Thom Hogan: The Chicken and the Egg

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Thom Hogan: The Chicken and the Egg

Unread post by bakubo »

Chicken (mirrorless cameras) and Egg (lenses):

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the ... e-egg.html

It takes lots of body sales in order for companies to finally decide there is enough money in it to be worth coming out with new lenses, but it is easier to justify coming out with new bodies.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: Thom Hogan: The Chicken and the Egg

Unread post by Mark K »

bakubo wrote:Chicken (mirrorless cameras) and Egg (lenses):

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the ... e-egg.html

It takes lots of body sales in order for companies to finally decide there is enough money in it to be worth coming out with new lenses, but it is easier to justify coming out with new bodies.
Well said. We need eggs (lenses) especially Sony nex cameras. Samsung has converted many of their DC factories in China to make NX cameras and their ambition is too obvious.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Thom Hogan: The Chicken and the Egg

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I quite like Thom's articles, but he can be a bit off at times.
I think the ILC market is so wide open it's hard to predict anything.

I'm still of the view that the compact market needs to "up it's game" to fend off the phone attack. I see that somewhat bigger sensors as the way forward (maybe Nikon 1 sized small enough to remain compact, but able to show a good step up in IQ) But I do think the ILC market is overstated esp with more players in there it's going to get pretty heated. And I don't see the depth of system every being there v the normal DSLR ones. I consider it a rangefinder type with more popular appeal.

But it's early days. Samsung have struggled despite some good ideas and some decent lenses, they don't have the brand pull to make a big hit there. I do see some very cheap NX11 bodies around though at one place £175! Not the best sensor, but the only way I'd look at one is a good deal difficult to justify a serious outlay on such a body.