Nex 7 LCD protector

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
motor
Heirophant

Nex 7 LCD protector

Unread post by motor »

I got a really cool 3rd party hard plastic LCD protector for my Nex3 that snaps on the back of the lcd screen. It was way better than the thin plastic film like cover that sony sells. I now have a Nex 7. I am looking for a good hard snap on LCD protector. I am not a fan of the adhesive type but could be convinced otherwise with some good personal reviews. Is there a snap on one out there for the Nex7? What is the best LCD protector for the Nex7?

Moater
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Nex 7 LCD protector

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'd say the GGS or Giottos gorilla glass any day over the snap-on snap-off hard plastic. Totally clear, pure glass, ultra thin and easily replaced if you do ever manage to hit the screen on a rock or something. I don't use plastic ones any more, they scratch too easily and obscure the image. All our cameras have glass protectors fixed, whether from JYY, GGS, Giottos or in the latest case an unbranded Chinese example.

David
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Thanks for the info David. There seems to be different GGS models for the nex. Does this look like the one for the nex7 you would get? You also said it comes off easy if you need to replace it. Do you have to heat the LCD to remove it? Some reviews say yes others say just a simple credit card on the corners will peel off the ends and it should just unstick. I just don't want to ruin my LCD. I know they wouldn't make it if it could destroy the LCD but I had a nighmare of a time trying to remove my zagg protective screen cover on my old Ipad 1 and man it made a mess of the screen removing it after it had been on there for "3 years."

"GGS BF Model LCD Screen Protector glass for SONY NEX-5N NEX-5 NEX-3 NEX-C3 NEX-7"
Attachments
Screen protector.jpg
Screen protector.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I used exactly that screen - the 5C type - on the NEX-7 and it was a perfect fit. The glass screen does not stock to the LCD like plastic covers. It has a thin - maybe 1-2mm wide - strip of 3M adhesive all round the edge. This is what holds is. I use a stainless steel guitar plectrum to remove them, but some makers of these screens include a plastic removal tool. A thin blade palette knife will do perfectly.

Only two days ago I bought a screen for our A580. I went and stuck it on the A77 by mistake. A minute later I'd removed it using my thin stainless 'tool' and put it on the correct camera. No visible mark at all. The adhesive is all behind the black border anyway.

David