Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT SAM ( SAL-35F18 ) with LA-EA2 on NEX-6

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
dynacam
Acolyte

Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT SAM ( SAL-35F18 ) with LA-EA2 on NEX-6

Unread post by dynacam »

Just wondering if anyone has tried this lens on the 6 ?, I am after a faster lens to use inside (at present I use a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 on the adapter)
The SEL35 f/1.8 version here in NZ is double the price and has I already have the LA-EA2 is it worth going for it.
Thanks
Graeme Knox (dynacam)
http://www.k-island.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT SAM ( SAL-35F18 ) with LA-EA2 on NEX-

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

dynacam wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried this lens on the 6 ?, I am after a faster lens to use inside (at present I use a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 on the adapter)
The SEL35 f/1.8 version here in NZ is double the price and has I already have the LA-EA2 is it worth going for it.
Thanks
I have both that lens and a NEX-6 (plus the EA-LA2). The performance of the lens has been excellent, IMO.

I should qualify that by saying that my opinion is by no means expert, but I will also say that I have found the SAL-35F18 to be superior to most of my other lenses, both on my A700 and on my NEX-6. The lens feels light and plastic, so it gives the impression of poor build quality, but the results it delivers have been very satisfactory for me.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The lens is perfect on a 7 and a bit too sharp on a 6 (and on all other 16/14Mp bodies) where it may lead to moire and colour ringing at the sharpest edges.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I tried my SAL-35F18 on an NEX-7 at a store using the LA-EA1 (different adapter, I know), but it performed very well. Not lightning fast to focus, but quick enough. With the LA-EA2, I imagine it could only get better.

BTW, I used the SAL-35F18 on a 12 MP camera for years and it was sharp, but never "too sharp" for that resolution. I don't know what "too sharp" even means, but I doubt I'll ever make that complaint.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

KevinBarrett wrote:BTW, I used the SAL-35F18 on a 12 MP camera for years and it was sharp, but never "too sharp" for that resolution. I don't know what "too sharp" even means, but I doubt I'll ever make that complaint.
The 12Mp alphas had effective LPF's. The 14/16Mp Nex's don't, hence colour ringing and moire.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Tom, nice to have you back with us :D
and a pleasant surprise to know you acquired the NEX-6.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Dr. Harout wrote:Tom, nice to have you back with us :D
and a pleasant surprise to know you acquired the NEX-6.
Thanks, Doc. Between the influenza and a couple of other forms of virus, plus a major reaction to an anti-inflammatory medication that I was given for pinched nerves in my neck, I have been having a lot of health issues since the beginning of the year. Hopefully that will now be behind me and I'll be more functional in the future.

I've been enjoying the NEX-6 very much in the limited time I have been able to use it. My reason (alibi ?) for the purchase was to put together a lighter - and smaller - set of lenses and camera for the times that I travel by air. The ability to use my old rangefinder lenses with the NEX-6 helps to meet that goal, although I did purchase the Sigma 30mm f:2.8 E-mount in addition to the 16-50mm zoom that came with the NEX-6. (At a price of $100 for a lens that has had so many favorable comments, I was unable to resist.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Glad to hear you're on the mend Tom.

Look forward to seeing some pictures from the Nex :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Birma wrote:Glad to hear you're on the mend Tom.

Look forward to seeing some pictures from the Nex :)
Be careful what you ask for . . . :wink:

I've spent at least as much time playing with old lenses on the NEX as I have taking "real" photos with modern lenses. Here are three images taken with three very different old lenses.

The first image was taken using a Jupiter 8 (Russian Sonnar) 50mm f:2.0 rangefinder lens, the second image with the Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm f:1.7 lens that I bought with my SRT-101 in 1967, and the third image was taken with an Olympus OM 85mm f:2.0 lens that a friend loaned me because it is so small and he thought it would look nice on the NEX.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
Jupiter 8-600161.jpg
(125.44 KiB) Downloaded 3091 times
Minolta 55mm-600956.jpg
(233.96 KiB) Downloaded 3091 times
Olympus 85mm-600763.jpg
(240.02 KiB) Downloaded 3091 times
dynacam
Acolyte

Unread post by dynacam »

Well just brought one from local auction site for half the price it would cost new in this country, so we wait for it to turn up. :D
Graeme Knox (dynacam)
http://www.k-island.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;