Sony A6000

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony A6000

Unread post by Vidgamer »

mikeriach wrote:Well I'm just a simple A mount user and I have to admit that I am completely bamboozled by the NEX/E mount stuff. Umpteen adapters which do different things or with only limited functioning features.
What adapters do you mean? For attaching A-mount lenses? Sure, you need an adapter. But if you use native lenses, you just attach them like any other system camera.

If you mean the A-mount adapters, there are two for APS-C and now two for FF. One is a simple adapter that controls only aperture, the other also has a screw drive for DSLR-like PDAF. Options, and from Sony. Weird. ;-)
Just seems to be a disorganised, badly thought out strategy, if in fact there ever was one. I don't know how shop staff can keep up and maybe that is a reflection on the poor selection of Sony gear in shops (certainly in my area anyway).
My experience with shops is that many of them dislike Sony (not a serious brand like Canikon!), but most of them have disappeared anyway.

I think I like Sony's E-mount strategy better than A-mount. I see what they're trying to do, I think. One of the things I really like about Sony is how they try new things, even if they are a bit gimmicky (like the sweep panorama, multi-frame NR, etc.), not to mention their superior sensors.

What is Canikon's strategy? Make inferior mirrorless cameras so as not to affect their core business? Well, I'm more interested in buying a small camera rather than propping up their old DSLR line, so I make that choice as a consumer. I guess time will tell, but so far, it's working out well for them. Oh well. :?
All my lenses work on all my bodies with no issues, adapters or grief. I can't ever see me considering E mount even if the NEX bodies would be great travel cameras. If it wasn't for the excellent lenses I have, I'd be off to Canikon.

Mike
Well, of course your A-mount lenses work on your A-mount cameras. If you bought E-mount lenses, they would work on an E-mount camera in a similar fashion.

But I really love the ability to attach an A-mount lens especially for use with tele lenses which aren't as good/plentiful in e-mount yet.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think the point about compatibility is a valid one. Reading the Sony interview they were trying to push this and use the new Alpha naming on E mount as a reason.
The reality is somewhat different though. E Mount lenses are not compatible with A Mount!
That is quite obvious and I'm sure consumers will get confused be they A mount or E mount buyers.

Sony's current 4 models of adaptors also add to confusion among buyers, 2 APS-C, 2 FF some supporting AF for screw drive lenses some not.
If we're honest it's a bit of a mess and Sony have to carry the can for this it's their product.

Sony might be more successful with E mount, but I wouldn't hold my breath either. They have a poor history of fixing issues in firmware, FF E mount users will be far more demanding and will expect problems to be sorted out in a timely way. Likewise it's going to take some time to build up the lens range, and the critical element is third party support for lenses and flashes and things like that. Without it Sony will still struggle in the market just as they have with A Mount. Buyers need choices and want their options open.

I doubt Canon care much the ILC adoption rates in Europe are pathetic something like 10% of the market if that, it's a bit better USA maybe 20-25% but it's a small slice of the pie v their DSLR business. Just because Japan likes ILC's doesn't mean this type of product will gain huge traction in other markets.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I can fully understand why people choose Canikon when they go for a DSLR or IL camera. No confusion with different formats/lens mounts and lens ranges, an established world renowned reputation, brands the majority of pros use , a model in all price ranges and a vast lens range with all the accessories you will ever need.
It seems Sony are thrashing around in the dark with no clear objectives, a complete indifference to Sony users in particular A mount users and they have failed to connect miserably with the buying public. Canikon on the other hand are going about their business in their usual efficient way giving people what they want at good prices and with a massive system back up.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

A question, are you so infatuated by Canikon lads or are you on the rebound because you have been jilted by Sony ?
classiccameras
Viceroy

I suppose quoting Canikon every time we have a gripe about Sony is probably over done, but I have seen this so often with camera brands, people always think the grass is greener, which often is not the case. I guess Canikon is some sort of bench mark that some people use as an example of where Sony should be in the market place, some hope there, I think most of our critisism is well founded as its blaringly obvious that Sony are not performing too well in certain areas.
Having said all that, my A-37 and A57 are the best DSLR cameras I have ever owned and I have no intention of moving over to Canikon unless Sony dump on me big time and then it would probably be Pentax.
bfitzgerald

He has a point though. People complain about Canon being the boring old git of the camera world, sensors that are 4 years old +, not making any effort with ILC in any really serious way..that DSLR's are dead and dinosaurs use them, death to that nasty mirror etc etc.

Problem is Canon seem to be doing just fine plodding away with their vast system behind them. However you want to slice it being different doesn't always mean successful, and that applies as much to Sony as it does other makers. I just think the entire ILC "modern tech" is missing the point completely.

It's cost cutting, rather than actually sitting down and listening to users needs or what people want. We've a ton of ILC systems now many mounts and lots of choices, but it's never enough.

I had a giggle reading this thread on DPR..
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3624103

To top if off the Canon lens costs £950 v the £1250 pre order price on the Sony E mount lens.
Folks constantly talk about "it's the system and the lenses that matter" let's not get carried away E mount is not going to kill Canon and we all know that
And the smaller lighter lenses argument is a myth too FF mirrorless lenses are not smaller than FF DSLR lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yeah the DPR thread was funny but made a valid point, I was in my local Camera shop this morning as it was an Olympus open day with Oly UK guys there and all the cameras on display. What made me chuckl was an EM1 fitted with a giant tele zoom, can't remember the dimensions but it looked like a credit card fixed to the end of a drain pipe. The balance was awful. Mind you the battery pack/grip fitted was almost as big as the camera body which helped a bit.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I bought a secondhand 70-200 f2.8 but to be honest I'd rather have a smaller and lighter full frame f4 equivalent but they only make the E mount. Why not an A mount version as well?
And then a full frame matching 24-105 f4, yes please.

Some of the basic designs already exist such as the Minolta beercan and 24-105. They just need updating.

Come on Sony get the finger out.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

bfitzgerald wrote:I think the point about compatibility is a valid one. Reading the Sony interview they were trying to push this and use the new Alpha naming on E mount as a reason.
The reality is somewhat different though. E Mount lenses are not compatible with A Mount!
That is quite obvious and I'm sure consumers will get confused be they A mount or E mount buyers.
Well, if a user attempts to attach an E-mount lens to his A-mount camera and it fails to engage, hopefully he'll figure it out soon enough. :lol:
Sony's current 4 models of adaptors also add to confusion among buyers, 2 APS-C, 2 FF some supporting AF for screw drive lenses some not.
If we're honest it's a bit of a mess and Sony have to carry the can for this it's their product.
They didn't have an FF Nex before, so the FF adapters didn't exist until just recently. What would you tell FF users to do, only use APS-C A-mount lenses? It may be that Sony won't even bother making the APS-C adapters anymore. As for having one for screw drive and one not, it gives one choices. Where Sony doesn't give one choices, I'm sure there'd be more reason to complain. Most E-mount buyers don't have to concern themselves with the adapters at all, though. I think y'all overstate the problem.
Sony might be more successful with E mount, but I wouldn't hold my breath either. They have a poor history of fixing issues in firmware,
They tend to fix bugs in FW, but not so much esoteric concerns about lack of bracketing choices, for example. Having said that, they actually have released FW for certain cameras to increase the bracketing..... But in general, I would buy a Sony camera expecting only the features it has at that moment, and not assume that a FW update will be forthcoming to offer new features.

Meanwhile, while their "apps" seem a bit gimmicky, it doesn't require a FW update in order to get a new feature. So, while a FW update might not be forthcoming, you might find something in the apps to your liking. Or not. But it is a way to add features without requiring a more significant system change.
FF E mount users will be far more demanding and will expect problems to be sorted out in a timely way.
People went crazy over the A7 and A7r, and things seem pretty positive. The UI is different and sounds like it's much improved over the Nex. Top IQ at a good price. What problems need sorting?
Likewise it's going to take some time to build up the lens range, and the critical element is third party support for lenses and flashes and things like that. Without it Sony will still struggle in the market just as they have with A Mount. Buyers need choices and want their options open.
I'm using my old Sony F42 flash on my Nex-6 with an adapter. Works great! I love being able to use HSS. Quite awesome. Now if only I had a use for it...... :roll:

If you want every possible lens, Sony couldn't build a "complete" range on A-mount, and they won't be able to for E-mount either. If you need to have the potential access to the largest number of native-mount lenses, you'll just need to stick to Canikon. In actuality, people talk about this need more than they seem to exercise it. As in, what lens in particular do you want that Sony doesn't make? In the early days of Nex, people would name a lens, and eventually Sony would make it. Then they'd name another, and Sony would come out with it. Then it wouldn't be good enough, how could Sony be so blind? And so on. Move the goal posts.
I doubt Canon care much the ILC adoption rates in Europe are pathetic something like 10% of the market if that, it's a bit better USA maybe 20-25% but it's a small slice of the pie v their DSLR business. Just because Japan likes ILC's doesn't mean this type of product will gain huge traction in other markets.
Maybe not, but it's not like Sony is gaining huge inroads selling A-mount cameras. If anything,they seem to be treading water. At least with the smaller cameras, they are making new sales and making an impact. For some of us, this is a big deal, a market underserved by Canikon.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

bfitzgerald wrote:He has a point though. People complain about Canon being the boring old git of the camera world, sensors that are 4 years old +, not making any effort with ILC in any really serious way..that DSLR's are dead and dinosaurs use them, death to that nasty mirror etc etc.

Problem is Canon seem to be doing just fine plodding away with their vast system behind them. However you want to slice it being different doesn't always mean successful, and that applies as much to Sony as it does other makers. I just think the entire ILC "modern tech" is missing the point completely.
Sure they're fine. I know two people who bought into Canon recently because they're familiar with the name. They just know that it's a reliable standard. That's something that Sony is up against.

As for "DSLRs are dead", we'll see in several years. If all manufacturers eventually adopt OSPDAF and EVF and drop the mirror, but they otherwise look and operate like DSLRs, and if they function the same, then we can say that the mirror died, and Canon didn't have to die with it. It would appear that it's just a matter of time, now. Canikon don't even need to change their mount, but then, they won't be able to take advantage of the smaller sizes that are possible. Perhaps that would not be important to them or their users.

Regardless of the future, for a long period, both these two companies and their users are locked into the lens mount for their system. That has a lot to do with the stability.
It's cost cutting, rather than actually sitting down and listening to users needs or what people want. We've a ton of ILC systems now many mounts and lots of choices, but it's never enough.
Who should they listen to? They obviously have customers which are happy with their cameras, so how are we to know what the average Sony buyer needs or wants? They may know better than you think!
I had a giggle reading this thread on DPR..
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3624103

To top if off the Canon lens costs £950 v the £1250 pre order price on the Sony E mount lens.
Folks constantly talk about "it's the system and the lenses that matter" let's not get carried away E mount is not going to kill Canon and we all know that
And the smaller lighter lenses argument is a myth too FF mirrorless lenses are not smaller than FF DSLR lenses.
When you're not looking at tele lenses, it really helps to have a short registration distance. For long lenses, it doesn't make much of a difference. If you want a smaller lens with a lot of reach, it helps to have a smaller sensor, but that's another system.... Anyway, if you only want to use tele zoom lenses, sure, just stick with DSLRs. Why not? That doesn't mean that the E-mount systems aren't desirable as compact cameras with shorter focal lengths. It just means that E-mount is more flexible. :wink:
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Canon and Nikon are not going away, they too large a share of the current market for that. With the amount they can spend on magazine advertising and product placement who is going to bite the hand that's feeding it ?

Their strategy of it's deja vu all over again has a very comforting ring and provides a suggestion of long term certainty. Companies certainly look to get the most out of a successful idea, nothing wrong with that. It's why I am an advocate of an APS A6 using the internals of the A6000. But Canon is going to stick with on idea for too long, ? just as Henry Ford kept the Model T in production year after year and then the market not only turned but the T was a decade out of date. The hundreds of thousands of churned out MBAs don't make for successful product or successful corporations. Just like you could have a Model T in any shade as long as its black, you can have a graduate MBA in any shade as long as it is beige and certified to be theologically sound.

Sony on the other hand was giving a first class version of management by drunken sailor. Not entirely only their fault, after all they were well and truly bushwhacked by Konica Minolta. They apparently thought that they had more time to develop their concept as to where to go. So they had to run with what they were left with and internally everyone was pushing their own ideas. Their existing customer base was probably of little help here as there so many people pushing their own barrows !

With the maturing of certain technologies and a decade of experience it would appear that Sony are likely to reached a conclusion about where they want to be and what they are going to do. Pity that they are so dreadfully bad about explaining it. Both to the media and buying public.Their lack of logic in relabeling the Nex really is a classic.

I wouldn't be expecting too many future A mount cameras after 2015 although a hybrid mount just like hybrid focusing is likely. A complete transition to a completely E mount is likely to be a long term affair just like the way Nikon gradually stopped making screw drive lenses. Whether this is achieved by an adapter or a hybrid mount or both we will wait and see. I think such a strategy is financially and practically necessary. The mentioning of dual focus motors in lenses seem to bear this out.

Although many people are angry with what they see as being blind sided by Sonys changing ideas, they did look after those KM customers who did suffer from the black frame problem. So I am more optimistic that Sony will provide a decent set of transition options than I suppose some others are.

There could still be new A mount lenses to be announced, after all if you have spent time and money on getting ready for production why not ? Also if you accept the need to a long transition then why not ? I am like a number of photographers in that I do have a number of screw drive lenses so I certainly hope Sony does provide a transition solution. But the number of people and lenses concerned are not that many in relation to the numbers of SAM and SSM lenses will need an upgrade path.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Wasn't this about the Sony A6000?

peterottaway wrote:Canon and Nikon are not going away, they too large a share of the current market for that.
Who said they were going away? They will survive, if they can adapt to changes. Although they don't seem to be in the best position if the future is mirrorless, as long as people like the DSLR-shaped bodies, they can drop the mirror and continue as if nothing happened.
With the amount they can spend on magazine advertising and product placement who is going to bite the hand that's feeding it ?
I've seen Sony ads; not sure how they compare with Canikon ads. But when they come out with something as revolutionary as the A7, it's bound to get attention.
Their strategy of it's deja vu all over again has a very comforting ring and provides a suggestion of long term certainty. Companies certainly look to get the most out of a successful idea, nothing wrong with that. It's why I am an advocate of an APS A6 using the internals of the A6000.
I agree, I wondered if maybe they would do something like make an APS-C A6. The A7 could get people's attention, but a lower priced A6 would sell more. Then again, the Nex-6 was a popular design, so making the A6000 fits more with your theme of comfortably doing the same thing.

On another forum, someone commented about Canon making modest changes year after year. And yet, there are those who will upgrade every year. This seems a bit OCD to me, but it must work for Canon!
But Canon is going to stick with on idea for too long, ? just as Henry Ford kept the Model T in production year after year and then the market not only turned but the T was a decade out of date. ....

Sony on the other hand was giving a first class version of management by drunken sailor. Not entirely only their fault, after all they were well and truly bushwhacked by Konica Minolta. They apparently thought that they had more time to develop their concept as to where to go. So they had to run with what they were left with and internally everyone was pushing their own ideas. Their existing customer base was probably of little help here as there so many people pushing their own barrows !
I'm convinced that if a company listed to what everyone on the internet told them to do, they'd go mad with some odd Frankenstein cobbled-together mix of odd parts. It must be small, but large enough to feel "balanced" with huge f2.8 tele lenses. It must have a small sensor to have a small size, but a large FF sensor for maximum IQ. It must have pancake lenses, primes, zooms and f2.8 zooms and consumer zooms, and no one is happy with an f4 zoom because it's neither of those. So what does Sony do? They make f4 zooms that are practical. Go figure.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned A3000 as evidence of Sony's lack of planning. Instead, it's a concerted effort to see if a different body style is important. If enough people want a DSLR-style e-mount, Sony will be happy to accommodate. Why not? It's not abandoning the mount, it's giving people the design that they are more comfortable with.
With the maturing of certain technologies and a decade of experience it would appear that Sony are likely to reached a conclusion about where they want to be and what they are going to do. Pity that they are so dreadfully bad about explaining it. Both to the media and buying public.Their lack of logic in relabeling the Nex really is a classic.
Overall, I think they've had a vision, and have been slowly moving towards it for years. It wasn't a random choice that they went with the SLT with the EVF! Perhaps the technology isn't moving fast enough to get them where they want to be fast enough. I do think they underestimated the Nex popularity, even though some try to label it as a failure because it hasn't de-throned DSLRs.

With Nex's relabeling, how much logic and explanation do they need? They dropped the name. Perhaps they don't understand the sensitivity of people relying on a system, wanting to be reassured that they aren't dropping the e-mount or aren't dropping the general design of a smaller camera, but that was not something I worried about... but I can see where some might be concerned. Sure enough, a couple of months later, and we see new cameras that are Nex-like. No need to panic.
I wouldn't be expecting too many future A mount cameras after 2015 although a hybrid mount just like hybrid focusing is likely. A complete transition to a completely E mount is likely to be a long term affair just like the way Nikon gradually stopped making screw drive lenses. Whether this is achieved by an adapter or a hybrid mount or both we will wait and see. I think such a strategy is financially and practically necessary. The mentioning of dual focus motors in lenses seem to bear this out.
If OSPDAF becomes good enough, all they need to do is drop the mirror. Although, I'm not sure how well the screw drive will work with a "hybrid AF" system, as the e-mount cameras still cannot focus with screw-drive without the SLT part, and apparently the new lenses need the dual-motor setup, like you say.
Although many people are angry with what they see as being blind sided by Sonys changing ideas, they did look after those KM customers who did suffer from the black frame problem. So I am more optimistic that Sony will provide a decent set of transition options than I suppose some others are.
Sony does have a habit, though, of making you buy new equipment to get new features. So, hopefully there will be some adapters to still make use of old lenses, like now. I agree, Sony has done a pretty good job of keeping the old a-mount going. However, I know that some have not been happy with the direction they've gone. I can see where some might not like the SLT direction; I'm not sure I'm a fan of it either, but it's a valid direction even if it's not one I want to go in.
There could still be new A mount lenses to be announced, after all if you have spent time and money on getting ready for production why not ? Also if you accept the need to a long transition then why not ? I am like a number of photographers in that I do have a number of screw drive lenses so I certainly hope Sony does provide a transition solution. But the number of people and lenses concerned are not that many in relation to the numbers of SAM and SSM lenses will need an upgrade path.
When I got the A100, I got a number of Minolta and Tamron lenses, some used. I don't think I bought a single Sony lens! So, I don't have any SAM or SSM lenses. It was great for Sony to have such good support for old lenses, but they didn't exactly make a lot of money from me like they could have if they forced me to buy new lenses. :-) Then again, that's why I didn't buy Nikon, mostly -- only the lower-end camera (D40? I don't recall) was in my budget, and it only supported the non-screw-drive lenses, and there weren't a lot of them. Sony was a better deal.

That's what I think is missing in a lot of these conversations comparing camera brands -- Sony often gives a better deal. Sure, you can often see these crazy low-end DSLR deals these days, but I wonder if they make any profit on that or if it's an attempt to lock people into a system?

Anyway, back to the original topic of the A6000, I saw a video of the focusing, and it seems very impressive. I love the small green boxes that track as you pan around! Very cool.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I guess to a certain extent, Canon and Nikon have not made any revolutionary
new design or function changes to their current D range cameras. Canon un like Nikon have as Barry pointed out not had an update on their 4+ year old 18mp sensor. However I suspect it was so good in the first place that Canon said if it aint broke don't fix it, but there must come a time when new technology should be adopted for new models.
Trouble is with so many up grades from all the manufacturers happening almost on a 12 Month basis, many upgrades come with down sides and its like 2 steps forward, one step back. I don't think 24 mp has done Nikon huge favours, but then I was not in favour of Sony going 24mp either especially on APS-C.

Canon have quietly brought out some inovative new tech on the 700D and 70D and do you notice that the 70D has a far more sensible 20mp sensor, without shouting too loudly about it. All Nikon seem to be capable of is just more and more Pixels as their main selling point. I'm sure there's more to Nikon than just pixels but thats how it seems. I guess buying a Canikon is in a way like buying peace of mind, its almost like 'brand affection' so often seen amongst car owners. So in most cases, once a Canon user always a Canon user! Thats a very comforting position to be in photographically speaking.
bfitzgerald

In the current climate peace of mind if pretty important. I can't see Canikon dumping their mounts for obvious reasons.
Other makers are not so secure.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

I agree that there is a strong incentive for Canikon to preserve their respective mounts. It's part of how they capture market share, so they will not give it up easily. Other manufacturers have less to lose.

By "current climate", I guess you mean the economic slowdown? I think Sony is making a bit of a disruption play, and Canikon are not entirely safe.

As for car brands, there is a lot of fanboyism there. And computers, videogames, and probably any hobby.

How about that A6000, though? :D