Speed-priority continuous AF for Nex-6

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Speed-priority continuous AF for Nex-6

Unread post by Vidgamer »

In the handbook manual for the Nex-6 is this blurb:
Continuing to adjust the focus and exposure during Speed Priority Continuous Shooting
Set [Autofocus Mode] to [Continuous AF] (page 83).
Set [AEL w/ shutter] to [Off] (page 129).
• If the Phase Detection AF does not work, the camera does not continue to adjust the focus
even if you set [Autofocus Mode] to [Continuous AF].
• The exposure for the first image is set when you press the shutter button halfway down.
The camera continues to adjust the exposure for the remaining images.
I've tested in poor light and good, and I can't get it to AF during a speed-continuous run at 10fps. Normal continuous works great, though, refocusing each shot. Is the manual wrong? Is this supposed to work?
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Re: Speed-priority continuous AF for Nex-6

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

Vidgamer wrote:In the handbook manual for the Nex-6 is this blurb:
Continuing to adjust the focus and exposure during Speed Priority Continuous Shooting
Set [Autofocus Mode] to [Continuous AF] (page 83).
Set [AEL w/ shutter] to [Off] (page 129).
• If the Phase Detection AF does not work, the camera does not continue to adjust the focus
• The exposure for the first image is set when you press the shutter button halfway down.
The camera continues to adjust the exposure for the remaining images.
I've tested in poor light and good, and I can't get it to AF during a speed-continuous run at 10fps. Normal continuous works great, though, refocusing each shot. Is the manual wrong? Is this supposed to work?
According to Gary Friedman in his NEX 7 book, this only works with A-mount lenses + AF adaptor. It could apply to the NEX 6 as well.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Wes Gibbon wrote: According to Gary Friedman in his NEX 7 book, this only works with A-mount lenses + AF adaptor. It could apply to the NEX 6 as well.
No, because Nex 6 DOES have phase detect on sensor.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Vidgamer wrote:• If the Phase Detection AF does not work, the camera does not continue to adjust the focus
That must be the problem. Could be any focus error that happens to all PDAF camera's. Not enough light, unsuitable subject for PDAF, subject outside PDAF area, limited PDAF sensors, front focus or back focus, PDAF not accurate enough, user error, high expectations.

As DPreview put it:
"Outdoors, the NEX-6 was able to track moving subjects surprisingly well - even when shooting at 10 frames/second. We shot ten burst sequences of an approaching bicycle (with a rather busy background behind him), and the NEX was able to track the subject about 70% of the time. We'd expect a better hit-rate from true phase-detection AF systems, but from a camera of this type, we're impressed. "
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Sounds good, but I tried a couple of times this weekend with a couple of different techniques in the daylight (slight shade), and no-go. I almost wonder if Sony broke it with their FW update?

I wish David could chime in or knew if he was able to test this on any of the PDAF cameras (but Nex-6 in particular).

Although, it's really mostly academic as far as I'm concerned. I rarely use such a high burst, and the normal continuous mode (which does seem to AF just fine) is generally sufficient. In fact, most of the time speed-burst mode is just annoying to me, rattling off extra unintended snaps, but it's nice to have for a special occasion.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've run out of funds to try ever Sony model as they now produce so many so fast, and I don't get them to review where I get Nikon and Canon and even the Fuji X-T1 arrived last week (though I have asked my son to review it instead as I have no time right now to do anything). Sony just don't care in the slightest about ANY of the things I do - any of the three magazines now or this website. We didn't go to their NEX 6000 press conference because it costs a full day, and for me, £200+ just to be told what has already been released to others several weeks before.

However I can answer the question about 'Speed Priority' - any mode which is called this will not allow AF or AE. This is always used to describe a mode where exposure and focus are locked in order to secure maximum possible sequence speed. This applies to all makes, not just Sony, which use a similar mode. In theory PDAF on SLT type cameras can focus no matter what the shutter is doing, but this is the only type of camera with this ability, and even then it is usually disabled to cut out the time taken to adjust focus.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

There's a review or preview of the Fuji where someone claimed to use the 11fps mode and it focused on a girl running towards the camera. I wonder if that was also how you state, not really possible at the full burst rate; perhaps it was done at a slower rate, and the text is confused. But there is some speculation that the new XT1 and A6000 can do this. So, maybe your son should try to test this on the XT1. :-)