(SR5) first images and full specs of the Sony A3500!

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

(SR5) first images and full specs of the Sony A3500!

Unread post by alphaomega »

SAR have just posted first images and specification for a new NEX type mount camera A3500.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-firs ... ony-a3500/
Not sure what to think. First I thought this was a new A mount camera and then it dawned upon me that this is actually an E mount camera. It will take me years to get over the confusion between what is A and E mount cameras the way the names have been "co-ordinated" i.e. made confusing.
Can somebody please advise what is new and exiting? I for one cannot raise my "exitement meter" one inch.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: (SR5) first images and full specs of the Sony A3500!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It looks the same as the A3000 bar the new "slower non IS kit lens" (wow that's sure to grab folks)
The spec looks the same as the last one, same ultra low res rear LCD, we assume the same iffy EVF, same sensor

Sony really went to town on this model! (cough)
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Not nearly enough information on AF and exposure arrangements to work on. But this is an entry level camera and not a BarryCamera ! Perhaps some A5000 parts ?

Most of those who would buy this camera are not looking for an A5/A6/A7xxx family replacement and wouldn't know ( and wouldn't be interested ) what is on offer for $1000 rather than $500.

At least it confirms yet again the Sony house style :shock:

I'm not sure whether this is a deliberate leak to keep Sony on the front page or not. Or to put it in Australian political vernacular " time to feed the chooks ".
bfitzgerald

Actually a Barrycamera is something people want to buy, not mock!
I'm quite happy to buy a product that's interesting in some way.

Even leaving the E Mount aspect aside it's not exactly mind blowing stuff..low res this, cut down that. It's a sensor shoved in a casing
People are not going to buy this over a Canon EOS 1100d or EOS 1200d simple as that.

Must try harder!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Hard to tell. Seems to be pretty much exactly the same as the A3000. What changed? Did something desirable get removed?
bfitzgerald

There was nothing desirable in the first place, bar the sensor being decent enough :mrgreen:
I have not seen any back shots of the camera, maybe they changed the NEX type layout for something a bit more DSLR ish

Looking at the spec sheet I can't see anything else that's different, maybe they put another "cat" mode in there or something :lol:
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

peterottaway wrote:Not nearly enough information on AF and exposure arrangements to work on. But this is an entry level camera and not a BarryCamera ! Perhaps some A5000 parts ?

Most of those who would buy this camera are not looking for an A5/A6/A7xxx family replacement and wouldn't know ( and wouldn't be interested ) what is on offer for $1000 rather than $500.
That is the point of these cameras. Sony is using the A3000 and A3500 to compete with dirt-cheap entry-level DSLRs that Barry probably wouldn't prefer either.
At least it confirms yet again the Sony house style :shock:
Do you mean the DSLR-like styling? At least Sony came out with the A5000 and soon the A6000, so they do have more than one style.
I'm not sure whether this is a deliberate leak to keep Sony on the front page or not. Or to put it in Australian political vernacular " time to feed the chooks ".
The A3000 hasn't been out a year, has it? Seems a bit sudden for a new model. I'm also wondering what has changed?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I suspect that it's because that with the A5000 and A6000 the internals have been modified or updated and the A3000 had to be replaced as well.
So it could be as simple as a lack of the older parts supply combined with production feedback and the need to update the UI to the latest standard.

Barry seems to be offended by me using the concept of the BarryCamera. I simply used this to contrast Sonys current offerings with what not only Barry but a whole group want to Sony to produce.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Hard to tell. Seems to be pretty much exactly the same as the A3000. What changed? Did something desirable get removed?
dpreview has the A3500 info now:

Sony has announced its new Alpha 3500 (a3500) which, at this point, is only for the Australian market. The camera is identical to the a3000, with the exception of a new kit lens. This 18-50mm F4.0-5.6 lens is less impressive than the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 zoom that came with the a3000, as it's shorter, slower, and lacks image stabilization. The a3500 will be available soon for AU$499.

Yeah, they removed something desirable. I have noticed that often Sony replaces models with newer ones that have desirable features removed. Has the price changed?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

bakubo wrote:
bakubo wrote:Hard to tell. Seems to be pretty much exactly the same as the A3000. What changed? Did something desirable get removed?
dpreview has the A3500 info now:

Sony has announced its new Alpha 3500 (a3500) which, at this point, is only for the Australian market. The camera is identical to the a3000, with the exception of a new kit lens. This 18-50mm F4.0-5.6 lens is less impressive than the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 zoom that came with the a3000, as it's shorter, slower, and lacks image stabilization. The a3500 will be available soon for AU$499.

Yeah, they removed something desirable. I have noticed that often Sony replaces models with newer ones that have desirable features removed. Has the price changed?
Unless DPR has a sample of the camera and has tested it and the new lens, then I think they are making some large assumptions based on a spec sheet and a couple of publicity shots. To support some of their claims they would have to do a tear down of an A3000 and a A3500.

A bad case of specifectionitis ?
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

When I go to B&H, the Canon t3i is $500, with kit lens. It's probably discounted more elsewhere. I think this is what Sony is trying to compete with. They can't compete with that in the A-mount, particularly if they're forced to lower the price to make sales.

Saying that the A3500 doesn't interest you doesn't really mean anything unless you're in the market for an entry-level DSLR-like camera. The A7 doesn't interest me a whole lot, but that's not because it isn't a great camera, it's because I think what I have is the "sweet spot", the best combination of quality and handling.

It makes sense to me that more expensive cameras would have better features, and with more restrictive features, the A3000 and A3500 should be a lot cheaper. For some people on a tight budget, it would be a way to get top IQ, provided that they put more work into the photography. I used film and digital cameras for years with poor VFs and LCDs and still managed to get results. Yeah, I like better cameras, but the key is that I can afford better cameras; I can't afford the top-end cameras. Sony makes a camera for each budget range, as they should.