of the Nex-7, which on balance still seems to me to be the most desirable all-round solution when partnered with the LA-EA2.
pakodominguez wrote: I understand your anxiety, but I have to say that you "conspiracy theory" about the delay in distribution of the NEX7 is plain silly.
No anxiety nor conspiracy theory. Don't understand why you interpret my comment in that way - it was merely a surmise as to how things might otherwise have panned out, not a suggestion that it was deliberate. Now that would be silly!
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

The November 19th issue of the British magazine "Amateur Photographer" has a rave review of the NEX-7. They give it a 90%. Not much gets above 80% with them...
They rate it as "Not as good as an M9" but as a close competitor! Praise indeed!
I better get saving :lol:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
artington
Imperial Ambassador

It must be a challenge reviewing a camera such as this, where the camera's abilities possibly exceed that of the bundled lens by a large margin. This will clearly be reflected in resolution tests although to be fair those shown were taken at roughly mid-zoom range and f/8, the 18-55 lens's sweet spot. However, the resolution images shown for raw are a joke with colour noise apparently evident throughout the ISO range, which cannot be correct. Since the review claims that there are no 3rd party raw converters available this review was either written some months ago (possibly with pp firmware) or he is just poorly informed. Either way, the raw conversion looks dreadful. The review's author also expounds on the camera's SSI sensor stabilisation which, of course, it does not have! So not awfully helpful really.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Well whatever, I just thought it was nice to hear something nice about Sony!
As an aside I also hear they have re-started production at the Car-Stereo Plant in Thailand!
Naughty! But if you must! :twisted:
http://storemags.com/amateur-photograph ... r-2011-uk/

Take this off if it breaks any rules David! :shock:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

The Spanish webzine quesabesde.com just published a short review with samples of the NEX7 with 18-55 and 24 f1.8. If you can not understand Spanish, Quesabesde.com call the NEX7 "the new reference" for the mirrorless market -and i take this seriously from them because Quesabesde.com have a strong relationship (and bias) with Olympus and in the past they shown their preference for the m4/3.

In any case, you can find some interesting hi ISO samples (1600 ISO looks very clean...)

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/sony ... ras,1_8158
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Pako, there are two comments - first: the boyz need to focus their 'real-world' 24/16Mp comparison shots better, OOF Nex7 can't win even in raw despite better noise performance; second: the Nex5N definitely produces much better JPEGs and much better ready for use they are while the 7 gets the same smeary JPEG mess as the a77 cousin does.

That review could be much better if done properly.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:Pako, there are two comments - first: the boyz need to focus their 'real-world' 24/16Mp comparison shots better, OOF Nex7 can't win even in raw despite better noise performance; second: the Nex5N definitely produces much better JPEGs and much better ready for use they are while the 7 gets the same smeary JPEG mess as the a77 cousin does.

IMHO, what is interesting are some sample shots. And the fact this people that used to cherish for Olympus are now recon "who rules". For the rest, it is just another review...
Pako
------------
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

pakodominguez wrote:
agorabasta wrote:Pako, there are two comments - first: the boyz need to focus their 'real-world' 24/16Mp comparison shots better, OOF Nex7 can't win even in raw despite better noise performance; second: the Nex5N definitely produces much better JPEGs and much better ready for use they are while the 7 gets the same smeary JPEG mess as the a77 cousin does.

IMHO, what is interesting are some sample shots. And the fact this people that used to cherish for Olympus are now recon "who rules". For the rest, it is just another review...
It's probably a good time for them to jump off the Olympus train. :lol:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

douglasf13 wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:

It's probably a good time for them to jump off the Olympus train. :lol:
Definitely: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/busin ... all?src=tp
Pako
------------