NEX 7 and Adaptors

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

NEX 7 and Adaptors

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hi David,

Do most stores carry adaptors for the NEX 7? In other words, if I wanted to get a Nikon adaptor - how where would I get one?

Thanks
Dave
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: NEX 7 and Adaptors

Unread post by peterottaway »

I suspect that only the superstores would be carrying a stock of adapters and only those that are actually aware that Sony are in the camera business. :D

Perhaps looking up Adorama and B & H on the internet would be the place to start. For Nikon it Will simply be a matter of which one to buy, I'm conservative so I would be starting with Novoflex or Voigtlander ( Cosina ).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

deathvalleydave wrote:Hi David,

Do most stores carry adaptors for the NEX 7? In other words, if I wanted to get a Nikon adaptor - how where would I get one?

Thanks
Dave
eBay is your best friend...
Fotodiox (http://www.fotodiox.com/advanced_search ... er&x=0&y=0) also.
Adorama or B&H sell mostly "premium" adpaters for premium prices...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

B&H keep a lot but they tend to be the most expensive ones like Novoflex.

I buy through eBay!

David
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Re: NEX 7 and NEX lenses

Okay, I just ordered the NEX 7 and kit lens. I sold all my A900 gear. If I want to match the A900 with CZ 24-70, and use existing NEX lenses - is it worth the $1,000 to get the CZ 24 1.8?

Lastly, if you get the alphamount adaptor for NEX, does it have the translucent mirror? Or can you use alpha lenses without the autofocusing mirror, i.e. with the NEX 7's CDAF?

One of the main reasons I'm making the switch to NEX and not going D800 - is because I think I'm getting tired of lugging around 5 pound dslr's, and I reasoned things out that maybe the NEX 7 is the closest thing to almost match the IQ.

I'm a bit sad I sold all the A900 gear, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this NEX 7 can do! Maybe the A900's successors won't continue the A900's tradition, but if I like the NEX 7, maybe its successors will only build upon and get better... If anyone can provide any positive input on the NEX 7 - and even it used with the 18-55 kit...

I saw some people on dpreview post fine samples used with the kit lens. I went out last weekend with my Cybershot 16mp HX1 I think it is, and it's fun to use and has good IQ at fit to screen - I'm just wondering where this NEX 7 falls inbetween it and the A900?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The NEX-7 can exceed the A900 in almost every way if you are shooting under control. I seriously suggest you get the 16mm f/2.8 and do not be put off by reports of it being a bad lens. It's not. One of my magazine clients (f2, my old magazine) used one of my NEX-5n 16mm shots at f/8 as a double page spread this month. There is no part of the image at f/8 which is not perfect in the plane of focus.

If you get the original Alpha mount adaptor, LA-EA1, it used no mirror, CDAF, and it's cheap. It only will do AF with SSM/SAM lenses though.

David
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Re: NEX 7 and Auto Focus with Nikon Lenses

Hi David,

If I got the adapter to use Nikon FX lenses, do they auto focus with the NEX 7?

Just curious, in general if the NEX 7's CDAF works with any lens attached, or most, etc.

Thanks,
Dave
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Only with the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 ( any Minolta or Sony AF lens ) adapters will auto focus with the Nex cameras. The other adapters are mostly manual exposure and manual focus although some will work in aperture priority auto exposure, you'll need to check.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

David Kilpatrick wrote:... I seriously suggest you get the 16mm f/2.8 and do not be put off by reports of it being a bad lens. It's not. One of my magazine clients (f2, my old magazine) used one of my NEX-5n 16mm shots at f/8 as a double page spread this month. There is no part of the image at f/8 which is not perfect in the plane of focus....
David
+1 about the comment of David on my side too for 16mm 2.8 experience on the NEX-7 so far.

And we should not forget that Sony had made smart small lens adapter to transform the 16mm 2.8 in a ultra wide lens with again a very small size and also a fish eye. Since I use the Ultra wide adapter with the 16mm 2.8 I'm a position to create wonderful movie view. For the price the ultra wide adapter is a complete no brainier. There is a lot of CA, but I was able to correct them even in movie using Sony Vegas standard version.

Example of the NEX 7 with the 16mm 2.8 + ultra wide converter: (@ F4.5) And if you are interest in the LA-EA1, I was impress last week to found that very cheap (and very good quality build) case for the NEX 7 [[http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110835636266?ssP ... 1065wt_952 ]] can accept any small prime of Minolta (24,28,35,50) AF lenses combined with the adapter.

And this is the same story for all the old MD lens with 10$ adapter. Even the 58mm 1.2 is able to fit in this case with the MD adapter. (and more easy the 50mm 1.2).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Cool tractor Frank - nice picture :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

and all this time I thought MF stood for something else, and now I see it stands for Massey-Ferguson... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Dr. Harout wrote:and all this time I thought MF stood for something else, and now I see it stands for Massey-Ferguson... :wink:
good one ! :-) we need to pay attention to that now.

frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )